When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Barry Fish said:

I would rather 1 person gets saved here rather than 60 million in another country as absolute principle.  British Tax payers money should FIRST be spent on the British people.

We have done lots of work on funding vaccines for the poorer nations and creating a vaccine not for profit for the developing nations (well Oxford did).

Based on your first paragraph, is the second one just something you are angry about? 😄

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Why should they publish ?  Its not in either the UKs or AZs commercial interest to do so.

Remember what you said earlier about AZ not wanting to piss off a huge multinational trading group like the EU? That's why.

They're taking an absolute beating over this, if the contracts clearly demonstrate that they have to fulfill to the UK first, they can just say that and publish them.

That they're not means it must be more complicated than that. Like I said, the EU are getting more Pfizer than we are and we're not kicking up a fuss because it's all been done entirely transparently and so no-one has an issue with it.

Look, it might still be that the UK are totally in the right and the EU are totally in the wrong, but given that we don't know that as we've not seen the details, and given that AZ are massively underdelivering on what they led the EU to believe they could deliver - regardless of what's in the wording of the contract - it's totally reasonable for the EU to be asking very strongly worded questions. And to be considering more radical approaches when they don't get answers to them.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

move mouse over person's name, click Ignore User.

Unless you're thinking of ignoring me, then I don't know.

If it were going to be you, your last sentence has kept you in the game... 

I'm on my phone, so that doeant work. Cheers anyway

Edited by Billy Corgan's Ego

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You don't think more people will die in Germany if they let people run riot at Easter ?
You don't think there is a recent example in the UK to warn them off doing it ?

You know exactly what you were referencing by using those phrases to describe the situation. 

Don't be dense.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

UK - Christmas 2020 - warnings from history...

You would of thought the Germans knew all about being humble to history...

More planes about to fall out of the sky sadly...

The planes thing is a frigging terrible analogy.

A plane falling out the sky is likely to kill all passengers and crew on board, some of them children and almost all of them in reasonably good health.

If the same plane landed safely but contained a covid superspreader who somehow infected all 200 people on board, you might see 1-2 deaths. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Those contracts won't be released.  Talking so openly about your terms and conditions / prices / delivery schedules could have knock on effects with other vaccine suppliers and other nations.

If you have any business brain about you  - you should know this.  Its never going to happen.   

EU only released a heavily redacted version.  The EU won't even show their own MPs the full contract.

Here is the unredacted AZ/EU contract.

https://www.rai.it/dl/doc/2021/02/19/1613725900577_AZ_FIRMATO_REPORT.pdf

39 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

If you'd rather see one person here saved over one person from a different nation then I can understand that. If you'd rather see two people saved here than one person elsewhere I start to get uncomfortable. If you'd rather see one person saved here than one hundred elsewhere then you probably are awful.

And we're going to get that point. We might already be there if you actually account for the global south rather than see this as UK vs EU. Once we are at 21st June and still have people to vaccinate, yet our government has declared that it's safe enough to remove any restrictions on what we can and can't do, and re-open everything, you have to question how much value is in continuing to vaccinate people.

Agreed.  A couple of months ago when we still had loads of unvaccinated people at risk and very high daily death numbers, the idea of a borderless policy, where we sent vaccines to the most at need place seemed appealing at the abstract - not to mention impractical if we were talking about literally shipping unstable Pfizer vaccines to Portugal.

Now we have the vast majority of our vulnerable vaccinated and daily deaths have plummeted to the point of no longer having any excess deaths, the idea of sharing our vaccines supply becomes much more morally compelling. Especially when it's not charity - those EU countries also paid for these vaccines.

24 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

How do you block someone? This thread, which has been my go to source throughout pandemic, has become intolerable of late.

Sadly, when people quote them you still see those posts. It’s quite something that they are still going on about planes falling out of the sky and snowflakes like a broken shit record.

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Its a reference to hundreds dieing every day while the EU continues to get vaccines terrible wrong.  I wasn't the first person to use it here.  Far from it.  Its said a lot.

Yeah, and I’m not having a go at you specifically, I’m having a go at this widely used analogy in general. 

Plane crash fatalities are indiscriminate. In fact perhaps they actively discriminate against those healthy enough to be travelling. Covid is quite the opposite. 

45 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

If you'd rather see one person here saved over one person from a different nation then I can understand that. If you'd rather see two people saved here than one person elsewhere I start to get uncomfortable. If you'd rather see one person saved here than one hundred elsewhere then you probably are awful.

And we're going to get that point. We might already be there if you actually account for the global south rather than see this as UK vs EU. Once we are at 21st June and still have people to vaccinate, yet our government has declared that it's safe enough to remove any restrictions on what we can and can't do, and re-open everything, you have to question how much value is in continuing to vaccinate people.

I would rather see as many people saved as possible but constrained by the fact that I want society reopened in the UK as soon as possible. In order for that reopening to fly with the scientists, it’s going to require high level of vaccinations across all age groups.

I’d happily give up the vaccines of everyone outside groups 1-9 to other countries if the scientists were satisfied that we could reopen after vaccinating all over 50’s and those with medical problems. What I’m not satisfied with is giving up vaccines to protect people in other countries but at the expense of a longer domestic lockdown. 

1 hour ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

How do you block someone? This thread, which has been my go to source throughout pandemic, has become intolerable of late.

Without knowing the details... why would you want to block people? Do you want to live in an echo chamber with no dissenting voices? 

This PMQs has been absolutely disgusting. 

Boris is doing his worst tactics, calling labour out for being at stop the bill protests. 
Then the speaker saying an absolute bias statement to get the house in order. 

Fuck this whole farcical shit