When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show it was the right time to "update and broaden" the message to the public from "stay at home" to "stay alert".

"Stay alert will mean stay alert by staying home as much as possible, but stay alert when you do go out by maintaining social distancing, washing your hands, respecting others in the workplace and the other settings that you'll go to."

Isn't this what we are doing already?!

The problem the government are facing amongst a lot of people is credibility.  I consider myself very level-headed and trusted we were doing the right things early on. This trust and god will has dwindled, and while I can acknowledge certain things are tough (it’s a new virus, PPE is in limited supply across the world etc) there are areas where i feel they should have done better (care homes, testing etc.) which they fail to acknowledge.  This means anything they do is meet with skepticism, and while some of the measures look really promising (was quite buoyed yesterday by the announcement for long overdue investment in adapting our roads for cycling), part of me now feels all is not what it seems.

This does not condone people doing what they want, and i suspect they would have just done what they wanted anyways and use these type of things to justify their actions (similar as those too lazy to vote jump on the “well you can’t trust any of them anyway” bandwagon).  I see these people as a minority, but suspect we will see more of the general population starting to veer off the government instruction if as we suspect lockdown is extended for another three weeks with only a slight ease of measures.

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

"Stay alert, control the virus" makes it sound like Covid-19's going to sneak up on you in a dark alley, and you've got to wrestle it to the ground.

Right? HM's Gov really trying too hard with the war comparisons

My mate just sent me this. I reckon he's hit the nail on the head:

This is straight out of Thick Of It.
Basically the big televised announcement today was designed to create some positive news for the government and to try to hide the fact our death toll is horrendous. Unfortunately, when they realised they couldn’t ease the restrictions because shit loads of people would die, they’re now fucked!
So they’re trying to scrabble around to put something meaningful together.

58 minutes ago, Neil said:

It's about shifting the blame to the public.

If you get the virus it's not because govt policy is flawed, it's because you haven't been alert enough. ;)

Me, I'm staying alert, alert enough to know to swerve the Cummings/vote leave/Cambridge Analitica  we-can-misuse-your-data-forever "NHS" app.

Plus the fact it isn’t really useful for how many people use their phones whilst out. It needs to be running and the phone needs to be unlocked. Hilariously bad planning. 

Mail are reporting that Hancock and Johnson have had a bust up and - shock horror - Hancock is going under the bus first.

The Mail: Mr Hancock said to the Prime Minister, in what has been described as a ‘petulant’ tone

Sounds like Hancock needs to watch his tone!

23 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

@eFestivals @Neil  Don't know if this is the best place to put it but the ads at the moment stop the site being accessed by mobile devices. 

thanks - I'll report it and get it stopped. Unfortunately it'll probably be tomorrow before it's dealt with.

31 minutes ago, Neil said:

thanks - I'll report it and get it stopped. Unfortunately it'll probably be tomorrow before it's dealt with.

Thank you Neil! Not complaining about the ads just complaining about the ones that totally prevent the use of the site :) 

Anyone getting nervous about the prospects for Glasto 2021 going ahead? 

With the numbers of covid positives and deaths still stubbornly high the prospect of large gatherings being allowed seems very distant  😣 

52 minutes ago, Homer said:

Mail are reporting that Hancock and Johnson have had a bust up and - shock horror - Hancock is going under the bus first.

The Mail: Mr Hancock said to the Prime Minister, in what has been described as a ‘petulant’ tone

Sounds like Hancock needs to watch his tone!

What did he say to the PM?

12 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

I

Any rational and sensitive person would not agree with your opinions. The UK will not be returning to any sense of normality until perhaps next year; social distancing is going to be around for a very very long time. 

That's not so surprising, I wasn't in a particularly rational or sensitive mood last night when I posted, had spent the whole day in the garden drinking cider and so may have somewhat "overstated my position"!  I do think there's a case for a change in emphasis, it's clear the situation in care homes is bad and more action is needed there, Boris will, I'm sure, tread fairly carefully with the slackening of restrictions in general with a wait and see approach to further measures, the hungover rational me actually agrees with this. Sorry if I pissed a few off last night, shouldn't post under the influence!

14 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

What did he say to the PM?

I've just been on the Daily Mail website so you guys don't have to (basically I'm a bit like Jesus - taking one for the team)

Pressure intensified on Mr Hancock over his handling of the crisis last night after more than 25 million goggles were found to offer frontline NHS workers inadequate defence against the deadly virus.

The latest in a string of embarrassing Government failures over Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) came as senior sources suggested to The Mail on Sunday that Mr Hancock was now living ‘on borrowed time’ in the Cabinet.

According to the British Standards Institute, 9.7million out of the 25million Tiger Eye goggles which were bought for the NHS will now need to be withdrawn

The 25.6 million pairs of Tiger Eye goggles bought for the NHS are not fit for purpose, according to the British Standards Institute: 15.9 million of them have already been distributed, with hospitals now being told to withdraw the remaining 9.7 million from use.

Edited by Homer

1 minute ago, gizmoman said:

That's not so surprising, I wasn't in a particularly rational or sensitive mood last night when I posted, had spent the whole day in the garden drinking cider and so may have somewhat "overstated my position"!  I do think there's a case for a change in emphasis, it's clear the situation in care homes is bad and more action is needed there, Boris will, I'm sure, tread fairly carefully with the slackening of restrictions in general with a wait and see approach to further measures, the hungover rational me actually agrees with this. Sorry if I pissed a few off last night, shouldn't post under the influence!

Don't worry about it, we all have our moments. Hope the head isn't too bad today 😉

1 minute ago, Homer said:

I've just been on the Daily Mail website so you guys don't have to (basically I'm a bit like Jesus - taking one for the team)

Pressure intensified on Mr Hancock over his handling of the crisis last night after more than 25 million goggles were found to offer frontline NHS workers inadequate defence against the deadly virus.

The latest in a string of embarrassing Government failures over Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) came as senior sources suggested to The Mail on Sunday that Mr Hancock was now living ‘on borrowed time’ in the Cabinet.

As a result of these struggles, the Health Secretary is believed to be 'on borrowed time' with ministers furious about these equipment errors

According to the British Standards Institute, 9.7million out of the 25million Tiger Eye goggles which were bought for the NHS will now need to be withdrawn

The 25.6 million pairs of Tiger Eye goggles bought for the NHS are not fit for purpose, according to the British Standards Institute: 15.9 million of them have already been distributed, with hospitals now being told to withdraw the remaining 9.7 million from use.

What a shit show, how can we get into this position.

25 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Anyone getting nervous about the prospects for Glasto 2021 going ahead? 

With the numbers of covid positives and deaths still stubbornly high the prospect of large gatherings being allowed seems very distant  😣 

Not just Glastonbury.  Currently consigned to the fact that concerts of any kind will not happen until there’s a vaccine. Given how things have unfolded, I have no optimism of any kind that we will have a vaccine next year

Come on guys, Glastonbury 2021 will definitely happen. There will probably be a vaccine by then and even if not enough of the population will have had it to mean larger events can go ahead with the necessary precautions being taken place. We are a year out from the preparations being started, more than enough time.

Just think 6 months ago we had just heard there would be a General Election, think of that could change in the next 6 months.

5 minutes ago, ShakeyCrash said:

Not just Glastonbury.  Currently consigned to the fact that concerts of any kind will not happen until there’s a vaccine. Given how things have unfolded, I have no optimism of any kind that we will have a vaccine next year

Don't forget it's a global thing and we're not reliant solely on this country. Which means there's a chance. This could be where the greed of American pharmaceutical companies actually works in our favour, they have a huge motivation to get a vaccine. That said, they also have a huge motivation to rush it through...

Doe anyone else read lockdown is over from that? It's fully on personal responsibility now, which we know quite large amounts of the population don't have

"Limit contact with other people" could be interpreted as "have a house party once a week" in the wrong hands. WE know it means necessary contact, to many people partying is necessary contact 

Edited by efcfanwirral

Quote from BBC Website daily papers round up. So they have had these 25m goggles for eleven years and no one thought to ensure they met standards until after distribution. I also note ordered in 2009 no mention of when they were delivered. 

The Mail says further pressure has been heaped on the health secretary after more than 25 million goggles bought for the NHS were found to be unfit for purpose - but his spokesman says they were ordered by Gordon Brown's Labour government in 2009. A source close to Mr Hancock says he has the "total support" of No 10.

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Doe anyone else read lockdown is over from that? It's fully on personal responsibility now, which we know quite large amounts of the population don't have

I honestly don't know what to read from that. The lockdown was extended on Thursday, so how can it be over? I really don't get it.

5 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

In which case they're probably already doing that. Those who are sensible are going to have to be given the chance to take responsibility  at some point. Those who are not never will be, regardless of anything boris says

That's true - though i have seen a lot of "well if they're doing it we might as well too" from people I thought sensible....