When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Why the 24th? Why not end of this week? Ludicrous.

Just WTF? I mean really? I'm dumbfounded by this lot I really am. Why not tomorrow?

Edited by MrZigster

My husband and i have been wearing masks when we go to the shops or outside since March.   I  just dont understand the problem some folk seem to have - to me it is just consideration for other people.   Anyway i have just sourced official LFC masks for him as i am fed up with his darth vader type cycle mask he has adopted recently.

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

I can see why they are not expecting people to wear them tomorrow. People who don’t have masks will need to buy masks so a little bit of time needs be allowed for that. 

10 days may be a little excessive though. 

I agree, but next Monday would be more appropriate, not next Friday 🙈

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

I can see why they are not expecting people to wear them tomorrow. People who don’t have masks will need to buy masks so a little bit of time needs be allowed for that. 

10 days may be a little excessive though. I 

I received my masks before the bank cleared the transaction - ordered over the weekend arrived this afternoon. 

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Available in any Asda if anyone needs one .. paper versions and I would encourage material ones but they are quite easy to get hold of now 

6 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

It will be interesting to see if other indoor settings are included in this one, like offices 

From the immediate announcement tonight, it doesn’t seem like it, but we will find out all the details tomorrow.

In my opinion it would be stupid to overlook other enclosed crowded indoor spaces, like cinemas, libraries and offices

1 minute ago, Chapple12345 said:

I've heard of a few places giving them out of people don't have them on the door, would it be policed by someone before people enter? 

For bigger shops like supermarkets it would be easy for security to do it ... smaller independents not so much 

27 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Just WTF? I mean really? I'm dumbfounded by this lot I really am. Why not tomorrow?

Catch 22 I would suppose! You need a mask to go the shop, you need to go to the shop to get a mask

25 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Good point well made. Hadn't thought that through had I. But. Masks were good advice weeks ago weren't they?

33 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Another U turn by this terrible government. No wonder people don't know what to do.

Quite. Don't start me off. Due back to work tomorrow (see post in Furloughed thread). I still don't really have a clue what to do for the best really. None the wiser or feeling more reassured than I was three months ago (probably less so, given the blatant incompetence). This thing's still here. My feeling is they're being a bit gung ho. I hope I'm wrong.

4 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Question, no offence meant. Do you talk about anything else other than face masks

In Festival Jamie’s defence, I’m sure he does - but I totally get his frustration over this. I’m pleased that it’s now a requirement and not a suggestion - was beginning to feel like an outlier during my weekly supermarket shop 

8 minutes ago, onthebeach said:

In Festival Jamie’s defence, I’m sure he does - but I totally get his frustration over this. I’m pleased that it’s now a requirement and not a suggestion - was beginning to feel like an outlier during my weekly supermarket shop 

Haha, thank you.

I'm sorry I've been bloody harping on about face masks so much!

I work in retail, and since beginning of lockdown I have been wearing a mask to every visit to a shop, whether it be a supermarket, retail store or local bank. Before lockdown, at the end of February/beginning of march, as the virus was starting to escalate in Europe, a colleague and I, we both worked in the same store, decided we would feel a lot safer wearing masks. So we both went to our manager and asked if we could wear face masks. We were immediately shut down and told that it would "scare the customers away".

I appreciate that was back in late Feb/early March, but since then, I have been actively encouraging uptake of masks, because I felt extremely unsafe in the workplace, and I want other staff in other stores now to feel safe by members of the public wearing masks when they come into a shop, so that staff are protected, and staff can protect guests too by wearing face masks. Hence why my views have been so strong and passionate.

I've been lobbying face masks in shops for 3-4 months now, encouraging friends, family and the local community, I hope I have made a positive change over the last few months, although in reality I haven't really done anything, maybe my voice has been heard by a couple of people. But today's announcement feels like a win, a victory. Finally I feel like this country can make progress against this virus, increased mask uptake can definitely put a second wave to bed in this country if we all work together, so that's exactly what I hope we all start doing, and that in turn will save thousands more lives.

I'm a bit sad other indoor spaces haven't been announced too but nonetheless, tonight's announcement is massive progress on how this country deals with the outbreak. Leaving it to next Friday to start is slightly crazy, but at least a positive change is happening which can protect more vulnerable people.

Now this issue which has been bothering me for months has been finally considered, I can *hopefully* shut up about face masks! 🤣

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Just making fools of themselves, yet again. And the fact other indoor spaces aren’t mentioned is ridiculous too

2 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

From the immediate announcement tonight, it doesn’t seem like it, but we will find out all the details tomorrow.

In my opinion it would be stupid to overlook other enclosed crowded indoor spaces, like cinemas, libraries and offices

They don't believe in them, they still need the virus spreading ahead of January plus continuing their herd immunity fantasy. But the populist tide must be turning towards masks, plus Scotland is doing it so they need to be seen as doing something..

So to look like they're doing something they've chosen the place out of those we can go to where you're probably least likely to catch it vs those where you spend prolonged time and actually get close to people (obviously its good for shop staff, but everyone was still going to supermarkets during lockdown and we managed to get numbers vastly down....). But they"ll never do it in pubs or the restaurants they're desperate for people to go to because it might put people off going to them. Nor offices or people might not go back and buy their £5 soggy Pret sandwiches and spend their £hundreds per month on public transport to be miserable.

They're accidentally protecting shop workers, but clearly those are not where it spread the most as shown during lockdown. Other shops have opened, no big spikes yet. Clearly it spread mainly elsewhere in March. 

It needs to be all indoors, but the virus might go away and they'd have to own their Brexit...

Edited by efcfanwirral

I'm glad the mask rule is going into law. I wish they'd put more of the rules they want us to follow into actual law rather than "guidance" which is actually unenforceable.

Between that and the vague press briefings from ministers it's becoming impossible to keep up with what you actually are and aren't allowed to do. 

6 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

And then a honeymoon during the summer recess.

which reminds me ...

Masks are the distraction to get the publication of the Russia report delayed until after recess, when the new committee will decide to rewrite it to delay it again.

It's gotta be pushed back to the new year. ;)