When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Anyone know if the Pfizer one has the same 100% protection from hospitalisation ten days after the first jab like the AZ one? Or is it 90% after 21 days?

my dad just had the Pfizer one but I’ve only really been keeping track of the AZ one 

27 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Has there been any further update on these new variations in circulation around the country?

Following Hancock's statement on Tuesday I then listened to the Bristol Mayor's briefing yesterday and within it someone from PHE said that (the variant in Bristol at least) is neither more dangerous nor more transmissible.

There has been no further government update on the Bristol area which you think there would be if it was extremely serious so i'm genuinely confused as to why it was highlighted?

have you seen what area of Bristol it's been found in?

I thought its weird that they've been postcode specific about ones found just a day earlier yet I've not seen anything like that for Bristol.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I thought its weird that they've been postcode specific about ones found just a day earlier yet I've not seen anything like that for Bristol.

there was nothing specific .... perhaps it was all over and they didnt have enough tests for it to be done city wide .... unlike the other areas where they could do specific targeted postcode testing ....

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Apparently it's not a "tight cluster" and is spread across different parts of the city but they didn't say where.

This link explains a bit more but seemingly comes to the conclusion that it's unlikely at the moment at least that anything is going to change.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/covid-variant-e484k-mutation-found-4963468

15 hours ago, PM87 said:

I honestly can't stand the thought of this being true. I know it's going to be a slow road to recovery but I am struggling with the thought of social distancing for a couple of years. My industry (theatre), and others, will be decimated if that's the case. Not to mention the mental health implications of this for the entire country. I'm not sure people will comply, especially once the vaccine is rolled out further. 

I think when people say "social distancing will be around in some for or another" they don't me you won't be able to see your mates. Or indeed do the vast majority of things you used to do. I think it'll just be general advice to keep your number of close contacts down. Yes, hug your mates, definitely. But no, maybe don't shake hands with 19 other people at a meeting or conference. Yes, you can be closer than 2m from people in a shop, but don't "squeeze past" or get right in people's space.

Put more simply: try not to touch people you don't know. This could have an impact on standing gigs, festivals and nightclubs for sure. And on public transport that often gets really busy - though that should be offset hugely by people working from home more.

11 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I bet he's going to show them the evidence and point out it doesn't stack up and everyone will find out how clever little Rishi is.

Prick.

I disagree with his conclusions, but he sort of has a point about the justification for lockdown changing. We probably are no longer in danger of the NHS being overwhelmed once the vulnerable are vaccinated. But the suggestion is we will remain cautious after that, but Johnson hasn't really explained why. There seem to be two drivers:

1) Young people do still get seriously ill and die from it - enough to cause some stress on, if not overwhelm, the NHS, if they all go out and catch it at the same time. And when it's just young, healthy people dying from it, people are suddenly going to become a lot more afraid. It's easy right now because it's all old people with underlying conditions, so we can look at it and go "if I get it, I'll probably be fine". But if the death numbers are right down, just 30 or 40 a day, but they're all young healthy people, that's a lot more scary. (And to be really crass, there's a strong argument that someone in their 30s dying is a greater loss than someone in their 80s - more years of potential future life have been lost).

2) The virus being allowed to spread uncontrolled around the younger population is the ideal conditions for those nasty, vaccine-resistant variants to emerge from.

Then there's the exacerbating factor that if we were struggling with vaccine supply, and it'd be another 9 months to vaccinate everyone, we'd maybe accept these as necessary risks. But it's not. We might be able to get everyone a first jab in a couple of months. 

I can actually see Johnson only relaxing rules a little bit until everyone is jabbed, if supply is solid and we can keep ramping up through March/April. Then he gets to have his moment sometime in June/July: "every adult has been offered at least one dose of the vaccine, and I declare Britain open for business" and basically drops all the restrictions. There's something to that, also, in properly kickstarting the economy creating excitement and massive demand, in a way you just simply won't get if it's "some things can open now, but if you've not been vaccinated you're not that safe still".

32 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Anyone know if the Pfizer one has the same 100% protection from hospitalisation ten days after the first jab like the AZ one? Or is it 90% after 21 days?

my dad just had the Pfizer one but I’ve only really been keeping track of the AZ one 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/03/one-pfizerbiontech-jab-gives-90-immunity-from-covid-after-21-days

Just now, steviewevie said:

blimey, all going on...good news on your parents...is your sister in law potentially vulnerable to it?

she's early 40s so should fingers crossed be ok ....  my brother had it a few weeks back but timeline doesnt fit with him transmitting it ... maybe one of the kids has had it asymptomatically and passed it on ....  despite the lower cases its very much closer to home now ... a couple of work colleagues who i thought were on the mend have slipped back too .... bloody nightmare 

The health secretary, Matt Hancock, will lay out the “operational plan” for hotel quarantines next week, Nadhim Zahawi has confirmed.

The vaccines minister told ITV’s Good Morning Britain:

Next week the secretary of state for health will be setting out the operational elements of this policy. We will absolutely be setting out how the quarantine hotels will work next week.

Asked whether he had been frustrated by the delay in implementing the tighter border restrictions, Zahawi replied:

No, because it is one part of a greater piece. [There is] the passenger locator form - you will be refused by the airlines to get on a flight if you haven’t filled in a passenger locator form - so we know exactly where you are, so we can check where you are and that you are quarantined, and you get fined - and I make no apology for the 40,000 fines that we’ve issued already.

But, as I say, it is one part, and next week you will have the operational plan for how we are implementing the hotel quarantine.

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

The health secretary, Matt Hancock, will lay out the “operational plan” for hotel quarantines next week, Nadhim Zahawi has confirmed.

Next week the secretary of state for health will be setting out the operational elements of this policy. We will absolutely be setting out how the quarantine hotels will work next week.

Asked whether he had been frustrated by the delay in implementing the tighter border restrictions, Zahawi replied:

No, because it is one part of a greater piece. [There is] the passenger locator form - you will be refused by the airlines to get on a flight if you haven’t filled in a passenger locator form - so we know exactly where you are, so we can check where you are and that you are quarantined, and you get fined - and I make no apology for the 40,000 fines that we’ve issued already.

But, as I say, it is one part, and next week you will have the operational plan for how we are implementing the hotel quarantine.

so thats 40,000 people that have broken quarunteen that they know of ..... shows how this doesnt work ... I wonder what the true number is ...... shows the need for it .....  

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Having set out the plan to have a plan, which we told the press about over 3 weeks ago and then announced in the commons, we will now move swiftly the phase of announcing a plan as to how we plan to move the plan forward. Er, next week.

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Having set out the plan to have a plan, which we told the press about over 3 weeks ago and then announced in the commons, we will now move swiftly the phase of announcing a plan as to how we plan to move the plan forward. Er, next week.

The plan is to have a plan that's too late for the plan.

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

[There is] the passenger locator form - you will be refused by the airlines to get on a flight if you haven’t filled in a passenger locator form - so we know exactly where you are, so we can check where you are and that you are quarantined, and you get fined

What a load of fakery. The borders have been an absolute sieve.

I've never been asked to show my passenger locator form by the airlines, never had the passenger form checked on arrival. Even if I was I could have written any old thing as the checks that did take place were a one second glance at a small phone. And people supposedly in quarantine are not being followed up, never had a call.