When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

55 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it's unlikely to be for just shops. 

You can't really say 'shops' and not include other indoor spaces where people come together.

At the moment everything I've seen is just shops, but I guess the actual announcement could be different. In Scotland it's just shops isn't it? I'm guessing there will be a presser this week? Or maybe just a Johnson desk-banger.

I do take Quark's point that it's about the wider perception etc. But if weddings aren't included and that's not breaking the rules I'm sure people who don't even care when the government do break the rules won't be arsed.

On the offices thing, I'm freelance anyway so no obligation really to come back in at all, but the place I'm working reopened for 30% of the workforce in July. You have to book your slot a week in advance and there's no tea/coffee facilities for hygiene reasons. Hot water is provided if you want to bring your own mug and tea etc. Apparently half the desks are taped off. Sounds grim to be honest! I think the idea is to steadily expand this back to normal.

For me, the tube is the offputting part, especially having seen the low mask uptake over the weekend. I already hated the central line commute before the pandemic as so squashed in with people. I will probably try to explore an alternative for if and when I do go back (too scared to cycle in London though).

9 minutes ago, Homer said:

Gotcha - just curious about their definition of 'being seen through' is. As in, is it all just about getting a hard Brexit and a payoff? I think part of my problem is that a small part of my brain imagines that Johnson has some kind of conscience (I know) and actually does care about being PM in the longer-term/not going  down in history as the man who flushed his country down the f@cking toilet.

i think he's (and Treeza before him) working from the idea that he can't really go wrong by doing what the electorate voted for. So far it's looking like he's not wrong about that.

The thing of course is that people voted for different things, so that's not necessarily going to hold. Personally I think it's going to be small stuff that turns many supporters against what they're doing with brexit - stuff like no more pet passports, and having to pay for health insurance. People voted for bad consequences onto others and not onto themselves.

9 minutes ago, Homer said:

I suspect that he initially got on the Brexit bandwagon for career advancement purposes, and that it was only once he truly realised that you can't polish a turd that he thought he might as well join the Tufton Street lot in making a fortune out of the whole fiasco.

I don't think there's anyone much who's guaranteed to profit from brexit (there will be some exceptions of course). I think it's more about the opportunities that chaos will create than a guaranteed win for those types.
(some of the win will of course come back to the politicans who drive it, as it always does).

I think it's more that Spaffer is reliant on Dom, and that he'd have to do some work himself if he wasn't. And for as long as Dom is doing Spaffer good, Spaffer is happy to ride the wave.

I personally think most of it is a set-up by Gove, who I think is the one pulling Dom's strings. And Murdoch is pulling Gove's strings. I'm almost tempted to place a bet that Gove will be PM before then end of next year.

21 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Key to point out that whilst this is a reasonable worse case scenario it isn’t a prediction and goes on the proviso that there wouldn’t be any government intervention.

One of those responsible for this report was just on 6 Music news saying this is a reasonable worst case scenario (remember we had a similar Brexit one?). Hopefully, like with the Nightingale hospitals, we won’t be in this situation. Planning for the worst, isn’t it?

I’ve been thinking this morning that I can’t see how under any circumstance this is going away before Christmas. We are nearly in August and it’s still increasingly prevalent.

As temperatures get colder I’m worried a second spike will emerge quicker. The virus will also linger around longer in the colder months.

Also with the resistance to masks I can’t see this suddenly turning around before then. 

It’s either going to be a case of living with the virus or a vaccine at this point. If there is another lockdown in the winter the retail sector will collapse if there is a fall in Christmas shopping. I think things are going to get even trickier.

What I’m telling some senior and ignorant members of my family who think wearing a mask is an infringement of freedom is that we are running very close to this being a major issue at Christmas, and if Christmas cannot go ahead I think some Brits will not know what to do. Imagine if we can’t go and visit family at Christmas?

wear

a fucking

mask!

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Sat in my staff canteen listening to the whinging about wearing masks ... in amazement at some attitudes ... whilst quietly grinning to myself ... it’s something people just need to accept ... it’s pretty basic thing to help others ... 

I've seen people arguing online that they object to it because it doesn't actually stop you from catching germs which IIRC was the approach they used at the start, an utterly ludicrous excuse if you're asking me 

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’ve been thinking this morning that I can’t see how under any circumstance this is going away before Christmas. We are nearly in August and it’s still increasingly prevalent.

As temperatures get colder I’m worried a second spike will emerge quicker. The virus will also linger around longer in the colder months.

Also with the resistance to masks I can’t see this suddenly turning around before then. 

It’s either going to be a case of living with the virus or a vaccine at this point. If there is another lockdown in the winter the retail sector will collapse if there is a fall in Christmas shopping. I think things are going to get even trickier.

What I’m telling some senior and ignorant members of my family who think wearing a mask is an infringement of freedom is that we are running very close to this being a major issue at Christmas, and if Christmas cannot go ahead I think some Brits will not know what to do. Imagine if we can’t go and visit family at Christmas?

wear

a fucking

mask!

I’m out of upvotes, but I wanted to give this a like.

Due to the nature of our first lockdown(not very strict) and how long the economy took to unlock, a second lock down in the UK really isn’t feasible, it will completely destroy people’s mental health and the economy will completely collapse.

If cases start to rise exponentially again, the best approach would be Spain’s approach in Catalonia, everyone needs to wear a mask when stepping outside the house. The people who don’t like wearing masks, are stuck indoors, reducing the spread, and those who are willing to wear a mask to protect others, are allowed out to go about their business, while transmission is suppressed due to mask wearing. It’s best people start getting used to wearing masks now, because if transmission hits us hard in the winter, another lockdown isn’t really feasible, it will be universal masking, thousands of deaths or destroy the economy. I know which of those three options I’d rather take, universal masking is 100% the most painful method to reduce transmission and save lives and the economy.

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Sat in my staff canteen listening to the whinging about wearing masks ... in amazement at some attitudes ... whilst quietly grinning to myself ... it’s something people just need to accept ... it’s pretty basic thing to help others ... 

Just tell them, would they rather wear a bit of cloth on their face every day, or would they rather indirectly send someone to hospital, onto a ventilator and then indirectly kill them as a result. Should hopefully shut them up.

Wearing a mask is a selfless act, in my opinion those who object to this new rule are utterly selfish, and we need to start getting used to wearing them, and people need to start wearing them in other indoor areas out of choice to really suppress transmission, especially when it escalates in the winter.

11 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Given that it is highly unlikely we ever get cases to zero, at what point will it be considered safe to no longer wear masks/practice social distancing?  Until there's a vaccine?  What if we never get a vaccine..will it be mandatory masks and distancing forever?

I’m of the view that we will get over this by increased sanitation, masks in shops etc, effective treatment, and just a general awareness of hygiene.

We don’t necessarily need a vaccine to operate again - the only problem is people resist the stuff above which means we’re doomed 😂

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I’m of the view that we will get over this by increased sanitation, masks in shops etc, effective treatment, and just a general awareness of hygiene.

We don’t necessarily need a vaccine to operate again - the only problem is people resist the stuff above which means we’re doomed 😂

So if we never get a vaccine, do you think distancing and masks will be required forever?

2 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

So if we never get a vaccine, do you think distancing and masks will be required forever?

I imagine a lot of places will adopt the use of masks even after the pandemic has finished, however there's every chance we don't get a vaccine but the virus mutates to become less dangerous or infectious, it's impossible to guess the situation by the winter at this time so I think we just need to listen to the scientists rather than the government 

7 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Nah. Eventually it will mutate into a less dangerous strain. How long that will take though is anyone’s guess. It’s what happened with the Spanish flu.

3 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Social distancing isn’t feasible for much longer, especially as most people don’t bother to do it anymore. I’d say mask wearing could stick around for a lot longer, until we find a suitable way of how to deal with this. When big events such as sporting start up again, social distancing in general isnt going to be particularly feasible, there will always be crowding, even on a reduced capacity, but compulsory masks are a much better solution at restarting these sorts of events while preventing an outbreak of the virus.

Everything has been advancing a lot the last few months. I’d say it’s highly likely within the next year we either find some sort of treatment or a potential vaccine. Whether it’s llama antibodies, human plasma or a vaccine, I’m pretty hopeful there will be some breakthrough which will mean we can live with this virus and it becomes significantly lower risk. Or there’s the unlikely but possible route that the virus will keep mutating and mutate into a really un-infectious strain which kills itself off.

On and off lockdowns are not feasible forever, social distancing is not feasible forever, locking vulnerable people up is not feasible forever, mask wearing is only feasible for the near future(max 1-2 years). There will have to be another way forwards.

The Spanish flu disappeared from society, didnt it? Hopefully this similarly gets lost!

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Nah. Eventually it will mutate into a less dangerous strain. How long that will take though is anyone’s guess. It’s what happened with the Spanish flu.

Imagine if we have to wait until that point before festivals are allowed again :(

Edited by Cream Soda

21 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Correct, what I find perplexing is the wait until the end of next week. Why not just start wearing them now, giving a few days to allow everyone to get used to them before making it mandatory. It’s no big deal, apart from having to remember to take one with you everywhere you go. I just keep one next to my house keys and a couple of spares in the car. Been wearing one in shops for weeks now, it soon becomes habitual.  After all the comments a few months ago that masks aren’t needed suddenly it’s all change. Better late than never seems to be the motto of this government. 

I'm supposed to be fulfilling a bucket list wish of going to South Africa in July next year to follow the Lions tour. 

Now been warned that this is highly unlikely to be going ahead and that distancing/travel restrictions/mass gathering bans in RSA at least will still be in place tentatively until the autumn. Plans in place to reschedule the tour but can't see it happening myself.

That is indicative of the current timescale.