When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Having set out the plan to have a plan, which we told the press about over 3 weeks ago and then announced in the commons, we will now move swiftly the phase of announcing a plan as to how we plan to move the plan forward. Er, next week.

They must be hoping something comes up that means they don't have to do it, probably Sunak behind that too as it likely means financial help for the airline industry, maybe he wants to wait til something else is open to balance out the cost?

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, st dan said:

Ahhh Hancock the scapegoat getting wheeled out to deliver bad news again? Not sure why it should be on him to lay out the quarantine plans?

I thought that. Should be Patel or at least Schapps. 

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Is the selective pressure different if the population is partially or fully vaccinated? Surely vaccination in general places selective pressure towards vaccine resistant strains, perhaps magnified in populations with lower levels of immunity. 

If that is the case how do we determine when enough of the population have been vaccinated to prevent this? It’s making my head spin!

5 minutes ago, st dan said:

Ahhh Hancock the scapegoat getting wheeled out to deliver bad news again? Not sure why it should be on him to lay out the quarantine plans?

I was reading in The New Statesman the other week that Hancock loves the limelight of doing the press conferences - apparently one of the reasons they haven't really gone ahead with the Downing St press officer taking them as planned a few months ago.

12 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

so thats 40,000 people that have broken quarunteen that they know of

don't think it's that, it's probably to total of covid laws fines, for parties at home, and that sort of thing.

I haven't seen any newspaper reports of fines issued to non-quarantining travellers. I guess there'll be some, but if it was 40,000 there'd be much more about it.

As a now happily retired adult ed tutor I wince at the daily Covid updates from Boris and his mates.  When I used to train people to be teachers I did a session on how to do a decent PowerPoint presentation.  Rule one was that the graphics had to be simple and easy to follow to allow people to absorb the information.  Rule two was that you had a mouse or a clicker that allowed you to advance to the next slide.

The slides and graphics on the pandemics are dreadful, not at all clear or easy to follow.  And I want to scream every time Whitty says "Next slide please".  Can't someone give him a clicker?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

don't think it's that, it's probably to total of covid laws fines, for parties at home, and that sort of thing.

I haven't seen any newspaper reports of fines issued to non-quarantining travellers. I guess there'll be some, but if it was 40,000 there'd be much more about it.

I'd say 4 is much closer to the true figure of fines for non-quarantining travellers than 40,000.

Just now, xxialac said:

I'd say 4 is much closer to the true figure of fines for non-quarantining travellers than 40,000.

yeah. 

I'm just pointing out that Zahawi probably wasn't (outright) lying when he said 40,000, but disingenuously suggested that the total number of covid fines are fines for not quarantining.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yeah. 

I'm just pointing out that Zahawi probably wasn't (outright) lying when he said 40,000, but disingenuously suggested that the total number of covid fines are fines for not quarantining.

Yeah, was obfuscation for sure.

The very few checks that were done were overwhelmingly an incoming phone call where some bloke would say 'are you at home'. If you said yes, that proved you were quarantining.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

incoming phone call where some bloke would say 'are you at home'. If you said yes, that proved you were quarantining.

😂 Wouldn't surprise me.

I'd answer yes am home, not sure where am parked up, but am home. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

I was reading in The New Statesman the other week that Hancock loves the limelight of doing the press conferences - apparently one of the reasons they haven't really gone ahead with the Downing St press officer taking them as planned a few months ago.

Is it some weird humiliation kink he's got? 

39 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

And I want to scream every time Whitty says "Next slide please".  Can't someone give him a clicker?

They plan to publish a plan to get Whitty a clicker for talking through the data behind the plans.

The clicker will be in place as soon as the pandemic is under control and the clicker, which cost 1000x the commercial rate from a newly established clicker company set up by a Tory's dog walker, will be almost completely useless. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I don't understand this logic. In a crisis, who do you turn to?:

-The experts in their field, who are occasionally mistaken.

-Or the people who don't have a clue?

It’s a smokescreen, criticise the scientists so that the Ministers can escape blame. 

• Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

there's no doubt scientists made some mistakes in those early days...

Sir Patrick Vallance escapes a lot of criticism.

Some of us haven’t forgotten him saying that if we lock down too early we’ll be damaging the economy “while not a lot is happening” and it was better to lock down once we were already starting on the upwards curve towards exponential growth. 
Those ideas cost many, many lives.