When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This is so grim. I feel like we are just about going to feel back to normal and then this thing will completely clobber us. The most worrying part is the emphasis on preparing now to avoid it. So far the government have not at all shown themselves capable of preparing for anything.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think its important to point out this is an entirely worst case scenario and measure being put in place now e.g. mandatory facemasks in shops will be designed to curb it, plus it doesn't include the idea of treatment or vaccines which we are learning more about every day - I just think of how far we've come with our knowledge ogf the virus in just 7 months so who knows how much more we will definitely know by the time they article mentions 

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This is so grim. I feel like we are just about going to feel back to normal and then this thing will completely clobber us. The most worrying part is the emphasis on preparing now to avoid it. So far the government have not at all shown themselves capable of preparing for anything.

well, I guess we now have the nightingale hospitals ready...not sure if we have enough ventilators, or the staff, or the PPE...but you would hope we have more than we had back in March. We also now have that steroid drug that helps those with severe symptoms.

Just got to hope that we don't get a bad flu virus going round same time as the coronavirus.

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I quite liked your wedding theory, but how on earth does mask wearing in shops alone affect it? Is the reception in a Nisa?

it's unlikely to be for just shops. 

You can't really say 'shops' and not include other indoor spaces where people come together.

Edited by eFestivals

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

like offices? What do they do in other european countries?

No idea.

I've seen it reported that it'll be more than just shops - and it makes more sense in long-contact places like (for example) offices than it does in fleeting-contact places like shops.

Having said that, I can see those longer and regular places like offices not having to have masks, and to rely on testing as the fall-back. It makes most sense to me for the more-casual places people go to

Edited by eFestivals

Re Offices, is anyone who works in one back into the normal working environment yet or have a staging date? If so, how is it and how do you feel about it?

I have received an email this morning stating that we plan to have people back in from the beginning of August. I have extremely mixed emotions regarding this!!

3 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Re Offices, is anyone who works in one back into the normal working environment yet or have a staging date? If so, how is it and how do you feel about it?

I have received an email this morning stating that we plan to have people back in from the beginning of August. I have extremely mixed emotions regarding this!!

My office has been doing 25% rota thing, so I have been going in every 4 weeks. From next week this is changing to 50%. This is a company directive from our headquarters in California...where they seem to be doing a good job with is pandemic ho ho.

39 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

which reminds me ...

Masks are the distraction to get the publication of the Russia report delayed until after recess, when the new committee will decide to rewrite it to delay it again.

It's gotta be pushed back to the new year. ;) 

I totally get the whole 'distractions' tactic - the only part I don;t get is when the distractions themselves are making your government look idiotic and harming your long term prospects (although my initial reaction to the Cummings fiasco was that they don't care about the long term, as their only objectives left were getting us past 30 June/31 Dec - I don't know if that takes me into the realms of the uber-cynical though).

28 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I quite liked your wedding theory, but how on earth does mask wearing in shops alone affect it? Is the reception in a Nisa?

It's all about perception and messaging.  If masks are required in shops and/or other spaces, there are questions about why x or y is excluded from it.  Something as high profile as the PM's wedding would inevitably have those questions, so it just dodges that bullet.

If that is what they do (and it is a big if) then it's relying on the public not to link the two things together and suddenly realise that he timed the date so he could get married in (relative peace).  Sadly I think a high enough proportion of the public have the memory of a goldfish for him to get away with it.

Again, all theoretical.  Personally I don't subscribe to the idea that's what he'll do, purely because it would be such an immense failure to read the room on what the mood and reaction would be, and I struggle to even think Johnson & co could be that boneheaded.  But it wouldn't be the biggest shock in the world if he is and does.

8 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Our offices are re-opening on 1st September, but we've been told all employees should aim to spend 1 - 2 days a week max in the office ( minimum of 2-4 days in the office per month) and they rest working from home. They've set up an app for us to book those days in advance so that they can ensure the office is always at around half capacity (circa 600 people). 

I feel ok about it because I'm lucky enough that I can walk/cycle to work pretty easily so can avoid public transport, but I must admit I wouldn't be comfortable going back to the office full time at this point so I think they've taken a sensible approach. 

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

5 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

I work at a university and in the last few weeks we've heard (via line management) that "no professional services staff will be back on campus until January" and then "well it might end up being that some of you are maybe back in in September.. but maybe not all the time".

So I'm none the wiser! It's going to come as a shock to the system, I'll tell you that much. Even though I lack a decent home office environment, I've so enjoyed home working. And it's barely impeded my work.. it's actually made so many things so much easier.

30 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

A somewhat sobering prediction to start the day.....especially when you consider that first wave predictions of between 5,000 - 20,000 deaths being a good result were way off the mark 😕

7 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Our place is taking a really good approach actually, very lucky in that respect.  Offices are running at <20% capacity, up to between 20% and 30% from September onwards.  You have to go through line manager if you want to be in the office, and they're taking each case on an individual basis. Absolutely no pressure to be on site, and that's a consistent message from the top down. Took delivery of a proper office chair from one of our sites last week, and other kit is available so we're properly set up. TBH I can't fault it.

The non-believers in consistent WFH in management have had their notions of impacts on productivity and so on pretty much squashed.  My dept has been surveyed by our FD for how many days a week we think we're needed in the office in future, not just in the current climate, so there's going to be a lot more focus on in it in future I think.

5 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

A somewhat sobering prediction to start the day.....especially when you consider that first wave predictions of between 5,000 - 20,000 deaths being a good result were way off the mark 😕

In the article they do stress that it's a possibility, not a prediction though.  Not all doom & gloom.

5 minutes ago, Homer said:

I totally get the whole 'distractions' tactic - the only part I don;t get is when the distractions themselves are making your government look idiotic and harming your long term prospects (although my initial reaction to the Cummings fiasco was that they don't care about the long term, as their only objectives left were getting us past 30 June/31 Dec - I don't know if that takes me into the realms of the uber-cynical though).

I think they're playing it much like Trump (or Sturgeon, come to that), where it doesn't matter much if you look an idiot to your fanclub as they'll keep on cheering you anyway.

Add in (for Spaffer) the very-British "we must support the govt in a time of crisis", and they're riding enough of a wave to see them thru.

Dom has been spending millions of govt money (with his mates companies, obvs) on focus-grouping all the covid stuff (plus some brexit stuff under cover of covid ;) ) - and one of the way he works is by only caring what his supporters are thinking; he doesn't care how much the other side hates.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I think they're playing it much like Trump (or Sturgeon, come to that), where it doesn't matter much if you look an idiot to your fanclub as they'll keep on cheering you anyway.

Add in (for Spaffer) the very-British "we must support the govt in a time of crisis", and they're riding enough of a wave to see them thru.

Dom has been spending millions of govt money (with his mates companies, obvs) on focus-grouping all the covid stuff (plus some brexit stuff under cover of covid ;) ) - and one of the way he works is by only caring what his supporters are thinking; he doesn't care how much the other side hates.

Gotcha - just curious about their definition of 'being seen through' is. As in, is it all just about getting a hard Brexit and a payoff? I think part of my problem is that a small part of my brain imagines that Johnson has some kind of conscience (I know) and actually does care about being PM in the longer-term/not going  down in history as the man who flushed his country down the f@cking toilet.

I suspect that he initially got on the Brexit bandwagon for career advancement purposes, and that it was only once he truly realised that you can't polish a turd that he thought he might as well join the Tufton Street lot in making a fortune out of the whole fiasco.