When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Can anyone inform me as to why it has taken until the middle of summer for this country's government (as a whole) to start taking mask wearing seriously? 

I genuinely cannot comprehend it. 

Because, useless. 

1 minute ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Can anyone inform me as to why it has taken until the middle of summer for this country's government (as a whole) to start taking mask wearing seriously? 

Probably because of the same thing...  that we seem to think we are better than everyone else by adopting some different policy’s in the hope that if one works we can claim a world leading status ... 

What I just don’t get about Michael gove saying that face masks shouldn’t be mandatory in enclosed spaces.... it’s almost like he wants thousands more people to die?

The government should be doing everything they can to protect the British people, health and economy are linked. The lower the virus cases, the more the countries economy can get started again. If everyone wears a mask in enclosed spaces, we can keep virus transmission low, reduce the deaths and health impact, and get the economy started again.

Its almost like Gove wants us to have another major second wave, killing thousands more people and shutting down the county again. He says “he’s trusting people’s common sense”- well lots of people don’t have any- it’s just a way to shift the blame onto the public when it all kicks off again!

They need to take some action! Make masks mandatory in enclosed spaces, compress the virus cases, save lives and restart the economy. It’s all linked. They are so fixated on rebooting the economy that they are forgetting the fact if they don’t do everything they can to stop the virus, thousands more people will die, more lockdowns, meaning the economy will be even more distraught.

(Masks have been “recommended” in shops for ages now, and yet people still don’t wear them- mask wearing has even gone down since the beginning of the outbreak in my local area. Unless they are compulsory and the government tells people to wear them, people just won’t get onboard and will do their own thing).

Edited by FestivalJamie

Just now, FestivalJamie said:

What I just don’t get about Michael gove saying that face masks shouldn’t be mandatory in enclosed spaces.... it’s almost like he wants thousands more people to die?

The government should be doing everything they can to protect the British people, health and economy are linked. The lower the virus cases, the more the countries economy can get started again. If everyone wears a mask in enclosed spaces, we can keep virus transmission low, reduce the deaths and health impact, and get the economy started again.

Its almost like Gove wants us to have another major second wave, killing thousands more people and shutting down the county again. He says “he’s trusting people’s common sense”- well lots of people don’t have any- it’s just a way to shift the blame onto the public when it all kicks off again!

They need to take some action! Make masks mandatory in enclosed spaces, compress the virus cases, save lives and restart the economy. It’s all linked. They are so fixated on rebooting the economy that they are forgetting the fact if they don’t do everything they can to stop the virus, thousands more people will die, more lockdowns, meaning the economy will be even more distraught.

This is what I dont get, mandating masks will have literally no negative affect on the economy. Quite the opposite infact! 

It therefore begs the question - what is the reason? Its obviously political, but what?? 

Its beyond incompetance for me now!!

Does it create some kind of negative impression of the government ... there is clearly something at play here ... why the differing talk from boris and gove within a few days ... they can’t be that out of step with each other ... it’s all a bit bizarre along with the stupidity of Cummings ... really seems more to this ... 

50 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Could be anything from us not having the facial recognition software china clearly must have that allows them to have  a mask wearing but still monitored society, or maybe not wanting to change our society to be like "others" (inferior in their minds) unless we have to. Remember "test and trace is for poorer countries" so you can only imagine what they think about masks.

20 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Does it create some kind of negative impression of the government ... there is clearly something at play here ... why the differing talk from boris and gove within a few days ... they can’t be that out of step with each other ... it’s all a bit bizarre along with the stupidity of Cummings ... really seems more to this ... 

If they know Brexit will destroy the economy to the level a second lockdown would anyway, they could be prolonging it to allow them to lockdown in January and blame the virus? They're screwed it if goes away but if it can be blamed on the virus, they could actually get away with it 

But if there are factions maybe some want to protect lives in the meantime and others don't? 

Edited by efcfanwirral

Is it possible that Boris comments and photo opportunity on Friday were a way of testing the masks policy with the core vote? Monitor the social media reaction and if it's hugely negative then ditch it as Gove seems to have said? Or perhaps they are testing reaction to his interview too...

I’m surprised there’s so many patients in hospital at the moment with the virus... seems awfully high to me.

Our 7 day case average is 579, which would lead, what, 12000 active infections. That would mean about 1/6 of people are being admitted to hospital with the virus. I guess it just shows how critical this virus really is.

If my numbers don’t make sense please feel free to correct me, I’m guesstimating

8 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Went to my big Tesco today, they've got rid of the queue, the anti-bac at the door and the one-way system. Is this virus over now?

According to no.10 Downing Street apparently the pandemic is “winding down”. 🤦🏻‍♂️ So maybe that’s why? 😂🤷🏼‍♂️

4 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Of my colleagues I’ve only seen 4 of around 200 that I’ve come into contact with wearing them at work ... I get it’s not easy for a while while working but it’s a price we need to pay for others just like the lockdown was ... my colleagues scare me tbh ... and I’ve no idea how to handle things 

Because they are now "mandatory" here we've been told as staff that if we are on the shop floor we have to be in either mask or visor so that side of things will improve although I've still seen other shops with staff without anything.

1 minute ago, mcshed said:

Because they are now "mandatory" here we've been told as staff that if we are on the shop floor we have to be in either mask or visor so that side of things will improve although I've still seen other shops with staff without anything.

hoping so ... although after Gove today we have still no idea which way we are going ....:( 

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

Went to my big Tesco today, they've got rid of the queue, the anti-bac at the door and the one-way system. Is this virus over now?

You see it now in general with people ignoring the guidelines that are in place, amounts of people meeting up not from the same household etc. I’ve noticed these people tend to be people that have said quite a lot about our response to the virus and now happily breach guidelines. No matter how small a breach might be if everyone did it then then it would spiral again.

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

Yeah I spotted this at my local big Tesco when I went on Friday evening. It still does have a one way system for entering/leaving (one done in a way that I felt was the wrong way round to begin with) but the rest is law of the jungle. Though people were respecting keeping distance more than I had expected.

I'm still wearing masks when I go though. And have been in a minority when doing so (though more masks are also being worn that expected).

19 minutes ago, Waterdeep said:

There's a line in there vaccines might not be that effective as well, raising the possibility it might have to be administered as an annual thing like a flu jab.

I mean blimey we've fucked this up as a planet.

23 minutes ago, Waterdeep said:

I don’t think it tells the whole story though. All the serology survey studies so far have indicated really low levels of antibodies in the population, and this study goes part of the way to explain why (it’s still a relatively small sample size, but it is a longitudinal study, so better than randomly testing some of the population). It’s entirely consistent with how our immune systems deal with other CoVs. But, my gut feeling is that the t-cell response is what leads to mild infections, and that persists for many more years. We may well end up in a situation where SARS-CoV-2 targeted T-cells build in those who don’t have cross-reactive t-cells from other CoV infections and we reach a stage where people pick it up seasonally, but only end up with mild symptoms. What we really need is a prospective study somewhere where the virus is rapidly spreading to characterise the t-cell repertoire in individuals prior to infection, and then correlate that with outcome. It would provide reassurance that we can reach a t-cell driven “herd immunity” that doesn’t stop you from getting infected, but does stop you from getting severe disease (and this may also be exactly what the Oxford vaccine facilitates)...still loads to learn, but I remain optimistic! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I mean blimey we've fucked this up as a planet.

You could also argue that humans as a whole are fucking up the planet and this is the planets way of fighting back. As Agent Smith famously said in The Matrix, "human beings are a virus" Covid-19 could be the anti-virus.