The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

For reference this is from the exact same time out from the festival as we are now in 2019...  

What is quite funny reading back through this is that even though we know it's evidently clear how uncertain things are this far out from the festival weather wise, every year without question we allow ourselves to be drawn in to this emotional torture.

This is 100% my favourite thread.

Edited by JoeyT

12 hours ago, jimmillen said:

If r**n does look likely then waterproof all your kit. Clothes double wrapped in large freezer bags, double bin liners for larger stuff like pillows etc. Spare bin liners or even a small tarp for covering up your gear whilst pitching the tent. 

It’s hard to avoid getting a bit of wet inside if it’s properly tipping it down whilst you’re pitching, but getting everything soaked is avoidable. 😉

I've got a full size drysack that fits inside my rucksack, personal preference but smes having to multi-wrap everything

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

Not the Countryfile Sunday night one?

Haha just the met office app. I have friends who do fell running and they swear the most accurate is the met office app. They rarely get it very wrong... and these guys do bob graham runs so need as accurate weather predictions as possible. obviously its not an exact science though ha 

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Glastonbury weather is a binary issue. Not a meteorologist but this is my basic understanding of weather. 

High pressure and clear skies at this time of year will result in hot weather. 

For clouds to form there needs to be an adjacent area of low pressure. In the area where the high meets the low you get the weather fronts which bring clouds. 

Because of the high temperatures at this time of year, any cooler weather fronts interacting with the high pressure areas will more than likely bring rain. 

The quicker the change in pressures will also mean higher wind speeds. 

So basically if it’s not clear skies and hot. It’s going to be wet. 

Ok...so choice is scorchio or wet? Nothing in the middle? Maybe I can sell my ticket on ebay, I do look kind of generic.

9 minutes ago, vardyvarvar said:

Can someone please confirm whether the weather is an exact science or not?

An exact science is one whose laws are capable of accurate quantitative expression.  Reading this thread should answer your question😉

we want 20 degrees, hazy sunshine, no wind that would affect the sound quality, dry ground, cool but not cold overnight to allow some sleep. 

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Glastonbury weather is a binary issue. Not a meteorologist but this is my basic understanding of weather. 

High pressure and clear skies at this time of year will result in hot weather. 

For clouds to form there needs to be an adjacent area of low pressure. In the area where the high meets the low you get the weather fronts which bring clouds. 

Because of the high temperatures at this time of year, any cooler weather fronts interacting with the high pressure areas will more than likely bring rain. 

The quicker the change in pressures will also mean higher wind speeds. 

So basically if it’s not clear skies and hot. It’s going to be wet. 

..and high pressure doesn't necessarily mean hot, even in June. Depends where the high pressure sits.

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Smells like dejavu

Hang on, you're not suggesting that no one has a fucking clue what the weather is going to be like this far out and that a weather thread was started in January for an event in late June is representative of the decline of modern civilisation are you?

• Upvote 3