The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

2 hours ago, jimmillen said:

If r**n does look likely then waterproof all your kit. Clothes double wrapped in large freezer bags, double bin liners for larger stuff like pillows etc. Spare bin liners or even a small tarp for covering up your gear whilst pitching the tent. 

It’s hard to avoid getting a bit of wet inside if it’s properly tipping it down whilst you’re pitching, but getting everything soaked is avoidable. 😉

great advice thanks, turning up in the rain and having everything soaked before even getting into your tent, would be a bad start, especially when the solution is just packing a few bin bags 

• Upvote 1

Last night we went to bed wondering whether to bother going to Alton Towers today, as it was forecast to rain all day in the area. This morning we woke up to dry and sunny spells forecast for most of the day. And that's how it stayed for the most part. We left the theme park at 3 to head up to Manchester, so no idea after then, but up until that point, just one very light, very short lived, shower in the late morning. So light and brief in fact, that nobody even bothered to take cover. 

Edited by Alvoram

I don't know why I bother checking this thread. 

Nobody knows what the weather will be like in an hour, let alone 2 weeks away. 

It's pointless, utterly pointless. 

Yet here I am. 

Every day. 

Like a twat.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Accuweather is looking like perfect weather conditions, dry and not too hot. 

Metcheck however, rain every day, about 30mm over the 5 days. 

Thursday is looking scary. At least it will be cold for @steviewevie can’t have sunshine ruining his festival. 

I don’t trust what Inaccuweather says. They can’t even get the weather for Pilton right on the same day. 

Edited by squirrelarmy

8 minutes ago, nikkic said:

I don't know why I bother checking this thread. 

Nobody knows what the weather will be like in an hour, let alone 2 weeks away. 

It's pointless, utterly pointless. 

Yet here I am. 

Every day. 

Like a twat.

Same 

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

This is today’s weather in Pilton according to MetCheck.

Will see if those on the ground can confirm if it happens like this or not. 

A3FEFF0F-5347-43BB-802D-A807664829A8.thumb.jpeg.ad19d1229cfbf5f342e9481418f890d7.jpeg

Well at 7.08 we have cloud cover, not enough breeze to ruffle a feather, dry and bright. I haven’t measured the temp yet. One more cup of coffee needed before that happens.

36 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

This is today’s weather in Pilton according to MetCheck.

Will see if those on the ground can confirm if it happens like this or not. 

A3FEFF0F-5347-43BB-802D-A807664829A8.thumb.jpeg.ad19d1229cfbf5f342e9481418f890d7.jpeg

If the temperature jumps by 4 degrees for two hours mid afternoon then drops by 4 again I’ll be amazed. 

3 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

35406C59-ADE5-4FA6-9164-31614AD86B37.thumb.jpeg.d2dc56a0ccb05bec3ca692f53bb8023e.jpeg

Yep, little sign of Gavs hot and thundery weather on the midnight run.    No point looking at specifics this far out, but general trend is cool and showery, which always gives the chance of a mostly dry Glasto if we’re lucky with the showers…

yeah, sometimes those light blues just kind of mean cloudy with maybe a bit of spitty stuff.

37 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

pleased not stupidly hot. Not pleased about the rain. Centrists of the world unite.

Glastonbury weather is a binary issue. Not a meteorologist but this is my basic understanding of weather. 

High pressure and clear skies at this time of year will result in hot weather. 

For clouds to form there needs to be an adjacent area of low pressure. In the area where the high meets the low you get the weather fronts which bring clouds. 

Because of the high temperatures at this time of year, any cooler weather fronts interacting with the high pressure areas will more than likely bring rain. 

The quicker the change in pressures will also mean higher wind speeds. 

So basically if it’s not clear skies and hot. It’s going to be wet.