When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Whilst having masks mandatory in all indoor situations would be the sensible decision, I honestly think the government is just going to make them mandatory in shops to match with Scotland. Having them mandatory in shops is better than nothing, but it honestly seems blind not to have masks mandatory in other indoor spaces such as cinemas, toilets, gyms, where the virus can spread just as easily as in a shop.

And Boris has said that it's important people wear face coverings in locations where you see people you wouldn't normally see i.e. strangers.

If they do make legislation about wearing masks in indoor areas, it may well be up to individual businesses whether they mandate it, but in all shops they would be compulsory. This means, for example, cineworld could make them mandatory in their cinemas as the staff were petitioning for. 

It is a little dumb making masks mandatory in shops but not other enclosed locations. No doubt it's an improvement of the current situation we have already, and no doubt people wearing masks in shops will reduce transmission across supermarket aisles, but I just hope other poorly ventilated enclosed spaces haven't been overlooked. 

Edited by FestivalJamie

This bodes well for my October holiday to Greece (booked last year). Ah well, I hope Stan Johnson had a nice time.

I think that could be the final nail in my wife and I's debate about whether to drive over to France next month or stay in the UK.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/greece-travel-second-lockdown-restrictions-spike-coronavirus-holiday-a9615861.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1594641420

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

They're going to come out with new guidance later in the week.

The cynical me would say they are worried about this survey and not having their voters on board - hence the mixed messaging over the last few days and focus groups probably being hastily arranged. Or being even more cynical they are concerned about killing off their voter base who it looks like are predominantly against masks. Nothing to do with the health of the nation as a whole.

1497C121-17F1-4929-A9AA-EC993E0A2ACD.jpeg

It always has astonished me throughout this last 3 months how the government will wait days to announce a covid measure that could save and stop spreading. Why not just announce mandatory masks as soon as you've decided it, Some things you need to plan how to announce to get the messaging right, but waiting days to say whether not mask will or won't be mandatory seems negligent at this point

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

And public transport carriers probably lobbying too. It's mental that so much of the economy is based on people being miserable - all the talk seems to be that working from home is destroying the economy....

I’m definitely spending less on random spontaneous crap I don’t need because I’m not walking past shops. 

38 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

It always has astonished me throughout this last 3 months how the government will wait days to announce a covid measure that could save and stop spreading. Why not just announce mandatory masks as soon as you've decided it, Some things you need to plan how to announce to get the messaging right, but waiting days to say whether not mask will or won't be mandatory seems negligent at this point

They delayed lockdown until after Carrie's babyshower.

Spaffer and Carrie are due to get married "in the summer".

Masks are now a no-brainer.

There's a reason why they are making a fuss with the dithering.

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Imagine putting the health of the country at risk just so your wedding pictures aren’t ruined. 

13 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

surely they can insert a clause that makes wedding photos acceptable without masks .... a la DC 

20 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Could be that they need to make doubly sure the angey Brexit types aren't as mad as the American equivalents and won't kick up a huge fuss about civil liberties etc 

Is it easy to make an appointment to get a test? And if thats not the issue, how many people are actually making the effort go get one. Because that could be the thing, a lot of people do not feel they should even take one, thus lower numbers despite the capacity.

There’s a poll on https://yougov.co.uk about whether masks should be mandatory in shops or not.

I honestly don’t get why this is even up for debate, wearing a mask can save someone’s life by preventing virus transmission. We are talking about saving lives here, and 34% of people think it should be optional!

What kind of world do we live in, if everyone wears a mask indoors virus transmission can be suppressed massively, based on scientific evidence. But clearly some people are too selfish and only care about themselves and not about other people getting infected, ending up on a ventilator and potentially dying, infact it’s 34% of the population!

I honestly can’t comprehend why this is a discussion anymore in the government, it’s been a policy in other countries for months now, and we are still lagging behind doing nothing, and hundreds and hundreds more are dying, and a third of the population doesn’t seem to care. I’m honestly just so perplexed right now.

Anyway for those of us who are wearing masks, keep doing what you’re doing, it could save a life, especially given asymptomatic transmission(80% of cases) and the virus is airborne, so it’s really important to take extra care to protect other people.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

There’s a poll on https://yougov.co.uk about whether masks should be mandatory in shops or not.

I honestly don’t get why this is even up for debate, wearing a mask can save someone’s life by preventing virus transmission. We are talking about saving lives here, and 34% of people think it should be optional!

What kind of world do we live in, if everyone wears a mask indoors virus transmission can be suppressed massively, based on scientific evidence. But clearly some people are too selfish and only care about themselves and not about other people getting infected, ending up on a ventilator and potentially dying, infact it’s 34% of the population!

I honestly can’t comprehend why this is a discussion anymore in the government, it’s been a policy in other countries for months now, and we are still lagging behind doing nothing, and hundreds and hundreds more are dying, and a third of the population doesn’t seem to care. I’m honestly just so perplexed right now.

Anyway for those of us who are wearing masks, keep doing what you’re doing, it could save a life, especially given asymptomatic transmission(80% of cases) and the virus is airborne, so it’s really important to take extra care to protect other people.

ive been having a discussion today with some co workers and saying its frustrating me that others aren't wearing them .... I made this point that it protects others and they told me they would wear them if they become mandatory :(  ... I also was talking to 2 friends who have decided amongst their fellow workers that they won't wear them in work vehicles ... the things those covid nurses and drs had to put up with .. and we are this selfish  it astounds me 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

ive been having a discussion today with some co workers and saying its frustrating me that others aren't wearing them .... I made this point that it protects others and they told me they would wear them if they become mandatory :(  ... I also was talking to 2 friends who have decided amongst their fellow workers that they won't wear them in work vehicles ... the things those covid nurses and drs had to put up with .. and we are this selfish  it astounds me 

In Holland the mask policy is more relaxed than here, but even there you have to wear a mask if you are in a car or vehicle with someone you don’t live with.

Crazy that your friends and fellow workers feel like all of this trying to suppress the virus, joint effort and working together doesn’t apply to them.

8 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I don't think it's that, I think its the mixed messages from the start of all this.  Not only were we told they were not that effective, we were actively told not to wear them.  Whatever the reasons for that were and however the message has now changed, I think that has stuck in people's heads.  Even now (today at least) the message is there is only a need to wear them when you can't socially distance.

We were also told at the start that it wasn't airborne (like quite clearly here in this WHO Twitter post: https://twitter.com/who/status/1243972193169616898?lang=en).  I get that things change, but they shouldn't have been so definitive about it before if they were not sure, because its then harder to change people's minds.

11 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

I don't think it's that, I think its the mixed messages from the start of all this.  Not only were we told they were not that effective, we were actively told not to wear them.  Whatever the reasons for that were and however the message has now changed, I think that has stuck in people's heads.  Even now (today at least) the message is there is only a need to wear them when you can't socially distance.

We were also told at the start that it wasn't airborne (like quite clearly here in this WHO Twitter post: https://twitter.com/who/status/1243972193169616898?lang=en).  I get that things change, but they shouldn't have been so definitive about it before if they were not sure, because its then harder to change people's minds.

What I don’t understand, is the WHO have been lying from the start. First of all saying masks are useless, then saying the virus is not airborne, and then u-turning all of that advice.

Something suspicious going on here to be honest.

I mean I’ve been wearing a mask since beginning of March, as that’s what I saw all the people in Asia doing, so I thought it was a good idea, and then when other countries like Germany, Italy and Spain mandated masks, I knew what I was doing was correct. I know the government tried to actively steer us away from masks in this country, but I always knew that they were just doing that to protect their supplies of PPE. They should really do a public statement now apologising for incorrect advice in March, and saying that this is new advice in line with WHO updated advice.

I understand your point though, I read a post online the other day, someone was saying that they weren’t going to wear a mask as the virus is only transmitted through touching your face. Obviously we know this isn’t correct now as the virus is airborne, which is exactly why it’s so key to wear a mask. But I understand what you are saying, some people still have the old, incorrect advice in their heads rather than the new, updated advice, which could be putting them off wearing masks.

I guess at the end of the day it’s down to the government’s mis-messaging from the beginning of the outbreak. If only we had been clearer on policies like Germany, spain and Italy we wouldn’t be in this position where people are finding it hard to trust that masks really do stop the spread.

Edited by FestivalJamie