When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Heard the news on the radio describe it as the government hoping it will "encourage people back to the high street" so it's clearly not a life saving exercise, as shown by it being only shops and not all indoor places (not sure it needs to go as far as all outdoor places). 

Notice this u turn happened just after Trump went out wearing a mask in public. It concerns me that they're all co-ordinating in some way 

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Heard the news on the radio describe it as the government hoping it will "encourage people back to the high street" so it's clearly not a life saving exercise, as shown by it being only shops and not all indoor places (not sure it needs to go as far as all outdoor places). 

Notice this u turn happened just after Trump went out wearing a mask in public. It concerns me that they're all co-ordinating in some way 

well...yeah, they need people going to shops again for the sake of the economy. This is an economic crisis as well as a health crisis, both interlinked.

There is some worry that people will be less likely to social distance and wash hands properly if wearing a mask.

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Remember that distribution is longest part of the process for a vaccine even when they have one. 

Yeah for sure. But then the priority will be the vulnerable people. Once they are vaccinated, we can open more without mass deaths. 

39 minutes ago, Copperface said:

I'm supposed to be fulfilling a bucket list wish of going to South Africa in July next year to follow the Lions tour. 

Now been warned that this is highly unlikely to be going ahead and that distancing/travel restrictions/mass gathering bans in RSA at least will still be in place tentatively until the autumn. Plans in place to reschedule the tour but can't see it happening myself.

That is indicative of the current timescale.

I think within the next year we'll only really be able to travel within our continents so we'd only be able to travel around Europe to stop any major outbreaks going across borders 

1 hour ago, FestivalJamie said:

I’m out of upvotes, but I wanted to give this a like.

Due to the nature of our first lockdown(not very strict) and how long the economy took to unlock, a second lock down in the UK really isn’t feasible, it will completely destroy people’s mental health and the economy will completely collapse.

If cases start to rise exponentially again, the best approach would be Spain’s approach in Catalonia, everyone needs to wear a mask when stepping outside the house. The people who don’t like wearing masks, are stuck indoors, reducing the spread, and those who are willing to wear a mask to protect others, are allowed out to go about their business, while transmission is suppressed due to mask wearing. It’s best people start getting used to wearing masks now, because if transmission hits us hard in the winter, another lockdown isn’t really feasible, it will be universal masking, thousands of deaths or destroy the economy. I know which of those three options I’d rather take, universal masking is 100% the most painful method to reduce transmission and save lives and the economy.

Just tell them, would they rather wear a bit of cloth on their face every day, or would they rather indirectly send someone to hospital, onto a ventilator and then indirectly kill them as a result. Should hopefully shut them up.

Wearing a mask is a selfless act, in my opinion those who object to this new rule are utterly selfish, and we need to start getting used to wearing them, and people need to start wearing them in other indoor areas out of choice to really suppress transmission, especially when it escalates in the winter.

We were slow to go into lockdown which cost lives, but can you really say now when cases are still dropping that our lockdown being “not very strict” made any real difference. The relative differences in our actual lockdown when we shut everything down and had to stay at home compared to other countries was minimal. Ok, some might have enforced stay at home orders more strictly, but months down the line with so many relaxations and cases still falling, how much difference do you think that made? We’ve had VE Day parties, people crammed on beaches, riots, protests, pubs opening and cases still fall. So how much difference did you think stay at home unless you need food or exercise vs stay at home or we’ll fine you €1000 really made?

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

well...yeah, they need people going to shops again for the sake of the economy. This is an economic crisis as well as a health crisis, both interlinked.

There is some worry that people will be less likely to social distance and wash hands properly if wearing a mask.

I don't see anyone social distancing now so don't think this will make much difference.

7 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

I think within the next year we'll only really be able to travel within our continents so we'd only be able to travel around Europe to stop any major outbreaks going across borders 

Based on what? There's no restrictions stopping people from booking flights to places in Asia and Africa now as far as I know, so not sure why that would be the case next year.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Correct, what I find perplexing is the wait until the end of next week. Why not just start wearing them now, giving a few days to allow everyone to get used to them before making it mandatory. It’s no big deal, apart from having to remember to take one with you everywhere you go. I just keep one next to my house keys and a couple of spares in the car. Been wearing one in shops for weeks now, it soon becomes habitual.  After all the comments a few months ago that masks aren’t needed suddenly it’s all change. Better late than never seems to be the motto of this government. 

People need time to procure masks, plus now it's enforceable by law, presumably those with medical exemptions will need time to actually get evidence of those medical exemptions, if they don't already have it.

25 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

So how much difference did you think stay at home unless you need food or exercise vs stay at home or we’ll fine you €1000 really made?

It wasn't "stay at home unless you need food or exercise" though. You're conveniently omitting the one thing we did very differently that visibly had the largest impact, and still is in Leicester and other places. It was "stay at home unless you need food, exercise, or can't work from home".

Hence millions of people travelling into work, often on public transport, every day. 

In other countries only key workers were allowed to go out to work. Our government left it up to employers.

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

People need time to procure masks, plus now it's enforceable by law, presumably those with medical exemptions will need time to actually get evidence of those medical exemptions, if they don't already have it.

It wasn't "stay at home unless you need food or exercise" though. You're conveniently omitting the one thing we did very differently that visibly had the largest impact, and still is in Leicester and other places. It was "stay at home unless you need food, exercise, or can't work from home".

Hence millions of people travelling into work, often on public transport, every day. 

In other countries only key workers were allowed to go out to work. Our government left it up to employers.

You’ll struggle here, he refuses to see that we did anything wrong and our measures/response could’ve been improved upon in anyway. 

@crazyfool1 You should challenge those people if you feel comfortable, we need to start doing this more. Nothing will ever change otherwise. 

9 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

No that was the next phase after the actual proper lockdown, public transport was only for key workers and it was being enforced by the police.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

You’ll struggle here, he refuses to see that we did anything wrong and our measures/response could’ve been improved upon in anyway. 

The thing is, I think he has a point. A lot of the fuss that has been made about beach parties and protests and stuff turned out to not really have any impact (though we weren't to know that at the time). The government didn't make the best decisions, but they didn't make particularly bad ones. Our handling of it was basically "okay". Except for two areas: mismanaging carehomes, and not shutting down non-essential industry.

That the focus is on if we're wearing masks a few weeks too late while not reporting on these elements is very much the problem.

@crazyfool1 You should challenge those people if you feel comfortable, we need to start doing this more. Nothing will ever change otherwise. 

Believe me I am as much as possible ... quite a few will be wearing them before the date ... I’ve also spoken to the deputy store manager today to get the management team and supervisors to demonstrate what a good job looks like before the 24th to show the colleagues it can be done 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

The thing is, I think he has a point. A lot of the fuss that has been made about beach parties and protests and stuff turned out to not really have any impact (though we weren't to know that at the time). The government didn't make the best decisions, but they didn't make particularly bad ones. Our handling of it was basically "okay". Except for two areas: mismanaging carehomes, and not shutting down non-essential industry.

That the focus is on if we're wearing masks a few weeks too late while not reporting on these elements is very much the problem.

40,000 deaths goes against doing ‘okay’. How offensive to the families of people that have list loved ones to say that even though so many have lost we have still done ‘okay’. I’ve seen the stress it’s out on people in the healthcare sector the added pressure of a government that’s had no clue what they are doing, to say we have done ‘okay’ is pretty horrendous for those people as well. 

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

No that was the next phase after the actual proper lockdown, public transport was only for key workers and it was being enforced by the police.

Sorry but that's entirely untrue and is the sort of retroactive gaslighting this government and its supporters have been engaging in for years now. Just how like we all voted for no deal.

PM statement 23 March:

That is why people will only be allowed to leave their home for the following very limited purposes:

• shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible
  • one form of exercise a day - for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household;
  • any medical need, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person; and
  • travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/pm-address-to-the-nation-on-coronavirus-23-march-2020

It was left to individual companies to determine if having workers in was "absolutely necessary".  

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Nope, you could go to work if you were unable to work from home.

Does anyone have some recommendations for masks that are reasonably comfortable and breathable but obviously still work? I've got some that we ordered early on but they're made from really thick material that makes it hard to breathe- maybe that's all there is but it would be nice if there was something that makes breathing a little easier...some I've seen people wearing don't look as bad

Edited by efcfanwirral

Just now, DeanoL said:

Sorry but that's entirely untrue and is the sort of retroactive gaslighting this government and its supporters have been engaging in for years now. Just how like we all voted for no deal.

PM statement 23 March:

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/pm-address-to-the-nation-on-coronavirus-23-march-2020

It was left to individual companies to determine if having workers in was "absolutely necessary".  

Ok apologies, I think I’m getting confused with when Boris came out on that Sunday and said if you can’t work from home go back to work. Up to then I had friends who were tradesman and builders etc who couldn’t work until that announcement.

The Leicester factory thing I’m not sure about. They clearly couldn’t work and socially distance, so were they doing something they were actually allowed to do?

1 minute ago, Copperface said:

Nope, you could go to work if you were unable to work from home.

As has been pointed out, but see my post above. What was the announcement Boris made on the Sunday saying if you couldn’t work from home go back to work?

I had friends who work in construction and who are self employed who couldn’t work until that announcement.

40,000 deaths goes against doing ‘okay’. How offensive to the families of people that have list loved ones to say that even though so many have lost we have still done ‘okay’. I’ve seen the stress it’s out on people in the healthcare sector the added pressure of a government that’s had no clue what they are doing, to say we have done ‘okay’ is pretty horrendous for those people as well. 

I'm not sure if you're willfully misinterpreting me or just being argumentative here? Our death count isn't loads higher than other countries, so comparatively we did okay. That's the only sensible way of measuring it.

I guess you don't think any country has done well then? Because if you say Norway handled it "well" it's offensive to the 252 people who died there?