When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

At least we aren't in America Asked if he considered wearing a mask while with these 90+-year-old veterans today, Trump says no because he was "far away" from them and "plus the wind was blowing so hard and such a direction that if the plague ever reached them, I'd be very surprised."

Trump says of the elderly veterans he was with today without wearing a mask: "They're so pure, it will never happen, alright? They've lived a great life."

https://www.mccormick.northwestern.edu/news/articles/2020/05/vitamin-d-levels-appear-to-play-role-in-covid-19-mortality-rates.html

More evidence of the role of vitamin D in this.

original paper,

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.08.20058578v3

“Cytokine storm can severely damage lungs and lead to acute respiratory distress syndrome and death in patients,” Daneshkhah said. “This is what seems to kill a majority of COVID-19 patients, not the destruction of the lungs by the virus itself. It is the complications from the misdirected fire from the immune system.”

This is exactly where Backman believes vitamin D plays a major role. Not only does vitamin D enhance our innate immune systems, it also prevents our immune systems from becoming dangerously overactive. This means that having healthy levels of vitamin D could protect patients against severe complications, including death, from COVID-19.

“Our analysis shows that it might be as high as cutting the mortality rate in half,” Backman said. “It will not prevent a patient from contracting the virus, but it may reduce complications and prevent death in those who are infected.”

Backman said this correlation might help explain the many mysteries surrounding COVID-19, such as why children are less likely to die. Children do not yet have a fully developed acquired immune system, which is the immune system’s second line of defense and more likely to overreact.

“Children primarily rely on their innate immune system,” Backman said. “This may explain why their mortality rate is lower.”

Backman is careful to note that people should not take excessive doses of vitamin D, which might come with negative side effects. He said the subject needs much more research to know how vitamin D could be used most effectively to protect against COVID-19 complications.

“It is hard to say which dose is most beneficial for COVID-19,” Backman said. “However, it is clear that vitamin D deficiency is harmful, and it can be easily addressed with appropriate supplementation. This might be another key to helping protect vulnerable populations, such as African-American and elderly patients, who have a prevalence of vitamin D deficiency.

Backman is the director of Northwestern's Center for Physical Genomics and Engineering 

14 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The last thing that should happen in this awful nightmare is political opportunism. We should be acting as the United Kingdom, it’s far too serious an issue  to have different regions going their own way. Discuss and consult but have a common policy. 

Thats the problem isnt it- Scotland, NI and Wales have this government and their shoddy policies rather imposed on them. 

There's no such thing as the United Kingdom, just what's left of the English empire. 

4 hours ago, Ozanne said:

If anyone's interested this is about the town I live in. It mainly has an older population so as stated in the article they are kind of bucking the trend.

I’m not far along the coast from you where there is an over whelming older population. In my opinion the trend has been bucked here due to the isolation of where I live, not many people coming in & out due to the beaches being closed & campsites shut. There’s two roads in & out.

I hate to sound like that person, but the worst people for social isolating here are the foreign workers. Fair enough, a lot of them live in social housing together for summer work on the fields/fruit picking but when out doing my exercise they are not distancing themselves from vulnerable people.

I had someone run up to me & ask for a light earlier.

Edited by Bisque

All my neighbours stopped social distancing about 3 weeks ago. Next door neighbour's have had family around every day and grand kids staying over, kids all playing in the street together, neighbours to my side had a two day BBQ party from morning until early hours. Told my next door neighbour to be really careful as he's had two heart attacks and his wife had her spleen removed last year..  he just replied "nah were ok were not sick" 😡🤦‍♂️

I was expecting street gatherings etc here due to the older population of where I live & VE day but it’s been extremely quiet, just bunting outside of houses & a few bbqs in gardens.

I live in what is called a “Thankful Village” & there are a lot of retired career Royal Navy & RAF living here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thankful_Villages

Edited by Bisque

Chatting with someone I haven’t seen in a while, from a safe distance, apparently there was a huge spike in cases in Bridport in Dorset just after the lockdown began due to London second homers all descending on the area in the days before the lockdown began.🙄🙄 can’t blame them I suppose, I’d not want to get stuck in London during a lockdown if I didn’t have to. It does show what can happen with mass migration across the country. 

20 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

And this, in a nutshell, is why many of us are so keen to see Scotland leave the UK. Pathetic comments. 

All the way from Stockholm. None of your business really.

8 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Thats the problem isnt it- Scotland, NI and Wales have this government and their shoddy policies rather imposed on them. 

There's no such thing as the United Kingdom, just what's left of the English empire. 

The problem we have in Scotland is that we had a referendum, thankfully in my opinion we decided to stay part of the UK, 55-45, but the losers refused to accept defeat.  Every election they win the majority of seats because the anti independence vote is split. The first past the post system, as we see all over the country , is seriously flawed . In my local council seat around 350 votes went to the seperatists, just over 900 votes went to other unionist parties. If anything is imposed on us then it’s the nationalist agenda. The current crisis needs to be tackled nationwide, a national strategy, though it’s correct that certain local issues could be addressed differently. The last thing we need is to see political opportunism in this fight against this horrible virus. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Smeble said:

Chatting with someone I haven’t seen in a while, from a safe distance, apparently there was a huge spike in cases in Bridport in Dorset just after the lockdown began due to London second homers all descending on the area in the days before the lockdown began.🙄🙄 can’t blame them I suppose, I’d not want to get stuck in London during a lockdown if I didn’t have to. It does show what can happen with mass migration across the country. 

Can vouch. Family are from Dorset. Care homes were hit really hard there. One of my friends from home who had COVID-19 pretty bad (23 year old girl who ended up in hospital from it) caught through work at a small care home that had 12 cases and 8 deaths in the end.

What freaked me out a couple of weeks ago was how it was getting to these remote areas of the country.

17 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I actually don’t think being locked down in London has been that bad. Being able to walk to the shops and back helps.

That’s interesting, I live in a semi rural location and have the freedom of countryside walks, climb hills etc and actually sometimes meet no one else walking. I’ve always thought how awful it must be for those who live in cities trying to cope with their exercise regimes, shopping etc. Of course physical exercise is to be encouraged  to keep the body healthy but mental health is also so important. Getting out and about benefits both. 

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

That’s interesting, I live in a semi rural location and have the freedom of countryside walks, climb hills etc and actually sometimes meet no one else walking. I’ve always thought how awful it must be for those who live in cities trying to cope with their exercise regimes, shopping etc. Of course physical exercise is to be encouraged  to keep the body healthy but mental health is also so important. Getting out and about benefits both. 

I’m fortunate enough to live in a house share in east London with a garden and Victoria Park not too far away. There are also canals nearby and parks which are designed for cycling and jogging. When I want quick access to nature it’s pretty easy. If you’re in a horrible small flat I can imagine it sucks. What I have enjoyed is long distance walks into the deserted city. Sightseeing is really spooky right now. The weirdest was St. Paul’s deserted on Easter Sunday.