People who have hated Glastonbury

e_p

6 minutes ago, Boomtowner said:

One of the early years (either 06 or 07), I managed to get 24 tickets for our small group and my younger brothers set of friends. They pitched their tents on the first row opposite the Other Stage and most of them stayed there all weekend. We were up by the Pyramid and everytime we called into visit, there was always someone there, they never even ventured towards the stage, quite happy conversing with the passer bys and watching the acts from their chairs.

Sounds like what some of our crowd did, also in 2007 except we were in Big Ground overlooking the Pyramid stage, a couple of them sat under a gazebo most of the weekend drinking and smoking weed.

The only night they did something else was on the Friday when one of our friends sorted them out a couple of pills and they trudged off to Hot Chip in the JPT for an hour or so because they needed to burn off some energy.

The weather didn't help, its also a year I started to get very lazy as the weekend wore on due to the swamp like conditions!

2015 I think it was..

Camped up at Michael's mead and did the obligatory meet the neighbours.

A group of 4 girls camping right near us, first timers. 

Passed them on Sunday morning and checked in to see what they thought...

How have you found it? 

Yeas was alright.....

What you seen and done? (I love the random stories that "usually" follow after this one)....

Went down to that triangle thingy a few times, other than that been hanging around here.

Would you come back? 

Probably not...been to much better festivals.

Cool, have a safe journey back!...roll of the eyes!

I guess it just isn't for everyone right.

My first two festivals were 99&2000 and most of our group spent most of the weekend at our camp site on big ground listening to the Pyramid stage and getting stoned. I went down to watch Ash and REM, that was about it as far as I can remember. Couldn’t be more different from my first year back in 2019 where I was all over the place watching stuff. Had a blast every time. It takes all sorts. 

23 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

This is the clip, it’s from a Dutch TV show:

The female reporter was also involved in another funny clip:

Edit: in fact I’m not sure it’s the same reporter, but I always thought it was!

I do love a funny TV fail and really needed a laugh this evening.. thank you for these!

11 hours ago, Twiggy553 said:

Would anyone on here just not go if it was going to be another “battle of the somme” year.

I’ve said it a few times but I genuinely don’t think I have the willpower/pessimism to actually stay away.

If I knew it was going to be like 2016 way in advance then yeah I'd probably stay away (if can sell my ticket too or get money back). I find during the rain and mud the festival loses its sparkle for me. It's less arty, cultural and magical. You're more tired/cranky, cold, and without sitting down all weekend I get quite sore as well. Also you don't see who you want, it's aabojr finding stages in the dry, or close together so you don't have to climb hills or go through mud. 

Instead for me those festivals become all about the music. Trudging from one act to another because that's kind of all that's left to do in the mud. Now Glastonbury is a fantastic music festival, but there's other festivals I'd like to go to more if it was purely line up only. 

So for a muddy year, yeah I'd give up my ticket and go to a festival in Europe in the warm. 

1 hour ago, kemosabe said:

If I knew it was going to be like 2016 way in advance then yeah I'd probably stay away (if can sell my ticket too or get money back). I find during the rain and mud the festival loses its sparkle for me. It's less arty, cultural and magical. You're more tired/cranky, cold, and without sitting down all weekend I get quite sore as well. Also you don't see who you want, it's aabojr finding stages in the dry, or close together so you don't have to climb hills or go through mud. 

Instead for me those festivals become all about the music. Trudging from one act to another because that's kind of all that's left to do in the mud. Now Glastonbury is a fantastic music festival, but there's other festivals I'd like to go to more if it was purely line up only. 

So for a muddy year, yeah I'd give up my ticket and go to a festival in Europe in the warm. 

My t Day hit to miss ratio is so bad that I couldn’t conceive ever giving up a hard won ticket for pretty much any reason, and since my first 2 years were 2007 and 2016 I feel anything not as bad as those a bonus, in fact I found 2017 confusing, where was the rain and mud I had come to expect. That said G is bloody hard work when the weather is shit. 2017 was a bit of a revelation, such luxuries like being able to sit on the floor and not be cold and wet.

Edited by Smeble

2 hours ago, Smeble said:

Part of me thinks what a waste of a ticket, going at that way and just sitting by your tent, but you pays your money and you get to spend the weekend how you want, still seems a waste though.

Yeah I agree.  I just can't imagine choosing to spend much time at my tent, let alone most of it.  Takes all sorts though.

10 hours ago, kemosabe said:

see i loved 2016, i mean it was hard, but ive never laughed so much, is up there with one of my fave glastonburys, 2010 is prob my least favourite (although still loved it) the sun is harder to deal with for me, was too hot, no shade.

I think in wet / mud years, we all pull through more to have a good time, yeah you miss just being able to sit anywhere, but the laughs we had that year. Me pal went to help 2 people stuck in the mud by T&C, and ended up getting stuck himself, which led to someone trying to help him and them getting stuck, was like a comedy sketch.

I'd take mud over sunshine at a festival all day - should've put this in the controversial topic

11 hours ago, Smeble said:

Part of me thinks what a waste of a ticket, going at that way and just sitting by your tent, but you pays your money and you get to spend the weekend how you want, still seems a waste though.

You should see Reading (and probably Leeds too). Plenty of people don't leave the campsite till the evening

46 minutes ago, Perks said:

see i loved 2016, i mean it was hard, but ive never laughed so much, is up there with one of my fave glastonburys, 2010 is prob my least favourite (although still loved it) the sun is harder to deal with for me, was too hot, no shade.

I think in wet / mud years, we all pull through more to have a good time, yeah you miss just being able to sit anywhere, but the laughs we had that year. Me pal went to help 2 people stuck in the mud by T&C, and ended up getting stuck himself, which led to someone trying to help him and them getting stuck, was like a comedy sketch.

I'd take mud over sunshine at a festival all day - should've put this in the controversial topic

I agree I found 2019 hard work because of the sun. I’ve never been to one where it just rained all the time thankfully as that sounds a bit shit (as despite what people say 2016 was actually quite dry once it started). 

Overcast 12-15 degrees overcast, trousers with jumper in bag from get go but dry that’s my perfect Glasto weather 

35 minutes ago, gfa said:

You should see Reading (and probably Leeds too). Plenty of people don't leave the campsite till the evening

It’s a bit more understandable at festivals like that where there’s a separate arena for the stages and you can only bring in your own drink after a certain time and you have to smuggle in anything else. 

But at glasto you can take your chair your drink and your gear and go sit anywhere you like across the entire site so why just sit at your tent? I think it’s a waste of a ticket. 

7 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

It’s a bit more understandable at festivals like that where there’s a separate arena for the stages and you can only bring in your own drink after a certain time and you have to smuggle in anything else. 

But at glasto you can take your chair your drink and your gear and go sit anywhere you like across the entire site so why just sit at your tent? I think it’s a waste of a ticket. 

Yeah that is true to be fair, its no own drink at all by the way. Reading is particularly bad for it as theres no alcohol limits to campsites so people don't just run out of cans like they do elsewhere.

2 hours ago, gfa said:

One year at Reading I didn't go in the arena at all on the Saturday and another year one of my friends was only in the arena about 15 mins the entire weekend

2 hours ago, Barneym said:

I agree I found 2019 hard work because of the sun. I’ve never been to one where it just rained all the time thankfully as that sounds a bit shit (as despite what people say 2016 was actually quite dry once it started). 

Overcast 12-15 degrees overcast, trousers with jumper in bag from get go but dry that’s my perfect Glasto weather 

Yeah overcast is perfect, just been putting the washing out and thought is my perfect Glastonbury weather

1 hour ago, Perks said:

Yeah overcast is perfect, just been putting the washing out and thought is my perfect Glastonbury weather

Yep, would take it being like this! I love hot weather, but 2019 was too much. Ended up getting really dehydrated - up all night being sick because I was so bad with it.

10 minutes ago, duke88 said:

Yep, would take it being like this! I love hot weather, but 2019 was too much. Ended up getting really dehydrated - up all night being sick because I was so bad with it.

Yeah those years you need to seek out the few shady spots, which are in demand. 

2 hours ago, Perks said:

When I went to Reading Festival in 2014 it was overcast the entire weekend, absolute bliss.

Didn't see the sun once, didn't see any rain at all, dry conditions, not too cold as there was a cloud cover, not too warm as the cloud blocked it and you got to sleep in your tent beyond 9am due to no sun coming through (pre fresh and black tent era)

Was great. 🙂 

Edited by gooner1990

the staff bar by Arcadia has lots of lovely shade, a pile of different armchairs and sofas, and even a big bed - its an absolutely stunning spot for an afternoon rest of the feet. I know thats no good for punters, but for anyone with a staff wristband: i will be there in the corner with me feet up, nursing a nice cold drink at various interludes from monday onwards!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, balti-pie said:

the staff bar by Arcadia has lots of lovely shade, a pile of different armchairs and sofas, and even a big bed - its an absolutely stunning spot for an afternoon rest of the feet. I know thats no good for punters, but for anyone with a staff wristband: i will be there in the corner with me feet up, nursing a nice cold drink at various interludes from monday onwards!

Do performer wristbands get you in staff bars?

9 hours ago, gfa said:

God i wish i Could do that! Getting back in at 5am, sleeping for two hours before the sun is up and then being dancing by 11 is exhausting! But every minute sat around you're probably missing 3 people you want to see.

similarly i saw a couple, with a kid in a pushchair, who had clearly had ENOUGH on the saturday in 2016.  they all looked miserable.  I'm not surprised, the mud was harsh, and the prams wheels were so clogged they had to drag it.