People who have hated Glastonbury

e_p

I had friends (operative word being had) who went in 2016 and hated it. We didn’t go with them in the end as we didn’t pay the balance. While I regret not going to Glastonbury until 2017, I only partially regret returning those tickets as we’d have had a terrible time with them. The main issue was that the guy was (is) a judgemental prick but also that the woman was (is) a “bit of a princess”. Other friends who went with them said they really wrecked their festival, as it was too much on top of the mud, general Brexit mood etc. The bloke walked around slagging off everyone he saw apparently. It also didn’t help that their relationship was hugely toxic and tempestuous and ended bitterly soon after. 

A girl I lived with at Uni was a bit prissy, a nice girl but quite middle class and she always wanted things just so. The kind of person to draw up a washing rota when living with a bunch of 18yr olds knobheads.

She went to glasto in 1997, and she left on the Saturday morning vowing never to return due to all the mud 🤣 

13 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

She went to glasto in 1997, and she left on the Saturday morning vowing never to return due to all the mud 🤣 

Having experienced the 1997 festival myself, I have some small sliver of sympathy for that reaction. It was bloody grim!

In 2015, I went with a group who brought along a girl who managed to get tickets but had never done anything like this before. It was her first festival and in the months before you got the sense she wasn’t fully onboard with it. She was dropping messages in the group chat the week before the festival indicating that she wasn’t feeling like coming (random illness, had an expensive weekend right before, argument with a boyfriend etc). We were all hoping she’d bail because it looked like they were going to be in a mood all weekend. They didn’t bail, they came along.

From the moment we arrived she wasn’t a fan of the camping situation, she needed a mirror with her all time to make sure her makeup wasn’t smudged. She was also really picky with the food and refused to go to the toilet because it was a bit mucky. She also claimed that she’d hurt her foot from the walk in and didn’t want to join everyone when we did the wed/Thursday explore. Basically everything wasn’t right for her, nothing could be done to settle her.

Things got a bit better as the festival went on and we saw some acts but the rain (when it came) really got to them, they had a massive problem with people clearly on drugs late at night at some of the areas. Basically a Goldilocks attendee that couldn’t settle.

What’s remarkable is no one from my group caved and had an argument, we were all quite patient with her. What was funny is when she got back she was singing her praises about the place… despite it being obvious she didn’t enjoy a second.

She has never returned (as far as I know).

27 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I wouldn’t say they hated it but they’ve never been back in years: a couple of friends decided there wasn’t any interesting bands on (yeah, really) and ended up watching the festival on the TV - sat in their campervan on site! 

!!!!

Sorry, don't have words....

My friend didn't entirely enjoy it in 2005, said he wasn't going back again after 2007 but still went in 2008 (his FOMO was stronger than his dislike).

It was partly the mud that put him off, but it mostly seemed to be that the change in diet and routine was "adversely affecting" him. Great fun traipsing round the festival trying to find prune juice for him cos he hadn't shat all day 🙄 

Mate of mine never returned after his one and only trip to the festival, in 2007.

Got off his chops on the first night and lost his phone and wallet. Had the comedown from hell for 2 days, whilst getting soaked and caked in mud. 

He's a very positive person usually but it turned out to be too much of a test even for him!

A friend of a friend came with us in 1999. We all went at it hard that year, living on a diet of whisky, weed, mushrooms & acid (I genuinely can't remember eating all weekend, but I'm sure I must have). It's the only festival I've been to that I didn't go to bed the whole weekend.

I got back to the tents on the Saturday night (after watching Super Furry Animals IIRC) & noticed one of the tents was missing. I said "What's happened to Dave?" Apparently, he'd had a bad trip & decided to pack up & drive home, despite the fact that he was tripping his tits off, the fucking idiot! I remember getting really angry with my mates for letting him leave in that state.

Thankfully he made it home without killing himself or anyone else, but I never saw him again.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

My Wife has been with me 3 times I think. She doesn’t hate it but equally doesn’t love it either and whatever any of us think £280+ is a lot of money to shell out if you’re hearts not in it.

Having said this, 2016 was her last one and all of the ones she’d previously attended had involved rain. Obviously the 2 festivals since she hasn’t been have had unbelievable weather so if her not being there guarantees this then it’s a sacrifice I’m more than happy to make 😂

• Upvote 1

98 was challenging. My mate, who I went with, never returned. Mainly due to the weather, which nearly finished it for me. Was going to give 99 a miss but was lucky enough to win tickets on Radio 1 the week before. Glad I did as it was a great weekend (the weather helped) and it made me forget the worse bits of 98. 

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

My Wife has been with me 3 times I think. She doesn’t hate it but equally doesn’t love it either and whatever any of us think £280+ is a lot of money to shell out if you’re hearts not in it.

Having said this, 2016 was her last one and all of the ones she’d previously attended had involved rain. Obviously the 2 festivals since she hasn’t been have had unbelievable weather so if her not being there guarantees this then it’s a sacrifice I’m more than happy to make 😂

We all want to know whether she's coming this year?

Mate of mine doesn’t do festivals and went in 2007 by coach (he uses public transport everywhere even now). Apparently it was chaos getting picked up and he arrived back in Sheffield to find the city flooded out, without power and couldn’t even get a shower when he got home! 

Needless to say…😂

A friend of a friend who is very into their Facebook/instagram image (not on it anymore myself but was at the time) who I just couldn’t place there got tickets for 2016. They made a big song and dance about getting tickets, and then during all of the lead up, but not a peep during or afterwards which I thought was weird. I messaged them afterwards to ask them if they’d had a good time and they just said it was awful and they left early!

My exes mates all went one year and have never been back since because apparently there is too much walking.

The year I didn’t get tickets and stayed in Love Fields a middle aged couple near us turned up on the Friday, I heard them talking to their neighbours and they said they had never been to a festival before but saw some ticket packages come up, so decided to go for it. They actually bought a full on table and chairs with them for outside their tent. I noticed on Sunday morning they had gone, they were probably there for no more than 24 hours. 

Lots of people.  For a variety of reasons. Mud, walking, effort, not clicking with it.  

Can't help thinking that quite a lot of attendees aren't prepared to put in the effort to get the best from the festival. 

The only comedy one that is worth sharing is a mates mate who couldn't get away early from work in London so the rest arrived Wednesday and set up. He turned up Friday evening and hit it like a skydiver whose parachute failed to open.

Apparently he went to the toilet Saturday morning and couldn't find the tent. No frame of reference and only the clothes on his back. Every tent looked the same.

Walked to the gate and got a taxi to castle Cary and a train back to Paddington still off his head. Apparently by the time he reached Reading the "what on earth have I done?" Had set in but the fear was too strong and he finished the journey at Paddington and went home. 

Kids n drugs 🙂

• Upvote 1

As much as I love it, I can equally see why someone would hate it just as much. Mud, adverse weather conditions, a lot of walking, lugging all of your heavy equipment for miles, living in a tent for five days, setting up, taking down, queues, crowds, unsanitary living conditions, lack of sleep, mentally and physically draining, inhumane toilet facilities, limited shower availability...

It ain't for everyone.

• Upvote 1