Headliner predictions 2017

swede

I'd be at gaga in a heartbeat. Watched the SB last night and felt like she put in more effort in her 13 minutes than half the players did over about 3 hours. To be that active and retain the quality of voice she did is unbelievable to me really. I was gassed just watching. 

Plus the fact, like someone mentioned earlier, she has the ability to tone it right down to a single piano and just sing well, followed by ramping it up for some mega pop dance numbers shows she is uber talented. 

Ive gone all fan girl for her right now. 

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, amb said:

Long time reader but don't usually post(!) however I emailed LiveNation about ticket prices earlier this morning and they start at £35 for seated in Manchester, progressing to £55, £80 and then £105 plus booking fee :) 

Which seems reasonable enough relative to other arena gigs, given the show you know you're going to get. The VIP packages are absolutely tragic but if suckers will be suckers..

i imagine that Gagas dates rule her out for Glastonbury. I never really believed she was playing anyway.

shes not gonna come to the UK for a one off show (that she isn't even headlining) in the months that she'l be deep in rehearsal, for her own tour.

plus, since when has Glasto ever had a sub as strong as lady Gaga?

50 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

i imagine that Gagas dates rule her out for Glastonbury. I never really believed she was playing anyway.

shes not gonna come to the UK for a one off show (that she isn't even headlining) in the months that she'l be deep in rehearsal, for her own tour.

plus, since when has Glasto ever had a sub as strong as lady Gaga?

Yeah I thought the same on seeing those dates. I've always been sceptical but if there was a glaring gap that Glasto would fit into then woulda been hard to argue against. Now it's like when Madonna was the rumour a couple of years ago and then the dates landed and her tour kicked off in August or September or something, essentially killing it off.

At most I think she might visit for a jolly and do a late night set or something as she hoped to do last time, and that's where the 'special guest' chatter originated. I know she was all like "I can't say!" when asked about this year's Glastonbury but, at the same time, look at this berk:

Edited by dentalplan

6 hours ago, Cornelius_Fudge said:

Robbie subbing Ed? Two "singer songwriters/entertainers" back to back?

Good bloody grief

Which reminds me......Was watching the one hit wonder programme on the iplayer at the weekend over a late night refreshment. One of the tunes immediately reminded me of Ed, next thing a wee caption came up on screen saying that Sheeran had worked as a roadie or something for the fella.

Apologies if this has already been covered but I had originally bought in to the Sheeran busker comes good, sells out wembley, headlines Glastonbury fairy tale. He`s not my cup of tea but I wasn`t going to begrudge the fella.

Now I`m not so sure.

If someone else is writing your songs and you are " acting " them out in the style of someone else ( if that`s what`s happening here ) then when is an " artist " an " actor " or " entertainer " and should they be headlining the pyramid....

These might not be the best choice of words and of course everyone up there will be an " entertainer "of sorts but from the video, it`s all rather familiar.

15 minutes ago, danegg said:

Loved Gaga at SB last night..but am a big fan anyway. Came on here to see what y'all reckoned her odds were now the tour is announced. Gotta agree that it seems unlikely now! Shame.

Not so sure, Neil will have seen those dates and she is still a SR. If she wants to do it and realises that she won't be able to next year then it's probably incentive and after her career hit a snag, a BBC Coverage set is not only a flatwork for her October dates but also for possible bigger dates next year.

If she is there, it's a must see over anyone, that being said I won't have to miss the two headliners for it.

17 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Not so sure, Neil will have seen those dates and she is still a SR. If she wants to do it and realises that she won't be able to next year then it's probably incentive and after her career hit a snag, a BBC Coverage set is not only a flatwork for her October dates but also for possible bigger dates next year.

If she is there, it's a must see over anyone, that being said I won't have to miss the two headliners for it.

Fingers crossed then! Though I don't currently have a ticket so will be gutted if she's there and i'm not! We shall see how the resale pans out...

22 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

yeah, I've seen the dates, and they don't give anything away. 

22 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yeah, I've seen the dates, and they don't give anything away. 

No  I know, I'll admit that I didn't expect the dates when they are but I don't think they rule it out.

Something to put into perspective a little though, to get from where she lives to Rio for that American gig will take her the same amount of time roughly as to get from New York to Bristol. While there is room to add to after the Rio date, there isn't much due the the 1st euro date. It might add a little to that she's isn't apposed to making random long haul flights if she wants to.

Edited by thewayiam

1 hour ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Which reminds me......Was watching the one hit wonder programme on the iplayer at the weekend over a late night refreshment. One of the tunes immediately reminded me of Ed, next thing a wee caption came up on screen saying that Sheeran had worked as a roadie or something for the fella.

Apologies if this has already been covered but I had originally bought in to the Sheeran busker comes good, sells out wembley, headlines Glastonbury fairy tale. He`s not my cup of tea but I wasn`t going to begrudge the fella.

Now I`m not so sure.

If someone else is writing your songs and you are " acting " them out in the style of someone else ( if that`s what`s happening here ) then when is an " artist " an " actor " or " entertainer " and should they be headlining the pyramid....

These might not be the best choice of words and of course everyone up there will be an " entertainer "of sorts but from the video, it`s all rather familiar.

I remember this song and it's cute little hand drawn CD cover.

I didn't know of any link to the Sheerenator either but they do sound kind of similar, but then there's an awful lot of this kind of stuff about too. Clinkly little melodies and soft voices etc.

But I agree, if you're just up there as the face of someone else's writing and imagery then you're more entertainer than artist, and also not so wonderful at the same time.

Beyonce had 72 "writers" on her last album apparently...  not that many people seemed to care.

26 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I think if they have actually booked Gaga in a non headline slot it's going to be one of the biggest ever coups by the festival 

Indeed!, Gaga gets the festival is the festival too, she has said many times about her love for it and I mean look at her wacky styles and all the art etc etc that the festival lays on.

If she makes the effort for a sub spot now then 2/3 years down the lineup when it's back, possibly around the 50th event of it, she may reap the rewards and get that headline spot on the perfect occasion.

We should remember to that any booking would have been done before she cleared up at the bowl.

51 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Something to put into perspective a little though, to get from where she lives to Rio for that American gig will take her the same amount of time roughly as to get from New York to Bristol. While there is room to add to after the Rio date, there isn't much due the the 1st euro date. It might add a little to that she's isn't apposed to making random long haul flights if she wants to.

The potential question mark with Gaga, and many other big acts for that matter won't be the length of the flight.. It'll be whether they're geared up to play. Which means that they're properly rehearsed (or don't need to be depending on the act), and that the band and crew are available and don't have any other obligations.

Yes, I know that the Superbowl was a one off performance well away from any other shows, but a 12 minute carefully planned appearance in a heavily controlled environment is going to be a different story to a full blown 60-90 minute Festival set.

1 minute ago, incident said:

The potential question mark with Gaga, and many other big acts for that matter won't be the length of the flight.. It'll be whether they're geared up to play. Which means that they're properly rehearsed (or don't need to be depending on the act), and that the band and crew are available and don't have any other obligations.

Yes, I know that the Superbowl was a one off performance well away from any other shows, but a 12 minute carefully planned appearance in a heavily controlled environment is going to be a different story to a full blown 60-90 minute Festival set.

I know, but if Gaga has been booked for as long as it's being said then the availability of any crew etc needed would have been checked far in advance. Also if they are booked for that week in June then they can't be booked further down the line for anything wanted.

It is a little more about how far etc as unlike the Rio and Indianapolis gigs, Glasto won't be offering big money....but they will offer every other incentive for her and she knows that.

13 minutes ago, Cornelius_Fudge said:

I remember this song and it's cute little hand drawn CD cover.

I didn't know of any link to the Sheerenator either but they do sound kind of similar, but then there's an awful lot of this kind of stuff about too. Clinkly little melodies and soft voices etc.

But I agree, if you're just up there as the face of someone else's writing and imagery then you're more entertainer than artist, and also not so wonderful at the same time.

Not the case with Ed, he was a guitar tech for Nizlopi when he was trying to get a foothold in the industry, and he cites them in his book as influential on his style, but they don't write his songs for him

tbh there are so many festivals still to announce stuff in June and July, Gaga could be doing a whole bunch we just don't know about yet. She only needs to be announced for Werchter, Open'er, Roskilde etc and suddenly she isn't flying over exclusively for Eavis' bash at all. She could even be at TRNSMT given they may well have a sub or two yet to be announced, indeed that would fit with the absence of any Scottish dates in the Autumn. 

Edited by Zac Quinn

Just now, Zac Quinn said:

tbh there are so many festivals still to announce stuff in June and July, Gaga could be doing a whole bunch we just don't know about yet. She only needs to be announced for Werchter, Open'er, Roskilde etc and suddenly she isn't flying over exclusively for Eavis' bash at all. She could even be at TRNSMT given they may well have a sub or two yet to be announced, that would fit with not having any Scottish dates in the Autumn. 

I hope you were chuckling to yourself when you wrote that out. :P

But yeah if she had lots of festivals to announce then it'd be all go but it doesn't look that way. Most of the major ones already have their headliners and I'm sure she's not at a point where she's not a headliner anywhere so I doubt it's forthcoming.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I hope you were chuckling to yourself when you wrote that out. :P

But yeah if she had lots of festivals to announce then it'd be all go but it doesn't look that way. Most of the major ones already have their headliners and I'm sure she's not at a point where she's not a headliner anywhere so I doubt it's forthcoming.

Of course that stands up as a logical reading into it, but we don't know anything of the sort so my point is saying "uh yar everybody the only possible conclusion from those tour dates is that she's going on a religious sabbatical in June and July so will definitely not be appearing and thus we must halt all discussion at once or forever be ashamed" is a bit hasty :P

Edited by Zac Quinn