Which expected Pyramid Headliners have you seen Live before?

gfa

Which expected Pyramid Headliners have you seen Live before?  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Just curious! Who have you seen before?

• Arctic Monkeys
    • Guns N Roses
    • Elton John

April will be my 9th time I've seen Elton John. The first occasion was in the LA Forum in 1984. First song, inevitably, was Tiny Dancer (''LA Lady...''). After the gig I slept the night in my rented car as I'd gone way over my holiday budget buying the ticket. Only later did I learn I'd slept in Compton which was notoriously crime ridden at the time.

I've seen the Arctic Monkeys 3 times, Manchester, T in the Park & Glastonbury.

Not seen GNR or Elton before, and in truth, only really know a couple of songs so wasn't as bothered.

Arctic Monkeys I've seen 4 times - London O2 in 2011, Earl's Court in 2013, Finsbury Park in 2014 and at Mad Cool Festival in 2018. Best show was unquestionably the 2011 concert, which is the only time I've seen them pre-AM. Madrid 2018 was next in sequence though. EC13 was a decent performance but there was no bass, FP14 was too slow and too quiet.

Seen all of them before, Arctic Monkeys at The Plug, Sheffield in 2005, Cambridge in 2006 and Glastonbury 2007 and 2013.

GnR Wembley Stadium in 1992 at the Freddie Mercury tribute. Elton John also in 1992 and also at Wembley Stadium with Eric Clapton, Bonnie Raitt and Curtis Stiger.

This will be the first time I actually want to see all three Pyramid headliners! 

Elton in 1984, Birmingham NEC.

Really disappointing as had been listening to his live in Moscow concert since 1979 and was expecting brilliance. Never bothered since.

have not seen either of the other 2 and have no intentions this year.

Watched Arctic Monkeys once. It was in Wigan at Club Nirvana tickets £6. Think it was when they only had the demo of what became their first album out. Never seen them since.

I watched Chic when AM headlined the pyramid last time.

Never seen GNR and of no interest.

Elton John probably watch as last chance. 

Never seen AM as have no interest in them. They were at MAdCool the year I was there so could have checked them out, but they clashed with Alice in Chains.

Seen GNR 5 times: Wembley 92, Download 06, Brum NEC 10, Download 18 and Tottenham 22. Always enjoyed them and they often have moments that are great, but there is so little variety in the set lists, and even I grow tired of Knockin on Heaven's door and the interminable solos.

Elton once at Bestival 2013. Such a fantastic show. Despite being out of his comfort zone, he totally nailed the festival set. 

AM - 3 times (Glastonbury x 2 and Brixton) - Never failed to underwhelm and I always put it down to 'having an off night'...

GNR - Never and have no interest

EJ - June 21st 1975 at Wembley Stadium. First ever gig, my sister bought me the ticket for my 16th birthday present just a week before and I went on my own... Elton made the mistake of playing the whole of the recently released Captain Fantastic sandwiched between the hits. The Beach Boys absolutely owned the day and Elton mentions it in his autobiography as a regret..  (ticket was £3:50 btw)

You owe me one Reg.... (a 48 year book-end)

• Like 1

Seen Guns n Roses 3 times - twice under the 'modern/Axl-only' lineup, once in recent years with the reformed classic lineup

All fantastic shows, my favourite actually may have been seeing the Axl lineup at a small venue - Hammersmith. 

Arctics at the same 2 (?) Glastonburys everyone else has 

On 1/7/2023 at 8:45 AM, Crazyfool01 said:

Elton at Live 8 hyde park( will be there im sure )  ... although memory is pretty poor ..... AMs twice at Glastonbury( probably not )  ..... GNR never ( no intention ) 

I’d forgotten EJ did Live 8, so I have seen him after all, although I have no memory of his performance.

Saw GnR shortly after Slash and the other one returned in 2017. Incredible show that ran with none of the ‘hitches’ so often remarked on. Had a brilliant  time.

Friends reported their December gigs were great too.

Not seen AM.

Think I've seen AM, but certainly didn't when they were up against Chic in WH. Not fussed. 

Not seen GnR and not interested. 

Still remember parents having a bunch of Elton vinyl in 70s and 80s so would likely go along for a singalong, but not seen before

Arctics - Once at Mad Cool 2018, thought they were tight as a band but the slowing the tempo of songs is the thing that gets my goat about them. Gonna try and cop a ticket for their tour before Glasto, doubt I’ll be seeing them on the Pyramid. 

GNR - Once at Download 2018, thought they were brilliant, they could do with cutting out some of the dead weight from their sets. I think a 90 minute - 2 hour set would be enough. Definitely seeing them. 

Elton - Not seen. Unmissable for me. 

AM - 5 times.  From an unsigned band in school uniforms around 2003 to the AM tour in 2013.  Not bothered since.  To be honest, they seem to have diminishing stage presence every time I've seen them and they didn't have loads to start with.

GnR - Nope.

Elton - Dublin in 2019.  Was cracking.

Elton John Concert Setlist at 3Arena, Dublin on June 12, 2019 | setlist.fm

None of the 3.

Will 100% be at Elton John.

GnR possibly if there is nothing else on, but suspect I would still leave early.

AMs, loved their older stuff, really dislike their newer stuff. May go along as I suspect my entire group will want to go but could be easily swayed by another headliner elsewhere.

AM:  Saw at Reading in '2014 (I think, could have been 2015) and they were alright I guess. Didn't help that the sound in Reading was ridiculously quiet and the atmosphere was as  you'd expect Reading to be.

Doubt I'll watch them this year unless there's no decent alternative, which is unlikely at best

GnR:  I saw at Leeds fest in '02.  Ignoring how late Axl was and the numerous guitar w*nking solos, they were alright.  I can't say I know what Axl's voice is like these days but I'm not expecting much.  Once again, unless the other headliners are awful, I don't think I will catch them.

Elton: Bestival '13.  What can I say?  A set full of bangers. His voice wasn't that strong then and we've all heard him do his best Vic Reeves impression a couple of years ago so I'm prepared for his voice to be poor, however when there's 75k+ people belting out the lyrics, it won't matter.

Out of the three, he's the one I'm most likely to see again, however I'm currently convinced that the clash gods are going to put Fred Again against him on West Holts so will have  to make a difficult decision come sunday.