When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

This is where the difference between the adults and the children in the scientific community is showing up. SAGE are saying things like this while independent sage morons like Gabriel Scally want us locked down in perpetuity. 

What, the difference is one is saying what you want to hear?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

doh...

unless vaccination is mandatory there's no reason to keep a central list of names.

They can keep track of the total numbers via the difference between vaccine invitations and vaccinations.

And if someone refuses now, they will be able to get a jab later (if they want one) via their doc.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

What, the difference is one is saying what you want to hear?

Independent SAGE is for the scientists who aren’t good enough to be on the actual SAGE, and are desperate to keep their names in the paper. Certain members of the scientific community are absolutely dreading the end of the pandemic because they lose their relevance. Scally and Devi Sridhar are two such examples. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Independent SAGE is for the scientists who aren’t good enough to be on the actual SAGE, and are desperate to keep their names in the paper. Certain members of the scientific community are absolutely dreading the end of the pandemic because they lose their relevance. Scally and Devi Sridhar are two such examples. 

For a so called centrist you don't half talk some daily fail bullshit sometimes. Sridhar isn't on independent sage...but she was talking about zero covid last year whilst rishi was running round having his pic taken serving food in restaurants cause it's all fine. As for the rest of them, maybe if govt had followed their advice we wouldn't be in such a fuckin mess.

9 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I've never even heard of Gabriel Scally, so he's not done a great job of keeping himself relevant.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

He's just some professor, and the President of Epidemiology & Public Health section at the Royal Society of Medicine, so what the fuck does he know.

Sounds to me like he's just angling for a spot on 'I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here'

17 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

You used to lay into Whitty as 'Dr Doom' when he used to warn about the need for tighter restrictions back in October 

32 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

unless vaccination is mandatory there's no reason to keep a central list of names.

They can keep track of the total numbers via the difference between vaccine invitations and vaccinations.

And if someone refuses now, they will be able to get a jab later (if they want one) via their doc.

Also, government doesnt neeed to know names. NHS records will show if they have or haven't - and as @eFestivals says, if they decide they want one later their GP can see they haven't yet had one and book an appointment for them

On 1/24/2021 at 11:18 AM, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Not knocking their response in the slightest either, but there is a bit of a myth about how they reacted. They didn’t close their borders until two weeks after their first case, but the belief is they acted instantly. It goes to show how little of the virus they actually had in the first place compared to Europe as an example. 

I mean, relatively speaking 2 weeks before shutting the border *is* basically instant compared to 10+ months to introduce airport checks in the UK. 

Has there been any further update on these new variations in circulation around the country?

Following Hancock's statement on Tuesday I then listened to the Bristol Mayor's briefing yesterday and within it someone from PHE said that (the variant in Bristol at least) is neither more dangerous nor more transmissible.

There has been no further government update on the Bristol area which you think there would be if it was extremely serious so i'm genuinely confused as to why it was highlighted?

For all Skiing and Mountain-Lovers:

The Tyrolean Dorothee von Laer of the Medical University of Innsbruck sees the Corona Situation in Tyrol with "grave concern".

• The South African variant of the virus known as N501Y appeared in Tyrol a few weeks ago.
  • The mutation was probably brought to Austria by a group of Tyrolean hotel owners who flew to South Africa for a golf trip during the last lockdown.
  • Von Laer now sees the spread of the South African variant as “anything but a local outbreak.”
  • By now, there is a “Tyrolean subtype” of the virus variant, which shows that the spread is already advanced.
  • The virologist advices everyone in the federal state to “reduce traveling” and calls on the authorities to offer mass testing and intensive contact tracing.
  • Currently, 10-15% of all newly found Tyrolean cases are due to either the UK variant B.1.1.7 or the South African variant N501Y.
  • The variant does probably not cause a more severe disease, but “you are not necessarily protected if you have gone through [a coronavirus] infection [before],” explained von Laer.
  • Von Laer also suggested postponing the opening of shops and services in Tyrol by at least a week from February 8 to reduce the spread of the variant at least somewhat.

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

Has there been any further update on these new variations in circulation around the country?

Following Hancock's statement on Tuesday I then listened to the Bristol Mayor's briefing yesterday and within it someone from PHE said that (the variant in Bristol at least) is neither more dangerous nor more transmissible.

There has been no further government update on the Bristol area which you think there would be if it was extremely serious so i'm genuinely confused as to why it was highlighted?

From what I saw there hadn’t even been any mass door to door testing for Bristol like there had been in the other areas ...