2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, LinvoyPrimus said:

I didn't dislike it, I just think it was a bit flat! Felt like a bit of an underwhelming end to the festival. Maybe just switching them and KoL would have been the answer.

Funny how some people can enjoy one thing but someone else doesn't enjoy it (or it wasn't as good) 

I also enjoyed Radiohead in 2017 which I know a few others thought was rubbish.

I've also not liked some sets that others loved!

2 minutes ago, TheWizard62 said:

It could work. Because the festival sells out people will choose from what’s on offer. Take End of the Road festival - consistently voted the best small festival. They book headliners that on tour play venues that are maximum 2K but at the festival play to audiences of 8 thousand. 

The issue is the Festival will never take selling out for granted, so it’s always a balancing act. It doesn’t matter if you’re Glastonbury or anyone, as soon as you make assumptions that you’ll always be popular and start making decisions based on that assumption then things can unravel very quickly.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

Funny how some people can enjoy one thing but someone else doesn't enjoy it (or it wasn't as good) 

I also enjoyed Radiohead in 2017 which I know a few others thought was rubbish.

I've also not liked some sets that others loved!

It is strange right! There are obviously so many factors that go into making or breaking an opinion of a set i.e. placement within a crowd, the people you're with and/or near, even so much as what other acts you'd seen that day/weekend

Sorry if this has been mentioned but as WA are not headlining Reading playing before the Arctic Monkeys, it would seem a very strange pyramid headliner, kind of admitting Reading got a better line up (which to be fair it probably has on that Saturday, although Glasto will be much more fun overall)

8 minutes ago, Barneym said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned but as WA are not headlining Reading playing before the Arctic Monkeys, it would seem a very strange pyramid headliner, kind of admitting Reading got a better line up (which to be fair it probably has on that Saturday, although Glasto will be much more fun overall)

They’ve got a better lineup than Glasto will have on the top 2 stages on every day tbh.

52 minutes ago, TheWizard62 said:

It could work. Because the festival sells out people will choose from what’s on offer. Take End of the Road festival - consistently voted the best small festival. They book headliners that on tour play venues that are maximum 2K but at the festival play to audiences of 8 thousand. 

Well that’s fine for end of the road but Glastonbury headliners need to pull in 10 times the amount of people that they do. No one is saying smaller crowds and events don’t work. But we are talking about the pyramid stage here. A small crowd on the pyramid stage won’t have the same vibe as an intimate gig.

Have you been to a pyramid set with a small crowd? The atmosphere is dead as fuck. A big part of the pyramid is seeing the biggest acts in the biggest crowds.

48 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The issue is the Festival will never take selling out for granted, so it’s always a balancing act. It doesn’t matter if you’re Glastonbury or anyone, as soon as you make assumptions that you’ll always be popular and start making decisions based on that assumption then things can unravel very quickly.

Exactly. It can’t rest on the fact it sells out instantly. Because a big part of that instant sell out is that people buy a ticket with the expectation that Glastonbury will book the biggest acts going. If Glastonbury announced the lineup and put tickets on sale afterward it would be a different conversation. They can take the punt on Wolf Alice if they like… but if they start losing interest because the bookings stop exciting people there will be a huge knock on effect.

Glastonbury’s financials rely on it selling out. I don’t think it could survive the hit of a non sell out year.

Openair Frauenfeld (who previously had Kendrick) announced their line up without him. So afaik we‘re at a point now where no festival who booked him for 2020/2021 has space left.

On the other hand, Rock Werchter finalised their line up today and added: „The summer has even more to offer in Werchter. There’s Werchter Boutique with Stromae and Gorillaz on Sunday 19 June and TW Classic with Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Placebo, The Smile and more on Saturday 25 June.  And... Rock Werchter has a surprise in store. Stay tuned for an exceptional encore... 👀

What an exceptional encore a Beatle would be…

2 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

They’ve got a better lineup than Glasto will have on the top 2 stages on every day tbh.

Is this genuinely the feeling amongst most people?

I could bet my bottom dollar that Glastonbury will more artists I want to see.

7 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Is this genuinely the feeling amongst most people?

I could bet my bottom dollar that Glastonbury will more artists I want to see.

I can’t remember their full lineup tbh but I’m pretty sure their main stage has:

Dave / Little Simz

Arctic Monkeys / Wolf Alice / Fontaines DC

Rage Against the Machine / Run the Jewels

I can’t see the top end of Pyramid/Other matching up to that with what we know/what seems likely atm.

10 minutes ago, Pastor.Of.Muppets said:

Openair Frauenfeld (who previously had Kendrick) announced their line up without him. So afaik we‘re at a point now where no festival who booked him for 2020/2021 has space left.

On the other hand, Rock Werchter finalised their line up today and added: „The summer has even more to offer in Werchter. There’s Werchter Boutique with Stromae and Gorillaz on Sunday 19 June and TW Classic with Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Placebo, The Smile and more on Saturday 25 June.  And... Rock Werchter has a surprise in store. Stay tuned for an exceptional encore... 👀

What an exceptional encore a Beatle would be…

Kendrick replaced by J. Cole once again, is it?

Genuinely bemused at Florence continually popping up as a headliner prediction - surely that would be an incredibly uninspiring booking?   I mean, as much as I completely get why people are pouring cold water on the idea of Wolf Alice headlining, they would still be a far better and more relevant booking than Florence in 2022

11 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Genuinely bemused at Florence continually popping up as a headliner prediction - surely that would be an incredibly uninspiring booking?   I mean, as much as I completely get why people are pouring cold water on the idea of Wolf Alice headlining, they would still be a far better and more relevant booking than Florence in 2022

Because she’s twice the size of Wolf Alice and as much as we care more about how interesting/good a booking is, Glasto is a business with customers that buy tickets expecting headline sized bands.

Edit: She would be a crap booking, but she’s at least possible, unlike Wolf Alice. And she’s only being predicted because the options look so thin on the ground.

Edited by Somto Unigwe Raphael