BRIT Awards 2021

Mattymooz

Awards shows are funny old things and maybe I'm a bit of an idiot for thinking it but The Brits could be brilliant. If the producers weren't obsessed with this below par format of average comedy and shoehorning weird internet culture / meme references every other five minutes to what they think will appeal to a younger audience. Imagine a host who knew music. A radio DJ for instance. Someone who knew what they were talking about, who they were talking to and what it was all about. There are many presenters who could do an amazing job. I know maybe it isn't that kind of show but if it is about the best of Britain and British music, why not actually celebrate that and make a show about that rather than a two hour show full of shit cheap gags that aren't remotely funny and have nothing to do with the music. 

Edited by jyoung
  • Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Awards shows are funny old things and maybe I'm a bit of an idiot for thinking it but The Brits could be brilliant. If the producers weren't obsessed with this below par format of average comedy and shoehorning weird internet culture / meme references every other five minutes to what they think will appeal to a younger audience. Imagine a host who knew music. A radio DJ for instance. Someone who knew what they were talking about, who they were talking to and what it was all about. There are many presenters who could do an amazing job. I know maybe it isn't that kind of show but if it is about the best of Britain and British music, why not actually celebrate that and make a show about that rather than a two hour show full of shit cheap gags that aren't remotely funny and have nothing to do with the music. 

I don’t even know who’s on Radio 1 now but surely there’s a DJ there who would be perfect? If not, that Jamz Supernova who has just started on 6 Music could be good?

3 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I don’t even know who’s on Radio 1 now but surely there’s a DJ there who would be perfect? If not, that Jamz Supernova who has just started on 6 Music could be good?

Annie Mac's got some spare time.

12 minutes ago, jyoung said:

The Brits has always been cheap gags going back to the 90s, if you want high brow entertainment then this is not your outlet. At least they don't try to copy the Grammy's as a rip and replace but British version wouldn't work at all. 

34 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Absolute shite presenting. Bring back Mick Fleetwood and Sam Fox. 

Ahh, the good old days.... 

30 minutes ago, reflekting said:

The Brits has always been cheap gags going back to the 90s, if you want high brow entertainment then this is not your outlet. At least they don't try to copy the Grammy's as a rip and replace but British version wouldn't work at all. 

I know there's meant to be that element of humour but maybe it's just what they define as humour that I have a problem with. I get it though. Not looking for something high brow, just something representative of what the UK music scene actually feels like.

51 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Thats why the Grammys best years ( thats being generous ) recently have been when Alicia Keys hosted the show. You could get a musician that appeals to a lot of people and that carries some credibility along with it. Its a pretty fine line but im sure there is somebody out there.

having watched only a couple of clips what is up with the camera work. Like they thought the cameras were contagious to the stage? Theyre losing a lot with these not ideal placements. 

And with all of the “oh glasto has their 3 headliners locked up” and turning into “nobody signed their contracts” or “theyve all been invited back”. So which is it? Im sorry but after all this time if youre a young artists and you cant commit to performing there then you dont deserve the fucking offer. Macca has nothing going on, Kendrick is just re doing his album for the 63748th time and Taylor wants to keep playing games like if she is retiring from touring or something.  If I was Emily you would have confirmed your headliners already and if not, you move on and get somebody else cause there is no shortage of talent to book st the top of your festival.

Edited by Suprefan

I personally feel like ITV doesn’t want Jack Whitehall either, but he gives off that vibe of someone in the office who has a dad that is mates with the director.

Sticks around and does a shit job but you know he’s never getting fired.

Edited by Matt42

37 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

And with all of the “oh glasto has their 3 headliners locked up” and turning into “nobody signed their contracts” or “theyve all been invited back”. So which is it? Im sorry but after all this time if youre a young artists and you cant commit to performing there then you dont deserve the fucking offer. Macca has nothing going on, Kendrick is just re doing his album for the 63748th time and Taylor wants to keep playing games like if she is retiring from touring or something.  If I was Emily you would have confirmed your headliners already and if not, you move on and get somebody else cause there is no shortage of talent to book st the top of your festival.

Who are you angry at?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Thats why the Grammys best years ( thats being generous ) recently have been when Alicia Keys hosted the show. You could get a musician that appeals to a lot of people and that carries some credibility along with it. Its a pretty fine line but im sure there is somebody out there.

having watched only a couple of clips what is up with the camera work. Like they thought the cameras were contagious to the stage? Theyre losing a lot with these not ideal placements. 

Olly Alexander would have been the perfect host this year - could have presented and still performed.

As for Macca being nominated, maybe the album missed the cut-off point?

9 hours ago, jyoung said:

Spot on. The fact that a professional stand-up comedian actually did a joke about being on mute in a Zoom call spoke volumes. For the format, presenter and writing. The "chat" with Haim was excruciating. Does the show even need a presenter?

I agree, there's still so much to celebrate about British music and pop culture and the Brits themselves remain relevant. It just feels like the whole thing has been created by people completely out of touch. 

Ironic that we have to sit through those dead jokes for two hours but then as soon as someone vaguely relevent and interesting walks on he gets muted for saying 'mother fucker'.

Am I stupid or does anyone tune in to the Brits to hear Wayne Linekar jokes? Sleazy and weird. Imagine being nominated for the first time, turning up and then having to listen to Whitehall say shit like that. Why am I here?

10 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Ironic that we have to sit through those dead jokes for two hours but then as soon as someone vaguely relevent and interesting walks on he gets muted for saying 'mother fucker'.

Am I stupid or does anyone tune in to the Brits to hear Wayne Linekar jokes? Sleazy and weird. Imagine being nominated for the first time, turning up and then having to listen to Whitehall say shit like that. Why am I here?

As I said before. Jack Whitehall gives off massive ‘well his dad is mates with the director so that’s why he got the job’ vibes. It looked like all the artists were just as bored of him as we were.

2 hours ago, zico martin said:

I'm genuinely confused how Bruce Springsteen was shortlisted for album of the year but not Paul McCartney?  I mean obviously I didn't agree with most of the winners but am I missing something?

Yes. Springsteen's album is better than Macca's.

• Like 1