When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

@eFestivals @Neil  Don't know if this is the best place to put it but the ads at the moment stop the site being accessed by mobile devices. 

I know times are tough for a lot of us, but if you're financially secure it might be a good time to go gold, I've heard that the ad payouts have gone down during the crisis.

52 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Don't forget it's a global thing and we're not reliant solely on this country. Which means there's a chance. This could be where the greed of American pharmaceutical companies actually works in our favour, they have a huge motivation to get a vaccine. That said, they also have a huge motivation to rush it through...

Front runners in the race for a vaccine are the Jenner Institute at Oxford Uni in partnership with Astra-Zeneca (British/Swedish)...next in line is GSK (British) in partnership with Sanofi (French). Far from American Pharma leading the charge, British and European partnerships are leading the world on this! Both are building on work that has already taken years to get to this point, so while expedited compared to normal, they aren’t entirely rushing things. Ethical distribution has also been built into the partnerships from what I can see.

British scientists and research institutes are world class. One of the things that saddens me most about Brexit (sorry!) is the possibility of losing fantastically productive partnerships we have with British research groups as part of EU research programmes. Hopefully someone somewhere sees sense and buys into the programme like the Swiss, as I’d really like to keep working with British labs! 

• Upvote 6

52 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

honestly don't know what to read from that. The lockdown was extended on Thursday, so how can it be over? I really don't get it.

Sounds like the cabinet is split as to how to manage the lock down.  You can be sure that vested interests are lobbying to get the economy going irrespective of any possible risks to a second wave.  We were late in locking down, now we are considering isolating travellers a few months after other countries did this. 

5 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Front runners in the race for a vaccine are the Jenner Institute at Oxford Uni in partnership with Astra-Zeneca (British/Swedish)...next in line is GSK (British) in partnership with Sanofi (French). Far from American Pharma leading the charge, British and European partnerships are leading the world on this! Both are building on work that has already taken years to get to this point, so while expedited compared to normal, they aren’t entirely rushing things. Ethical distribution has also been built into the partnerships from what I can see.

British scientists and research institutes are world class. One of the things that saddens me most about Brexit (sorry!) is the possibility of losing fantastically productive partnerships we have with British research groups as part of EU research programmes. Hopefully someone somewhere sees sense and buys into the programme like the Swiss, as I’d really like to keep working with British labs! 

Ah interesting. Fingers crossed it's working well. Everyone's eyes will be on their results in June. 

29 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Interesting take on the govt performance

I mean, that bottom bit...isn't not just like that what's happening, that is exactly what's happening! They've been following the scientists since the Imperial Model forced them to, but still have the same old eejits doing everything else.

46 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Glad it's the scientists not the government doing it anyway! 

Hopefully this whole crisis will make them realise that international cooperation on health issues is a necessity and doesn't show political weakness...

2 hours ago, Lycra said:

Anyone getting nervous about the prospects for Glasto 2021 going ahead? 

With the numbers of covid positives and deaths still stubbornly high the prospect of large gatherings being allowed seems very distant  😣 

I think with how quickly we seem to be getting bored of lockdown as a nation, and the government being led by the public in terms of when we open up, I think Glastonbury will be allowed next year.

Whether it's safe I'm not sure but I can see the organisers making the right decision that even one death as a result of the festival is too many and not doing it, even if other similar events are on 

Obviously that's without a treatment or vaccine

Edited by efcfanwirral

8 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Yes, very.

Fortunately, I'm not often right about stuff and nearly all of my friends think I'm worrying too much....so there's hope!

If this Oxford, or one of the other front runner vaccines comes off, then we should be ok, but if we don't have one being deployed before next spring, then I think we might be in trouble.

51 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Glad it's the scientists not the government doing it anyway! 

Hopefully this whole crisis will make them realise that international cooperation on health issues is a necessity and doesn't show political weakness...

Yeah, I’d have total faith in the British scientific community, and even if elected officials don’t get the benefit of international collaboration at times, those on the ground certainly do. The permanent government are extremely competent as well, just get pulled in all sorts of directions by the temporary folk in front of the cameras. 

I'm very skeptical about the festival happening next year.

Let's not forget the build starts in April so a vaccine needs to be in place early next year in order for the roll out to have taken place by this point.