BBC Glastonbury

JoeyT

19 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Saw Stormzy with about 50 other people once

Bring me the Horizon when they were full deathcore in like a pub

Enter Shikari when they only had dodgy demo EPs flying around

I mainly see heavy small bands that usually end up on download mainstage but not glasto

Also watching the Foals set on tv now and although I don't like the band they looked pretty good

Oh yep, me too. Also Architects and Enter Shikari but not sure they're particularly big enough to count?

5 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Is Brian Wilson's set worth a watch?

Yes, because he still has somewhat of a voice despite needing a prompter for his lyrics. Al Jardine’s son hadnt even joined the band yet and he is the one who keeps the show afloat now since he sounds exactly like the beach boys did in their prime. 

Seeing bands before they hit it in the u.s are different than the uk i would suppose in a sense. Off the top of my head, Alt J, Wolf Alice, Chvrches, Tame Impala, Two Door Cinema Club, HAIM ( opening for the xx in a club ) Jon Hopkins ( opened for Purity Ring )  Editors. Saw those all in small venues with no album out yet. One of the funnier ones was Steve Aoki ( the dj ) at pretty much the beginning of his dj career opening for Hard Fi ( remember them? ) Katy Perry on the Warped Tour while I Kissed A Girl was the number one song in the country and she played to a couple hundred people on a tiny tiny stage. Same with Paramore, Enter Shikari and BMTH on Warped Tour years and years ago when that was their bag. Could probably look back on those line ups and find more I had seen too. 

Edited by Suprefan

Brian's gigs are better enjoyed in the thick of it rather than after the fact with chin in fingers.

One of my favourite gigs of all time was when he played the Pet Sounds tent at TITP to an audience of taps aff wee bams going fucking radio rental, but the footage will never do justice to what it felt like in the bouncy as wee roasters surfed overhead using other wee roasters as boogie boards.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Yes, because he still has somewhat of a voice despite needing a prompter for his lyrics. Al Jardine’s son hadnt even joined the band yet and he is the one who keeps the show afloat now since he sounds exactly like the beach boys did in their prime. 

Matt is amazing isn't he? Far better voice than Jeff Foskett, who despite seeming like an all round nice guy, I never really got on with his high notes.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Matt is amazing isn't he? Far better voice than Jeff Foskett, who despite seeming like an all round nice guy, I never really got on with his high notes.

Yeah, saw Brian a couple times on the Pet Sounds tour and thats what did it. A great slice of Americana.

Just now, Suprefan said:

Yeah, saw Brian a couple times on the Pet Sounds tour and thats what did it. A great slice of Americana.

I saw him a couple of years ago and his voice has got a lot worse than in 2005.  Or at least, it seemed that way when he was doing a duet with Matt.  From the sublime to the ridiculous every other line.

1 minute ago, Gilb said:

Was the first time I'd seen or heard Royal Blood. Blew my mind at the time. How they get the melodies out of just bass and drums. Fantastic reliving that set again.

The pedal set up to get the sounds has been a thing of controversy for a while. Always fun having some secrets to the sonics.