When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

Definitely know of some people a lot younger than 60 with health conditions starting to get appointments and vaccines.

the tiers don't seem to be as rigid as you'd think (makes sense to have some flexibility) - they don't seem to be doing 100% of one group then moving on to the next, instead there's been some back and forth and overlap and different regions have been working at very different paces. 

Yep....I've got a team member who is under 50 but vulnerable so in Group 6.  Lives in Bristol....called and jabbed last week. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

actually....

Norway:
Non-EU Norway will get access to some of the vaccines obtained by the European Union thanks to Sweden, an EU member that will buy more than it needs and sell them to Norway, right after New Year.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-norway-vaccine/norway-to-use-three-vaccines-to-stop-covid-19-from-early-2021-idUKKBN28E1AU?edition-redirect=uk

Switzerland:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-swiss-astrazeneca-idUSKBN2A32GV

so neither are going to be vaccinating their oldies with them anyway.

lol

1 hour ago, st dan said:

Denmark and Norway now added to the list of countries to not recommend the Oxford/AZ vaccine for the over 65’s ... its all feeling a bit like the Eurovision voting now. 

This is definitely putting niggles of doubt into some people's minds right now. This morning at the vaccine centre another woman said she wasn't sure about taking the Ox/AZ when she was completing her consent form. This is the 3rd person I've personally witnessed querying it this week. This particular lady did end up having the vaccine after speaking to the Doctor who was managing today but I have to say, I'm pretty pissed. I support people asking questions and querying things that they have read before being vaccinated, but (perhaps unfairly, i'm not sure), I'm getting increasingly angry that due to a lack of data, other countries have decided to forgo using Ox/Az for the very age group that we are currently vaccinating (EDIT: Not angry at the countries, they need to do what they deem right for their populations). How on earth did Oxford allow this to happen? I know they've given reasons for fewer over 65s being involved in the studies but surely they must have foreseen that some countries might not accept this, and that could lead to potential PR issues. I've read a few articles now with MPs and scientists having to say 'our vaccine does work and is safe etc etc.' It's just so frustrating that the data doesn't speak for itself.

I assume in a few weeks time more data will be released to support what is very likely true, that the vaccine is perfectly fine for the over 65s, and perhaps the countries who are not using it for that age group now, may well authorise it. But it's frustrating that some people in the UK are worried they're being treated with a sub standard vaccine.

Edited by PM87

5 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Yep....I've got a team member who is under 50 but vulnerable so in Group 6.  Lives in Bristol....called and jabbed last week. 

tries a booking link 🙂 .(not working 😞 ) ... good to know ..... hopefully  im going to be soon then .... @squirrelarmy the race is on .... so looks like 5 and 6 have been grouped together 

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

no, I guess they'll be using other vaccines for older people, same as other european countries not approving AZ for over 65s. But they may have used them for over 65s if the trial data was there.

They might of, *IF* their deliveries were earlier than the deliveries they'll get from other manufacturers. 😛 

It might not be to suck up to the EU and might be to just dodge queries from the public because the EU has been undermining it, but they've ruled out something that wasn't able to happen anyway.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

let's hope deaths from covid never get above 1000 again.

Yes. Let's hope. it's awful that I was beginning to 'get used to' deaths in the 1000s. Can't wait for the weeks to go by and the numbers to continue decreasing. 

22 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

How much of this is just other Countries following France/Germany’s lead?

There’s an element of it, but it’s not the regulators that are altering the approval, rather the immunisation committees (same way JCVI decided to change the gap between doses, which I think was correct for OX/AZ (could probably be 9 weeks rather than 12) and I’m in two minds on the extended gap on Pfizer, probably fine and gets more people protected, it’s balancing two different risks). Here they have said as soon as they get new data they won’t preferentially use one vaccine over another (and they will still use OX/AZ if they have no other option). Clear, unambiguous data just makes taking these types of decisions a whole lot easier, which unfortunately remains outstanding for the OX/AZ jab (fwiw, it think it will be fine)...

2 minutes ago, mcshed said:

He's apparently written "hundreds of pages" last year but still it won't be ready until next year at the very earliest. I'm not sure how many people care anymore.

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2021/02/02/reflections-on-a-bad-year/

The people who were fans before the HBO series definitely want to know how it ends. Those who joined the hype train when the TV series came out stopped caring once the derailment happened. 

The book series has so many more options for how the story is going to end. 

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The people who were fans before the HBO series definitely want to know how it ends. Those who joined the hype train when the TV series came out stopped caring once the derailment happened. 

The book series has so many more options for how the story is going to end. 

I don't know I read the books and will read the new ones when they arrive but I'd be lying if I said I was excited about the prospect. When the wait is too long it's hard to remain invested, see also Patrick Rothfuss.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I honestly reckon between the already painfully slow rollout, and the fact that they’re both bothering to use the Oxford/AZ in the most vulnerable cohorts, I reckon death rates will stay high across Europe in the coming months whereas they’ll plummet in the UK. 

To be honest, it’s not that we aren’t bothering to use OX/AZ, we currently don’t have any of it! When it does arrive, between now and the end of March, we get 3 times as many Pfizer doses, so while OX/AZ was pencilled in as the backbone of many vaccination programmes, we’ve had to pivot and adapt to changing circumstances. 96% of doses that have arrived in Ireland are already in arms, and we’re still on course to be completely finished by September (so long as there aren’t massive supply issues) with the most vulnerable still done on time by mid-Feb and the over 50s finished before summer. Once supply firms up in Q2, expect swift progress elsewhere (all of Europe is currently working with more logistically challenging vaccines at the mo)...

29 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I honestly reckon between the already painfully slow rollout, and the fact that they’re both bothering to use the Oxford/AZ in the most vulnerable cohorts, I reckon death rates will stay high across Europe in the coming months whereas they’ll plummet in the UK. 

apart from Portugal are they that high in Europe at moment?

They will possibly have to keep lockdown restrictions for longer than UK...unless warmer weather helps them.