When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

11 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

How will it actually work in practice...say you get an alert and you self isolate.  Then on day 1 or 2 of being back out again you get another alert...its not going to be realistic for people to keep on self isolating again and again is it if they have no symptoms and have to work, etc

Surely if you get an alert then you would self isolate and get a test  ? 

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, need a very compliant population, something S Korea has...but not sure we do...

I guess the data shows we were fairly compliant with lockdown ... more than expected ... but might be different if everyone else is out and about ... 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

I guess the data shows we were fairly compliant with lockdown ... more than expected ... but might be different if everyone else is out and about ... 

Was on a conference call with one of our government advisors yesterday (on the public health side), we were planning quarantine for incoming international students, anyway, he said they have a new test, will be replacing the existing one over the summer and will mean isolation will reduce to 7 days, they are evaluating another one that picks up virus 24hours after infection, before you become infectious, rapid turnaround (45 mins) so in theory, self-isolation could reduce to a day if that one works. Neither are antibody tests, just more sophisticated PCR-based ones. If they can get testing sorted, then the process of get an alert, lie low for a day, get tested and if all clear carry on isn’t too bad considering...

edit: actually, with the 2nd one, you wouldn’t even need to isolate, you’d just have window you would need to be tested in.

Edited by Toilet Duck
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Was on a conference call with one of our government advisors yesterday (on the public health side), we were planning quarantine for incoming international students, anyway, he said they have a new test, will be replacing the existing one over the summer and will mean isolation will reduce to 7 days, they are evaluating another one that picks up virus 24hours after infection, before you become infectious, rapid turnaround (45 mins) so in theory, self-isolation could reduce to a day if that one works. Neither are antibody tests, just more sophisticated PCR-based ones. If they can get testing sorted, then the process of get an alert, lie low for a day, get tested and if all clear carry on isn’t too bad considering...

that would be incredible .... I dont think anyone could complain at that ... the testing is ridiculous still though ... my local test centre closed after 1 week and they are now miles away again ... i wonder if a care home took priority ?

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

that would be incredible .... I dont think anyone could complain at that ... the testing is ridiculous still though ... my local test centre closed after 1 week and they are now miles away again ... i wonder if a care home took priority ?

Yeah, when capacity was stretched, testing was targeted. Many of the bottlenecks are solved now, getting permission to run tests outside of accredited Med Labs is the main issue now. There’s lots of people working on inventive solutions though, sooner or later one will work! 

Just now, Toilet Duck said:

Yeah, when capacity was stretched, testing was targeted. Many of the bottlenecks are solved now, getting permission to run tests outside of accredited Med Labs is the main issue now. There’s lots of people working on inventive solutions though, sooner or later one will work! 

lets hope we get one soon .... 100mile round trips aren't reasonable  and a 60,000 population isn't exactly small !! 

27 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

edit: actually, with the 2nd one, you wouldn’t even need to isolate, you’d just have window you would need to be tested in.

the global demand for these sort of tests would be massive.

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

the global demand for these sort of tests would be massive.

It will, but it’s not like making vaccine, a lot easier to make at scale. A shortage of one reagent held up everything with the current test (guanidine isothiocyanate if you’re interested, the oddest thing to run out of). Pre-made buffers ran out too, but they were easily made (my own lab made enough for about 100,000 tests in a day). The one that works before you become infectious would be a real game-changer if coupled to workable contact tracing.. 

40 minutes ago, gordong said:

Excuse my complete ignorance here, but what would stop trolls mass self reporting coronavirus on this app? Is there any verification on it?

Theres an element of the NHS conforming it with a positive test I believe.

43 minutes ago, gordong said:

Excuse my complete ignorance here, but what would stop trolls mass self reporting coronavirus on this app? Is there any verification on it?

As it stands, nothing...not just trolls, your common or garden hypochondriac will as well. There is a plan to verify, but it’s entirely dependent on testing capacity. Other non-centralised approaches being used elsewhere require a positive test result before the user can push notifications through the app to the Bluetooth IDs stored on the phone. Seems a bit more sensible to me, but what do I know? 

Scotland has said another 3 weeks at least.. Can't see Boris not going along with it unless the Welsh and Irish do something own there own.... So basically we WERE ALL IN IT TOGETHER until we're getting out of it lol

6 hours ago, funkychick2007 said:

What! Not sure why they are banning the hand sanitiser cause it contains alcohol thts absurd! Its quite a minimal amount they would have to go some drinking it  for it to be harmful’

I must have missed the email about it being banned, but I did confiscate them if I saw it being used (I gave it back to them at the end of the day) but most kids had wisened but & brought in a couple of bottles so fair play to them. I’m not a strict teacher so they knew I was just following the rules & without saying it, rules are rules but you know... some are a bit silly especially at this time.

Some even went & sought non-alcoholic versions which I didn’t know existed.

16 minutes ago, Bisque said:

I must have missed the email about it being banned, but I did confiscate them if I saw it being used (I gave it back to them at the end of the day) but most kids had wisened but & brought in a couple of bottles so fair play to them. I’m not a strict teacher so they knew I was just following the rules & without saying it, rules are rules but you know... some are a bit silly especially at this time.

Some even went & sought non-alcoholic versions which I didn’t know existed.

It's a bloody stupid rule. Those non alcoholic sanitisers might kill bacteria but will leave the killer virus alone.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's a bloody stupid rule. Those non alcoholic sanitisers might kill bacteria but will leave the killer virus alone.

I wouldn’t know. I couldn’t turn a blind eye to it & I didn’t know where the rule came from.

When I worked in hospitality before becoming a teacher all of our chefs never washed their hands in the toilets as the soap provided to customers wasn’t anti-bac. Don’t worry they had their own electronic anti-bac dispenser in the kitchen which I then preceded to immediately use after I found this out. In fact I doubled up in case a member saw me.

9 minutes ago, Bisque said:

I wouldn’t know. I couldn’t turn a blind eye to it & I didn’t know where the rule came from.

When I worked in hospitality before becoming a teacher all of our chefs never washed their hands in the toilets as the soap provided to customers wasn’t anti-bac. Don’t worry they had their own electronic anti-bac dispenser in the kitchen which I then preceded to immediately use after I found this out. In fact I doubled up in case a member saw me.

Can you appeal to the head? Not allowing hand sanitizer is a dangerous rule.