BBC Glastonbury

JoeyT

9 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Not sure about that. I'think I read somewhere he was there at least the year before, invited to tour the place or something, and just "got it" from the off. Definitely read that he was certainly,as a lifelong music fan, well aware of the festival prior to that.

(What is HAM?)

(Hard As a Motherfucker I think)

2 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

I can see it, but only because of how quickly she became popular. Assuming she doesn't burn out, and there's no reason to suggest she will, she's doing everything right for a headliner slot. (dunno if I'd be there though...) 

Yeah to be fair I wouldn’t be surprised if they offer it to her if her next release is as popular, think I’m probably being blinkered a bit by what I like but 2022 at the earliest. 

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Olympic Airways possibly Foals' best song (I'm not even sure why - it just seems to grab me) - went ruddy crackers at this point.

Agree with this not sure what it is about it but one of my favourites live, something about the crowd shouting dis-ah-pee-ah

Just worth pointing out if you haven't been following Billie, the Glasto set was notoriously the worst of all the major festivals she did last year. Don't judge her headline credentials from that.

And even still, the size of that crowd...

16 minutes ago, Gregfc15 said:

It might be worth a thread on it own, but who has everyone seen before they got massive? Saw Billie at Laneway Singapore in Jan 2018 just before she blew up.

Arctic Monkeys several times in small venues when they were a MySpace phenomenon.

Killers at Birmingham Academy 2 before Hit Fuss came out.

Coldplay supporting Muse at Manchester Academy circa 2000.

The Libertines at Leeds 2002, they were the first band on the second stage. Was only there because I had gone into the arena early to get my phone charged.

I’ve seen most of the major bands of the last 20 years on their first albums when passing through the academies.

Edited by Hugh Jass

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Arctic Monkeys several times in small venues when they were a MySpace phenomenon.

Killers at Birmingham Academy 2 before Hit Fuss came out.

Coldplay supporting Muse at Manchester Academy circa 2000.

The Libertines at 2002, they were the first band on the second stage. Was only there because I had gone into the arena early to get my phone charged.

I’ve seen most of the major bands of the last 20 years on their first albums when passing through the academies.

quality.

I saw Mumford and Sons in Sydney in maybe a 500 pax room just as Little Lion Man was released. Doesn't seem that impressive after that.

Edited by Gregfc15

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

Just worth pointing out if you haven't been following Billie, the Glasto set was notoriously the worst of all the major festivals she did last year. Don't judge her headline credentials from that.

And even still, the size of that crowd...

The kids wouldnt care if she just stood there for an hour and flipped em off, thats how mad they are for her. And yeah, the glasto set is not that great at all. 

Edited by Suprefan

19 minutes ago, Gregfc15 said:

It might be worth a thread on it own, but who has everyone seen before they got massive? Saw Billie at Laneway Singapore in Jan 2018 just before she blew up.

Saw Biffy a few times pre-Puzzle, before they first started to get big. Saw Foals a few times as well when Antidotes was coming out (Still their best record...)

18 minutes ago, Gregfc15 said:

I go to a lot of little bands and none of them make it big, but that's more coz everyone in the world isn't quite up to my superior music taste.

Closest I've got is seeing IDLES with like 10 other people at Manchester Night and Day, around the time they brought out Well Done. (Not that it's a scenario I aim for to be honest, I'm happy going to gigs in shit holes)

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

Saw Biffy a few times pre-Puzzle, before they first started to get big. Saw Foals a few times as well when Antidotes was coming out (Still their best record...)

Totally agree re Antidotes - and I dismissed them at that point and only got on board for/during their Other stage set (2013?), which was a much better gig than this one.

2 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Pretty good these Foals lot, they should headline this stage when they come back!

'Could Foals headline?' is very much the 'can Lampard play with Gerrard?' of eFestivals (in both cases, when you think about it practically, no).

• Upvote 1

Saw Stormzy with about 50 other people once

Bring me the Horizon when they were full deathcore in like a pub

Enter Shikari when they only had dodgy demo EPs flying around

I mainly see heavy small bands that usually end up on download mainstage but not glasto

Also watching the Foals set on tv now and although I don't like the band they looked pretty good

45 minutes ago, Gregfc15 said:

I saw Biffy Clyro in 2001/02 in Liverpool Barfly, I don't think Blackened Sky had even come out yet - there were only about 20 people there. 

I also saw Arctic Monkeys the first time they played Leeds in 2005 in the Carling tent, but they had a little hype about them. 

@a6l6e6x I reckon I had some overlap with Enter Shikari too as my now brother in law was really into them before the first album came out. 

Edited by vintagelaureate
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

Do we know what 'The Glastonbury Experience Live' is?' Is it the fabled Chris Martin supergroup?

Think it's the programs from on BBC Two at the same time & they are broadcasting live from the farm.

Edited by Dukeicon