When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

I'm pretty sure that blocking one person will not create an echo chamber, will it!?! 

Slippery slope... end up with numerous people blocked etc haha

There's plenty that have annoyed me on here but its good to hear all views, even the stupid or anal ones. Helps keep perspective 😄 

Nah, this thread's been a shitshow for weeks now. Loads of sniping, trolling, dumb arguing.

People are getting to the end of their tether with the whole situation as the end seems to be in sight but also frustratingly out of reach, and users who get their jollies poking others really don't help that atmosphere.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Nah, this thread's been a shitshow for weeks now. Loads of sniping, trolling, dumb arguing.

People are getting to the end of their tether with the whole situation as the end seems to be in sight but also frustratingly out of reach, and users who get their jollies poking others really don't help that atmosphere.

You are right it has been. For a long while this thread was great to post in especially through the first half of the pandemic. I think it’s as you say it’s kind of where we are in the pandemic but the majority of people on here are lovely and want to help provide information for others.

I think as society gets opened up more it’ll die down as people go out and start to be able to do more things though. 

Edited by Ozanne

7 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Exactly this. I just said to someone the lifting of restrictions seems so close yet so far away - still. Weekends are also so samey right now - they feel like one extra-long evening and not restful. The boredom leads to sniping.

I’m hoping with Easter next week (when you can see people, albeit outdoors) and then 12th April coming along, the next one - when the fun and exciting stuff is due to reopen - won’t feel so far away.

37 minutes ago, Havors said:

Without knowing the details... why would you want to block people? Do you want to live in an echo chamber with no dissenting voices? 

There's dissenting voices, and then there's being an odious prick. I've blocked my first poster today after being here 17 years.

12 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Exactly this. I just said to someone the lifting of restrictions seems so close yet so far away - still. Weekends are also so samey right now - they feel like one extra-long evening and not restful. The boredom leads to sniping.

I said this a while back to one of my friends, but I'm actually enjoying the working week a bit more than weekends because at least then I speak to other people, go into the office for one day and feel like this whole situation isn't going on so much.

At weekends, I can't go out and do anything, can't go to football and even watching it has got boring with no crowds etc so there's a contstant reminder about it all.

34 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

You are right it has been. For a long while this thread was great to post in especially through the first half of the pandemic. I think it’s as you say it’s kind of where we are in the pandemic but the majority of people on here are lovely and want to help provide information for others.

I think as society gets opened up more it’ll die down as people go out and start to be able to do more things though. 

I also think there's been a broad consensus on stuff before (because this forum is mostly lefty types) - even if there were disagreements over the extent of how far or how long certain measures should go, there was a shared belief they were needed.

I think we're seeing more division around the whole vaccine nationalism thing, hell, I don't even agree with myself on it - in large part because it doesn't easily split on left/right lines. 

im pretty sure quite a lot of people have the same Troll on ignore ... if everyone did the same hopefully he will get bored and do one .... with the general feeling in the thread of late people have become more of a representation of how society has gone of late and people are starting to think more about themselves than the group mentality .... as we are all at different stages of being jabbed and our families the same ... some are nervous and want things to ease slowly because of past failings too ... others might have been hit harder mentally by restrictions and want to regain the old lives as soon as possible ... we are all at different stages .... and the forum is a representation of that ..... what we need to remember is the value of respect and understanding to peoples positions and support that was a great feature of this thread early on ..... we can still do that , its nearing and end and monday is the start of normal starting to return hopefully that will help those that are struggling with the lockdown restrictions and isnt it great that the kids are back in schools now with minimal uptick in cases .... We are getting there folks 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, mazola said:

There's dissenting voices, and then there's being an odious prick. I've blocked my first poster today after being here 17 years.

You cant ridicule such people then though... and they never learn. 😄 Just my view on it. 

Also, im sure if someone was being truly odious prick they should be getting a ban... 

But you are very entitled to block them, sometimes you just cant be arsed listening/reading what they say ha

• Upvote 1

Thoughts like this (albeit for 2022 rather than 2021 😔) are why we all fell in love with the festival and found ourselves on a forum dedicated to it so we mustn't lose sight of that in amongst all of the craziness of the past year.

On 11/9/2020 at 8:21 PM, JoeyT said:

I can’t get the following thought out of my head and it’s making the old bottom lip wobble:

Wednesday evening at the 2021 festival, the sun has been out all day but temperature not stifling, perfect drinking weather.

There’s already been tears at Mik Artistik, he’d mocked the crowd for being soft, thrown a few straws around and even he got choked up himself during Sweet Leaf of the North.

The sun begins to set, the lights around the site start to come on and everyone is the right side of drunk.

There’s a slight nip in the air but you’ve convinced yourself that you don’t need to add an extra layer yet because you “won’t feel the benefit”

Then you hear a muffled noise in the distance which gets gradually closer. That cheer spreads across the site. You know the one.

Your home. We’re all home. And you know the fun has only just begun. 

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Interesting

Yeah this feels about right to me.

Masks are not compulsory in any setting in the UK, never have been and I doubt they ever will. I think face covering mandates will be gone at some point in the second half of 2021.

However a sizeable portion of people may choose to continue wearing masks and other types of face coverings. 

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think he is right the legal requirement will go - probably over the summer - but I really do not buy people will keep wearing them much afterwards. 

If we think back to May when face coverings were advised but not mandated in shops and on public transport, I believe uptake was a significant minority of overall customers. In most areas somewhere between 1-in-10 and 1-in-4 people chose to follow the government advice and cover their face.

I’d imagine uptake will be similar to this when the mandate goes later this year. Perhaps even less given that those previous figures were at a time when the pandemic was still widely feared in the UK and that probably won’t be the case come the second half of 2021 

1 minute ago, EasyUserName said:
  3 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

... You would of thought the Germans knew all about being humble to history...

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

WW2?

I am sorry but I still do not understand the reference.  I think I need it explaining a little more (sorry for not understanding).  What does a war of 80 (ish) years ago have to do with a contractural issue by a seperate political grouping (that happens to include Germany) and a private company? 

32 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Yeah this feels about right to me.

Masks are not compulsory in any setting in the UK, never have been and I doubt they ever will. I think face covering mandates will be gone at some point in the second half of 2021.

However a sizeable portion of people may choose to continue wearing masks and other types of face coverings. 

I'd hope, but don't expect, that people might put one on if going onto a packed tube/train etc when ill like they do in Japan. Would be considerate but I doubt it'll happen