When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, BobWillis said:

Sir Patrick Vallance escapes a lot of criticism.

Some of us haven’t forgotten him saying that if we lock down too early we’ll be damaging the economy “while not a lot is happening” and it was better to lock down once we were already starting on the upwards curve towards exponential growth. 
Those ideas cost many, many lives. 

the only countries which locked down early were the countries which had learnt lessons from SARS because they'd been directly impacted by it.

Even the likes of NZ didn't act any sooner than the UK - but the difference was it was less-globally connected.

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the only countries which locked down early were the countries which had learnt lessons from SARS because they'd been directly impacted by it.

Even the likes of NZ didn't act any sooner than the UK - but the difference was it was less-globally connected.

Yep - next time there is an outbreak of anything, I’m sure we’ll see global lockdowns to nip it in the bud early. Because the world now knows it is better to be safe than sorry with this type of thing. 

starmer fucked up badly here, he should have said "haulage" and not "foods".

Cos it's not possible to instantly swap non-food goods to containers, and not allowing non-food goods would be a disaster for UK trade.

Starmer repeated that he wanted to see hotel quarantine measures applied to every international arrival, with exemptions only for people supplying medicines or food.

He said:

We’re calling for quarantine for everybody who arrives in the UK from any country.

There will have to be exceptions for medicines and foods - there always is - but for everybody else that is not within those exceptions, a full quarantine.

1 hour ago, grumpyhack said:

As a now happily retired adult ed tutor I wince at the daily Covid updates from Boris and his mates.  When I used to train people to be teachers I did a session on how to do a decent PowerPoint presentation.  Rule one was that the graphics had to be simple and easy to follow to allow people to absorb the information.  Rule two was that you had a mouse or a clicker that allowed you to advance to the next slide.

The slides and graphics on the pandemics are dreadful, not at all clear or easy to follow.  And I want to scream every time Whitty says "Next slide please".  Can't someone give him a clicker?

They should have got Dave Gorman in as a PP advisor from the start.

Edited by SheffJeff
PP

15 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Pleased to say that another high for Scottish vaccine figures announced today. 45,085 jags done yesterday.

Picking up at last! Hallelujah 

hopefully a pre-cursor to what we can expect elsewhere in the UK today as well!

16 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

Was that the Oxford one? I had Pfizer and just had a slightly sore arm where I was injected. Some have slept for 13 hours as the side effect (that’s the side effect I was hoping for!). 

Sorry for delay. Working nights. Nope it was the pfizer one. Seem to be giving us 10 week gap. Got my next one end of march. Think we are all having Pfizer cos of the storage. Hospitals can manage it easier is my guess. And also as others have already said- any not used at end of day dont get wasted. Theres always someone around who can make use of it.

46 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Figures in approval ratings of party leaders, past and present:

Starmer’s losing the dressing room. Would not surprise me if there was a leadership challenge soon and not even from the left.

Edited by mattiloy

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Hotel manager on BBC news asking whether those in hotel quarantine are allowed to have phone calls...

Why on earth wouldn’t they be allowed? 

You really do despair sometimes.

Australia is a continent, not an island and you can catch covid through the phonelines.  

Edited by xxialac

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Hotel manager on BBC news asking whether those in hotel quarantine are allowed to have phone calls...

Why on earth wouldn’t they be allowed? 

Seriously? I know it's sounds like prison but that's a strange question for sure 😁

2 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Seriously? I know it's sounds like prison but that's a strange question for sure 😁

The idea is to prevent people bringing the virus into our communities, it’s not a punishment and it’s definitely not a prison. Anyone suggesting these people shouldn’t be allowed phone calls is out of their minds.