When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Its pretty much in line with last time (halving every 14 days or so). Hopefully though will have a faster reduction when more rhe vaccine impact feeds into it

Fair enough, I guess it's more that I am surprised that that many workplaces are open still to be leading to 19k cases a day. 

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I've been posting a weekly change on Monday's but I've added a weekly change and change percentage, what do you think?

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 17.05.30.png

Looks good I had missed that on Monday! Think the weekly change is just important to keep track of rather than the day-to-day fluctuations.

Just now, hodgey123 said:

Looks good I had missed that on Monday! Think the weekly change is just important to keep track of rather than the day-to-day fluctuations.

Yeah definitely, I agree! Glad you like it, happy to take on any further suggestions too especially as the daily table will get more and more busy.

10 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

On the cases, although the number is going down is anyone still concerned that we are reporting 19,000 cases a day still? This is the fifth week of lockdown now, so these are not cases that are now just showing 10-14 days after the initial infection. We all know that some businesses are still open this time that weren't before and that likely is driving transmission, as well as hospitals, but surely not to the tune of 19,000 cases a day (compared to much lower case rates in June and July)?

They are testing nearly 10x more than in summer so they would be bound to find more even if there were fewer cases now.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

That was actually something I was going to ask (not you specifically, you field enough bloody questions 😄 )

I've not been to countries where shots have been an issue, but I was going to ask whether the shots you need to get are advisory or required. And if they're required, is the sharing of that information with the respective government agencies rather than airlines or similar?

I’ve only had to do it in some countries in SE Asia, they check the cert at passport control. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I hope in this briefing Johnson gives praise to Chris Whitty after that video from yesterday of him being verbally abused came out.

The bloke who recorded the video looked like he survives solely on a diet of monster munch and billy bear ham. 

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I hope in this briefing Johnson gives praise to Chris Whitty after that video from yesterday of him being verbally abused came out.

I would have thought everyone in the public eye gets abused from time to time, but in general our society worships fame so he'll be alright.

Far more upsides than down of being well known and I'm sure he will have lots of people coming up to him with kind words for years to come.

Just now, xxialac said:

I would have thought everyone in the public eye gets abused from time to time, but in general our society worships fame so he'll be alright.

Far more upsides than down of being well known and I'm sure he will have lots of people coming up to him with kind words for years to come.

True but it's just a nice thing to do isn't it.

Besides being a nice thing to do it's an opportunity for him to make a clear statement on what is and isn't acceptable, both in at the moment and in general.

Although given the opportunities he's missed to do that so far I wouldn't hold my breath.

1 hour ago, gizmoman said:

Why? If the vaccine works you are protected, only the unvaccinated are at risk, why do you as a passenger need everyone else to be jabbed?

You're protected *to an extent*. And given we're seeing evidence that the vaccine also does prevent transmission... you're likely still an order of magnitude safer on a plane where everyone is vaccinated than where half the people are vaccinated - even if you're one of the vaccinated ones.. Of course, the risk might be negligible in both cases anyway

27 minutes ago, Quark said:

If we go full 30 years into the future dystopia approach, I don't want something put in place to control C19 still being used by companies, and airlines refusing to fly people because they have been required to share their medical history and are shown to be HIV positive, and the airline feels that is a risk. Or I personally can't fly unless I agree to share my full medical history as a condition of purchase, and they are legally allowed to do that.

That's a shit example plucked from the air (pun not intended) but it illustrates how such a framework could become the norm, then become embedded, and ultimately become misused.

It won't take 30 years by the look of it, it's taken less than a year to get people to the point where they are not just accepting of this but actually wanting it. This for a virus that is relatively mild, worse than flu but not as deadly as many other diseases. (i'm not trying to minimise the effect it's had just being realistic). A short term restriction of liberty is all very well, but these things tend to stay once introduced.

2 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

This for a virus that is relatively mild

Mild ?! how many people do you need to die for it to become not mild ? 110,000 not enough ? and this is with all the measures that we have all taken .... I presume you haven't had it on that basis ?

• Upvote 1