When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

41 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think we are probably about to approach the second wave phase. How will we deal with it though is the question?

if there's a second wave there won't be a lockdown and there won't be workers furloughed from work.

10 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Did you read that the findings from the report won’t be known until early July?

Reeks of them making a song and dance about reducing it in time for the pubs and restaurants to reopen.

Is that before or after the Russia report comes out?

The China thing is weird - read this on the BBC today: "China's chief epidemiologist of its Centre for Disease Control and Prevention has now said this particular strain did not resemble the type circulating across the rest of the country - suggesting it came from elsewhere."

Do they mean that it's a completely new strain? Or that maybe it's mutated since it left China and come back in as a slightly different strain? Or are they just lying?

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

The China thing is weird - read this on the BBC today: "China's chief epidemiologist of its Centre for Disease Control and Prevention has now said this particular strain did not resemble the type circulating across the rest of the country - suggesting it came from elsewhere."

Do they mean that it's a completely new strain? Or that maybe it's mutated since it left China and come back in as a slightly different strain? Or are they just lying?

I find it all very strange and concerning, all the more so because of all places the outbreak was in a fish market.

Edit: I guess that would support the claim it came in on infected meat though, being a different strain.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

18 minutes ago, Neil said:

if there's a second wave there won't be a lockdown and there won't be workers furloughed from work.

If they hit the trigger numbers for available hospitals beds there will have to be if they don't want to risk people dying in the streets.

Though I would say the chances of that happening are relatively low - just because of how cautious most people are still being. The reaction to any second wave from the public will be a lot different to the first.

14 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I find it all very strange and concerning, all the more so because of all places the outbreak was in a fish market.

Edit: I guess that would support the claim it came in on infected meat though, being a different strain.

But this is what I don't get- if it's imported then surely it's part of the same strain i.e. the one that originated in Wuhan and is now all around the world? Unless they mean just marginally different?

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’m struggling to think of something I would rather do less:

Primark aren't online, and loads of poorer people can only really afford to shop at primark for clothes for their kids e.t.c. Perfectly understandable IMO

9 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

But this is what I don't get- if it's imported then surely it's part of the same strain i.e. the one that originated in Wuhan and is now all around the world? Unless they mean just marginally different?

@Toilet Duck Will know, but as I understand it the virus mutates every so slightly as it spreads, so the virus in say Italy, will be different enough for them to be able say it’s not come from within China.

44 minutes ago, Neil said:

Yep, I suspect they'll say its up to local government to sort out local lockdowns but won't give any money for furloughing etc, making them unworkable. Then they can blame local government for the deaths etc.

37 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Do they mean  .... that maybe it's mutated since it left China and come back in as a slightly different strain?

this, I think.

It's possible to track how a virus has spread around the world from the minor mutations that happen as it gets passed around.

13 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

From what I understand these aren't the kind of mutations that causes us to need a new flu vaccine every year, they're much more subtle than that.  Coronaviruses on the whole are supposed to be a lot more genetically stable.

Words I bet you thought you'd never type 6 months ago :lol:

38 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Toilet duck is on a well deserved day off :) 

In a 3 day online meeting about how we reopen in September and deliver our curriculum! Riveting stuff...coffee break now though. 

Anyway, yes, the virus drifts a bit as it replicates and spreads globally. It's not entirely impossible that it has drifted as it spread within China, and it certainly has elsewhere. Genomic analysis of isolates in the UK suggests that the strains circulating bear most resemblance to strains in France, Spain and Italy, and this reflects where the infections were seeded from. I haven't seen the alignment of the new Chinese virus genome with other strains, so don't know where they are suggesting it might have come from, but they appear to be suggesting it's not the same as the original strain from Wuhan. Whether this is due to drift within the country or importation from somewhere else isn't really possible to determine from the information that has been released. 

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Did they, isn’t it law they have to be reviewed every 3 weeks?

The time frame is in a statutory instrument which can just be changed by the minister as and when without need for Parliament approval immediately. 

The coronavirus legislation is reviewed every 6 months but that mostly doesn't cover the social distance/business closure requirements.

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think they just need to make out that it's a foreign disease now - from some of the less than mainstream sources I've read it sounds like they're slowly trying to manipulate their population to believe it's an "American virus" and that any more cases are of foreign origin