When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

27 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

you going to take a vaccine if offered?

Do you really need to ask?!

Actually I won't have to decide for a month or 2 yet so I'll see how things are then, as you can tell from my other posts I'm not particularly afraid of catching Covid and in fact I could well have had it early last year as I had some symptoms then but they soon passed. (and I'd just returned from Spain). I'm pretty sceptical of the new mRna vaccines since they're so new, might prefer the new Valneva vaccine if it gets approved, at least that's known technology.

6 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Pretty much a replay of last year with a gradual return to normality during 2022. Masks and social distancing with us in some form for a couple of years. International travel normality in 3-4 years.

I honestly can't stand the thought of this being true. I know it's going to be a slow road to recovery but I am struggling with the thought of social distancing for a couple of years. My industry (theatre), and others, will be decimated if that's the case. Not to mention the mental health implications of this for the entire country. I'm not sure people will comply, especially once the vaccine is rolled out further. 

Edited by PM87

1 minute ago, PM87 said:

I honestly can't stand the thought of this being true. I know it's going to be a slow road to recovery but I am struggling with the thought of social distancing for a couple of years. My industry (theatre) will be decimated if that's the case. Not to mention the mental health implications of this for the entire country. I'm not sure people will comply, especially once the vaccine is rolled out further. 

I'd be surprised if there is social distancing August onwards myself, for a less doom and gloom perspective. With international travel from Nov

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Pretty much a replay of last year with a gradual return to normality during 2022. Masks and social distancing with us in some form for a couple of years. International travel normality in 3-4 years.

Looooool based on what?

Gradual return starting mid March. Relatively normal summer, large scale events by Winter 2021.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Do you really need to ask?!

Actually I won't have to decide for a month or 2 yet so I'll see how things are then, as you can tell from my other posts I'm not particularly afraid of catching Covid and in fact I could well have had it early last year as I had some symptoms then but they soon passed. (and I'd just returned from Spain). I'm pretty sceptical of the new mRna vaccines since they're so new, might prefer the new Valneva vaccine if it gets approved, at least that's known technology.

I'm fascinated by this. What is it about the RNA type vaccines that makes you feel that getting the vaccine could harm your health more than getting covid?

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

I'd be surprised if there is social distancing August onwards myself, for a less doom and gloom perspective. With international travel from Nov

I could see that with maybe masks at indoor public areas. I wouldn't be surprised if something came back next winter to gently limit gatherings of people.

6 minutes ago, PM87 said:

I honestly can't stand the thought of this being true. I know it's going to be a slow road to recovery but I am struggling with the thought of social distancing for a couple of years. My industry (theatre), and others, will be decimated if that's the case. Not to mention the mental health implications of this for the entire country. I'm not sure people will comply, especially once the vaccine is rolled out further. 

dont panic too much ... things are going to slowly get better ... baby steps but things will improve .... hang in there 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Smeble said:

based on what? there will be normality from summer onwards, but with rules and restrictions which have to be defined and will depend on the vaccine-rollout 

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Yeah. I know Sir Patrick Vallance said some measures may be needed still in the winter. I assumed perhaps reinforcing the use of masks and maybe in worst case scenarios limiting numbers for gatherings. But I don't really understand why that would be if we've vaccinated the vulnerable. Is it because they will need to vaccinate everyone again? I kinda hoped by the end of the year things would look very different and that considering all approved vaccines seem to prevent hospitalisation and death, we'd be ok. I've been invited to 2 weddings in November. Wonder if they'll go ahead......

Edited by PM87

1 minute ago, PM87 said:

Yeah. I know Sir Patrick Vallance said some measures may be needed still in the winter. I assumed perhaps reinforcing the use of masks and maybe in worst case scenarios limiting numbers for gatherings. But I don't really understand why that would be if we're vaccinated the vulnerable. Is it because the will need to vaccinate everyone again? I kinda hoped by the end of the year things would look very different and that considering all approved vaccines seem to prevent hospitalisation and death, we'd be ok. I've been invited to 2 weddings in November. Wonder if they'll go ahead......

Things will look very different by next winter. When have I ever been wrong with predictions.... 😂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quark said:

When I say time limited I'm thinking more in terms of the powers / framework for provision of any medical data to be time limited.  So like the govt's restrictions are agreed for a period of 3 months or whatever it is, then they have to go back before parliament.

If private companies are going to be looking for a mechanism by which they can require me to share my medical data in order to obtain services, I'd want that mechanism to be time limited.

So taking the example of gig tickets, as that's where this started I think.  I would be looking for some kind of legal or legislative approach that says they are allowed to what is essentially discriminate (best word I can think of) who they provide their service to on the basis of whether or not someone's had a vaccine until a fixed date - let's say 31st Dec 2021 for argument's sake. At that point they would legally no longer be able to discriminate on that basis unless the approach is legally extended.

Basically I don't want companies to be able to have that framework there indefinitely.

I agree, I think it's important to be cautious if we're going down this route, and make sure we have something fair in place that isn't open to abuse or discrimination. Maybe implement something like having all scientists heralded as gods, who live alongside the vaccinated within luxurious, enclosed mega-cities, comprised mainly of pubs, festivals and indoor concerts, in which certain thoughts and feelings are determined 'illegal' and controlled with the use of virtual reality and drugs. Outside the city walls, the unvaccinated live in run down, socially distanced, shanty towns and are hunted like dogs in a televised event, to reduce 'viral reservoirs'. When not being hunted, they each have collars with proximity sensors on which explode if they get within 2 meters of another person.

One day, having been made a scapegoat by the government, an imprisoned Ben Richards has the opportunity to make it back to the inside again by being a contestant on the deadly show, although the twisted host, Damon Killian, has no intention of letting him escape.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I'm fascinated by this. What is it about the RNA type vaccines that makes you feel that getting the vaccine could harm your health more than getting covid?

Feel's the right word, there's nothing concrete I can point to it's just the feeling things have been rushed through, there are no long term trials so we don't know what effects there will be, they have also not tested them for reactions with existing medication and although there are no reasons to think there will be problems until the data comes in nothing is certain. My chances of getting Covid at the moment are virtually zero  so I've plenty of time to make a judgement once things start to change later in the year.

15 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Possibly suicidal before enough of the rest of the world is vaccinated. But I agree they'll try it. Got a feeling the consequences of that could mean this isn't the last lockdown though...

3 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I agree, I think it's important to be cautious if we're going down this route, and make sure we have something fair in place that isn't open to abuse or discrimination. Maybe implement something like having all scientists heralded as gods, who live alongside the vaccinated within luxurious, enclosed mega-cities, comprised mainly of pubs, festivals and indoor concerts, in which certain thoughts and feelings are determined 'illegal' and controlled with the use of virtual reality and drugs. Outside the city walls, the unvaccinated live in run down, socially distanced, shanty towns and are hunted like dogs in a televised event, to reduce 'viral reservoirs'. When not being hunted, they each have collars with proximity sensors on which explode if they get within 2 meters of another person.

One day, having been made a scapegoat by the government, an imprisoned Ben Richards has the opportunity to make it back to the inside again by being a contestant on the deadly show, although the twisted host, Damon Killian, has no intention of letting him escape.

No more late night tv for you. Bed at 9.30  and no sugar after 7.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps a trivial question.....but for any single people out there, how have you approached 2020 with regards to that? A few of my friends have kept on with dating apps, more so when things were better over the summer and early autumn, but I've always been a bit of a luddite when it comes to tinder and all that.

I can't wrap my brain around dating again but also, if we're moving into our new normal and we have to get used to Covid floating around for the foreseeable in one respect or another, I'm going to have to take the leap sooner or later I guess (post full lockdown obviously though).

Sorry for the random topic change but this has been playing on my mind today lol 

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Anyone gonna clap for the Captain?!

I timed my evening run in the hope that I'd be applauded through the streets, but ballsed it up and was in the middle of nowhere at 6pm.

But no. I have immense respect for what he did, and perhaps more importantly his attitude to life. Its incredibly sad that he died of the thing he helped raise so much money to help fight.

But I will not have my applause weaponised by Johnson's government as something to be wheeled out as they see appropriate. He deserves better than that.

Edited by Quark
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’m getting the vaccine on Friday (I have a health condition that I had no idea meant I was on the priority list!) but my GP rang me today telling me to come in.

Am I this thread’s guinea pig or have any of you been vaccinated yet? 

I think @grumpyhack has had his already?

I know a lot of people's parents and grandparents have had theirs over on the Good News thread. Both of my in laws and my dad have had theirs, nothing major to report. MIL felt a bit grotty for a day or two.