The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

2 minutes ago, matichin said:

2017 is the hot weather to be avoided. People passing out in queues and cheering when a small cloud covered the sun briefly. 2019 was perfect 

2017 weather peaked on the Wednesday and anyone coming through the gates after midday had staggering amounts of heat to deal with with no shelter

The run improved drastically and now it looks quite promising everywhere. I really like the Accuweather model with mild temperatures and a bit of small rain on Saturday (barely 0.9mm). I will sign that with blood!

The problem is... that it will most likely change!

Agree - Wed 2017 was really bloody hot - stood in PGD queue half way through the car park (I think queue's were especially bad that year after the fun and games for a lot of people getting onto the site in 2016) - pretty sure I could hear folks skin sizzling like sausages!

2019 - was also a hot one - defo more than a couple of times there were issues trying to find shade.....recall walking through pyramid field when Bjorn Again (was it - I think it was...recall a big sing along?) were on - and it was seriously toasty!

27 minutes ago, March Hare said:

It was lovely apart from the Saturday when we all melted

10 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I seem to recall struggling a bit during the day on the Friday as well...but that was nothing compared to the Saturday!

Yet - the show went on. Footage of the acts from that afternoon still show big crowds having fun, the bars were busy and generally the festival was a beautiful and vibrant place to be. Were there a few hungover folk seeking shade and not coping?  Sure - but not a majority by any means.

57 minutes ago, Chip Batch said:

How hot was 2019? I wasn't there so can't remember. As hot as 2010?

After having a rather heavy one on the Friday, the Saturday was unbareable... we struggled to find shade anywhere, ended up in the permaculture gardens and there were just bodies all along the path seeking shade

52 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Possibly 32/33? It was so hot when Maggie Rogers was on the Other Stage (2/3pm-ish?)

The whole day was ridiculous. The Vampire Weekend 'secret' set kicked off at 11:30am and The Park was already ROASTING by then. 

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, really hot might be nice when you're on the beach or by a pool, but is shit weather for a festival

Early twenties is ideal, although maybe not for you. 

Would take a scorcher over rain/mud any day. 

35 minutes ago, pauladam said:

Agree - Wed 2017 was really bloody hot - stood in PGD queue half way through the car park (I think queue's were especially bad that year after the fun and games for a lot of people getting onto the site in 2016) - pretty sure I could hear folks skin sizzling like sausages!

2019 - was also a hot one - defo more than a couple of times there were issues trying to find shade.....recall walking through pyramid field when Bjorn Again (was it - I think it was...recall a big sing along?) were on - and it was seriously toasty!

We queued up from about 3am and so were in and pitched by about 9am in 2017. Remember sitting somewhere eating breakfast and being very thankful we were done as it was almost unbearable at that time. I crashed massively in the afternoon after not sleeping and walking around in that heat all day. Ended up having an hours nap on the floor outside of the hari Krishna tent.

I didn’t go in 2019 but I’d be surprised if it surpassed 2010 which was consistently boiling hot across basically every day from memory.

57 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

2017 was 32 degrees on the day when most people were arriving. I love a bit of hot weather and even I thought that was a bit much. 

Agree, much rather it was warm but I remember trying to squeeze between a stall sign to grab a minute out the sun!!

Space in shade was limited so I think they opened up some of the tents to allow people a respite. 

I remember sitting in the Cornish Arms like I had just jumped in the shower with all my clothes on!

3 minutes ago, One Tonne Baby said:

We queued up from about 3am and so were in and pitched by about 9am in 2017. Remember sitting somewhere eating breakfast and being very thankful we were done as it was almost unbearable at that time. I crashed massively in the afternoon after not sleeping and walking around in that heat all day. Ended up having an hours nap on the floor outside of the hari Krishna tent.

I didn’t go in 2019 but I’d be surprised if it surpassed 2010 which was consistently boiling hot across basically every day from memory.

I worked the festival in 2019 and was on site by early afternoon Tues...was warm but nothing too difficult to go out in, then lashed it down with rain later that night when we were in a crew bar in Shangri-La, then from recollection it just kept steadily getting hotter by the day.

Saturday was my big day off but I had worked until 5am on a bar and only got to sleep at 6am...two hours sleep and I was out of my tent (no fresh and black back then) - awful, struggled massively.  Sunday dropped like a stone to around 20 degrees and I started to think that was cold! 😄

2010 was a consistent 25-26 degrees or so and at least whilst it was constantly hot it didn't break the 30 degree barrier which is when most people start to really struggle.

Hmm - basically a low confidence period which means it could be anything at this point.

But that's a good situation to be in - in 2007 for instance there was consistent low pressure forecast from about five weeks out of the festival and the forecast never really changed. This one will change with every run.

Also a reminder that 2019 looked pretty dicey until about 8 days out when suddenly the Azores finger popped up and we went from a shit forecast to five dry days (and the furnace on Saturday). 

(Also - Netweather forum at this point in 2019 was discussing possibility of wettest June since 2012 / 1997. Just for context)

Edited by Glasto Weatherwatch
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

In 2017 we arrived midday Thursday, you could easily spot those who had arrived when the gates opened.

Lobsters everywhere. 

Lekkido has entered the chat.

Weds 2017 was hot, but I personally didnt mind too too much as it was perfect the rest of the way and showered off the sweat from setting up the tent. That first sunset was lovely on Weds with cool temps and a breeze.

Just glad I wasnt back home where it was over 40 for a week straight. Although felt bad for friends who live in Phoenix where it was 50.

Edited by Suprefan