2021 Headliners

16 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

😂😂😂😂 brilliant!! Im out of upvotes but I love it 

You got me to the magic 400 mark earlier so all is forgiven!

Anyway 2021 headliners. I've missed a lot of the previous chat. Is it too early for The 1975 v Foals debate?

Edited by DareToDibble

32 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Never too early! Wacky Matty and Gacky Yanni will both make a fine pair of Other headliners in years to come.

Now, on to the real star everyone's been waiting for: Drake.

Drake would be huge but surely he would be after much to high of a fee?!

Hate to be one of those dickheads that says "THIS ISN'T A GLASTONBURY ACT BLAH BLAH"... But Drake?

I mean, I was a bit bewildered by Kendrick, and had zero intention of watching him (selfishly hoping that thing about his birthday strop is true 😂)... But DRAKE!? Would he really go down well as a Glastonbury headliner? Think he would be a big catch if he subbed, or got a slot similar to Miley. People would probably lap that up, but as a headliner, surely not??

Just now, K2SO said:

Hate to be one of those dickheads that says "THIS ISN'T A GLASTONBURY ACT BLAH BLAH"... But Drake?

I mean, I was a bit bewildered by Kendrick, and had zero intention of watching him (selfishly hoping that thing about his birthday strop is true 😂)... But DRAKE!? Would he really go down well as a Glastonbury headliner? Think he would be a big catch if he subbed, or got a slot similar to Miley. People would probably lap that up, but as a headliner, surely not??

Yeah nah you cant seriously be believing that arguably the biggest act in the world right now would only be a sub/third down unless your either really ignorant to what is popular or a lil racist...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, K2SO said:

He is one of the most streamed artists in the world. Miley couldn’t even dream of selling as many tickets, records, pulling as many numbers as Drake. He’s an actual behemoth in terms of popularity and size. If you’re talking mainstream appeal he is probably the most mainstream artist that Glastonbury could book. One of the most well known artists on the planet.

Saying Drake could sub is like saying Fleetwood Mac could sub. 

As @Mattymooz said I think you’re being a little ignorant to what is popular or you’re probably living under a rock a bit.

If drake approached the festival and said he’d be willing to do it for Glasto’s fee they would be running to do it. Drake has been the music that “the kids” have been listening to since 2010, and his career hasn’t dipped at all in about 10 years. For a culture and music industry where a lot of people are looking for the next best thing that’s an unreal feat. I can’t think of many artists out there who were probably massive with 16 year olds in 2010 and are still massive with 16 year olds in 2020. He’s managed to become a pop culture icon for a series of generations now.

In short - if he was booked he’d be the biggest artist on that lineup unless they managed to rope in a mega star like Led Zeppelin. Then again, probably most of the younger attendees of glasto would care about Drake than Zep. Get with the times bro!

26 minutes ago, K2SO said:

21 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

your either really ignorant to what is popular or a lil racist...

Also on this point as I’ve seen @Mattymooz is getting downvoted for this. While I don’t think this post was intended to be racist it can definitely come across that way. You’ve mentioned two of the largest artists in the hip hop scene right now and belittled their credentials to headline a major festival, which both have done way before being booked / being discussed to headline Glastonbury. With what is going on at the moment I think it’s important to highlight how white supremacy embeds itself within modern discourse, as I see a lot of commentary which unconsciously expresses this. It reads like you’re saying black art can achieve great things but can never be considered equal to white art on the world stage. Or that black art has to “do more” to be considered worthy.

Just food for thought.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Just FYI, was being facetious about Drake being the one everyone was waiting for.

As the biggest male act of the 2010s though, he would walk headlining if ever it happened.

1 minute ago, DareToDibble said:

Just in case this was in any doubt for anyone. If Drake plays, he headlines. Absolutely no way he would be anything else other than headliner, and probably draw a huge crowd too.

It’s so funny, people get critical acclaim and commercial success the wrong way round.

An artist can have critical acclaim, but that doesn’t always mean they are a headliner.

But an artist can have commercial success and not much critical acclaim but be an unequivocal headliner. Because at the end of the day it’s about numbers, not whether you think their music is trash or not. If they can easily fill that pyramid field they are a headliner.

Drake not exactly being a critical darling when it comes to hip hop music means jack shit. If he’s booked he will fill that field to the brim.

Just now, Ddiamondd said:

I know some don’t rate rap, and that’s fine. But I think there’s a way to present that argument that doesn’t patronise / ghettoise some of the biggest and most exciting stars on the planet.

Exactly. This is why I think the recent conversations generated by BLM are so important.

Very few people are overtly racist, in that they would walk down the street and screech racial slurs... however, in society all throughout there are ways in which attitudes have been generated to devalue black art and give white art “passes”. Most of this is unconscious so it is very important to bring attention to it

It’s so important to sit back and think without realising am I placing black art to a different standard than white art? How do I work to realise that the way in which I see the world may be warped by generations of perpetuated beliefs in media and culture.

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, K2SO said:

This smacks of I don’t like them so they shouldn’t headline. Although this shouldn’t be the sole barometer for judgement Drake now has more Spotify followers than Ed Sheeran, Kanye, Billy Eillish, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga.

He’s got more followers than Led Zep, the foos, the killers and Fleetwood Mac, COMBINED!

He’a about as big as it gets and whether you like him or not, saying he’s not a headliner and that he’s maybe a sub makes me think you could be the guy that approached Emily to say stereophonics should headline instead of Kendrick.

IMO Kendrick was a more groundbreaking and exciting booking, but I knew who Drake was without being a fan, way before I know who Kendrick was. Glastonbury booking Kendrick actually got me into him and a whole load of other artists I didn’t know about. But Drake transcends that, he’s absolutely massive and is a headliner anywhere.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I don’t want to come off all Noel Gallagher here, but I just don’t see him headlining Glastonbury, or at least not at this stage in his career.

Me neither. I was just sharing someone who currently is huge, way more than Migos. 

Edited by AlexOvd

Drake is unequivocally a headliner if he does the festival, i just don't think he ever will. Frankly I don't think he's worth the amount he'd be demanding. He's an act that I'm sure would have a big crowd at the festival if he did play, but equally I don't hear anyone clamouring for him to do it. If you polled all those with Glastonbury registrations on who they want to headline, I doubt Drake would enter the top 20 or even 30 to be honest.

Edit: to clarify here - I'm not saying they should only book headliners that those people want or else we'd clearly end up with RHCP every year and we wouldn't have had the likes of Jay-Z breaking down barriers, there's just a trade off between going all out and offering way above the usual price for someone who isn't particularly being clamoured for. Stones were worth it, Prince would have been worth it, not sure Drake would be.

If he accepts a standard headliner fee then sure, go for it. I just don't think he's entered their thinking when they're drafting up potential headliners.

Edited by jparx

8 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Yeah nah you cant seriously be believing that arguably the biggest act in the world right now would only be a sub/third down unless your either really ignorant to what is popular or a lil racist...

Not liking Drake doesn’t make someone a racist. Not cool to suggest that.

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, jparx said:

Drake is unequivocally a headliner if he does the festival, i just don't think he ever will. Frankly I don't think he's worth the amount he'd be demanding. He's an act that I'm sure would have a big crowd at the festival if he did play, but equally I don't hear anyone clamouring for him to do it. If you polled all those with Glastonbury registrations on who they want to headline, I doubt Drake would enter the top 20 or even 30 to be honest.

Edit: to clarify here - I'm not saying they should only book headliners that those people want or else we'd clearly end up with RHCP every year and we wouldn't have had the likes of Jay-Z breaking down barriers, there's just a trade off between going all out and offering way above the usual price for someone who isn't particularly being clamoured for. Stones were worth it, Prince would have been worth it, not sure Drake would be.

If he accepts a standard headliner fee then sure, go for it. I just don't think he's entered their thinking when they're drafting up potential headliners.

Yeah, all of this. Jay Z is a master of his art who's released a ton of critically acclaimed albums as well as continued chart success across his career. It was a big and ballsy booking for an act who deserved it. Same with Kanye. Drake ain't that - he'd be the most expensive 'cheap' booking they could make, with a setlist full of dreadful hollow songs like Tootsie Slide made for streaming numbers and nothing more. And I'm not saying all this 'cause I'm not a fan - I used to be a huge fan, until he rapidly slipped in to mediocrity.