2021 Headliners

I spoke about this with a friend the other day, and their words were “well hes a working class hero so I have to let it slide”.

This is why the festival can’t engage with cancel culture. Because who people want to cancel is incredibly selective and there’s probably a solid case to cancel pretty much any act going right now.

Our culture has been very shitty in the past and we should always acknowledge it. If we look for purity though we will never find it. This is an incredibly difficult and nuanced issue but what exactly are we supposed to do? Cancel the entire industry?

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

They said that about Lorde

Lorde didnt sustain anywhere close to what Billie has with buzz and such through a similar time period. The interesting thing is that they were being marketed the same way when they came up real fast. Had a buzzy soundcloud song, then a popular radio single. Both crowned the new ''goth queen' at the time. Lorde finished her debut album cycle in mid size venues while Billie is already at arenas which could be stadiums in certain cities. The record industry hit the jackpot with Billie and feel that she can almost do no wrong cause theyre not getting in her way. Lorde didnt have that appeal of somebody that kids of the same age could directly connect to, and they can with Billie. Sometimes mysterious isnt totally the way to go, and Billie has been really open and candid about things and the fans adore her and will ride or die with that.

Picking up on a few points from earlier - the idea that someone like Drake wouldn’t know about Glastonbury is utterly ludicrous. It’s the biggest festival in the industry and many of his contemporaries - Jay-Z, Beyoncé, Kanye, Pharrel, Kendrick (nearly) have played high profile sets in the last decade or so. There’s no chance he doesn’t know about the festival.

Eminem has been going for 20 years now. Can’t help but feel that if he was going to play he would have done by now. Can only assume there’s no desire on one or both sides to do it.

I’d imagine that the festival had already been talking to potentials for 21 before the pandemic hit and there may have been a few informal “Yeah we’ll do it” conversations, like the 1975 for instance.

The question for the Eavii will be if, say, only two of this year’s headliners return then which of next year’s three gets to stay on and which ones get bumped back? Can see the Healy lads being pushed back.

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’d imagine that the festival had already been talking to potentials for 21 before the pandemic hit and there may have been a few informal “Yeah we’ll do it” conversations, like the 1975 for instance.

The question for the Eavii will be if, say, only two of this year’s headliners return then which of next year’s three gets to stay on and which ones get bumped back? Can see the Healy lads being pushed back.

I think a lot of it will come down to how long those acts were planning on touring/what their schedules were looking like. The 1975 have just released their album not long ago, had a bunch of shows lined up, and have been touring almost constantly for what seems like five years now, whereas Arctic Monkeys for example haven't even released an album yet and still no sign of live shows, so imo, The 1975 would get priority so that they can still play whilst their album is relatively fresh, whereas AM could just push everything back a bit. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but that seems like the logical way to do it, but maybe The 1975's rescheduled 2020 shows will get in the way of them doing Glastonbury? I dunno.

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Emily mentioned 2 of the pencilled in headliners hadn't headlined/played the festival before (not too clear which she meant), so I feel like there's a good chance maybe one of those is a big act they've been after for a while. Yer Fleetwood's/Elton's etc. And that would be the act they'd want to book for 2021 in the situation your describe. Although it all depends on 2021 tours being pushed back to 2022, which I feel is very likely for most acts.

So many moving parts at the moment. I tend to think once all the plans settle over the next couple of months we will just end up with all three headliners returning, but it's very hard to call.

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

Emily mentioned 2 of the pencilled in headliners hadn't headlined/played the festival before (not too clear which she meant), so I feel like there's a good chance maybe one of those is a big act they've been after for a while. Yer Fleetwood's/Elton's etc. And that would be the act they'd want to book for 2021 in the situation your describe. Although it all depends on 2021 tours being pushed back to 2022, which I feel is very likely for most acts.

So many moving parts at the moment. I tend to think once all the plans settle over the next couple of months we will just end up with all three headliners returning, but it's very hard to call.

Michael mentioned Fleetwood Mac again in one of his interviews so it’s clear they’re still trying for them but what with Crowded House touring again next year that would be one that’s easy to push back (IF) they had them.  

Personally I always thought Gaga was one pencilled in for 2021 and if Taylor pulls out I think they’d go all out for her to fill that spot rather that The 1975/AM and the fact they’ve made a big deal of the female aspect of the lineup

2 minutes ago, sisco said:

Michael mentioned Fleetwood Mac again in one of his interviews so it’s clear they’re still trying for them but what with Crowded House touring again next year that would be one that’s easy to push back (IF) they had them.  

Personally I always thought Gaga was one pencilled in for 2021 and if Taylor pulls out I think they’d go all out for her to fill that spot rather that The 1975/AM and the fact they’ve made a big deal of the female aspect of the lineup

I think it's a given that we'll have at least one female headliner next year however it shakes out. It's partly why I feel very confident Billie has a very strong chance. 

I'd love Gaga as the number 1 replacement for Taylor, but those tour dates just make me feel a bit sceptical! 

39 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'd guess they'll talk it thru with the acts, and try to come up with something that works out for all of the acts involved.

I don't think the festival needs to be coy about the position they might be in with too-many-headliners, as everyone understands the situation.

20 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Mumford & Sons were booked in a special guest sub slot (we assume) this year - surely that indicates that they aren't gonna be booked to headline again more than anything?

I saw their name mentioned as special guests for this year, but didn't know they were (possibly) lined up to sub, interesting. 

Also, on the topic of Kanye, I'm not sure how it felt in the field but watching at home it felt and looked fucking brilliant for the most part. 

4 minutes ago, Zacko said:

I saw their name mentioned as special guests for this year, but didn't know they were (possibly) lined up to sub, interesting. 

Also, on the topic of Kanye, I'm not sure how it felt in the field but watching at home it felt and looked fucking brilliant for the most part. 

Probably fair to say it was mixed. I thought it was quite bad but I had the comparison point of seeing some incredible Kanye shows prior. The first 20 minutes went down really well, but it nosedived after that unfortunately. Some here loved it though.

10 hours ago, priest17 said:

What I've taken from this page is Nickelback charted higher than Lorde and the festival are looking for a new huge headliner that have no skeletons in their closet. Time to dig out my old copy of Silver Side Up I reckon.

Imagine an acoustic rendition of 'Rockstar' on the Pyramid with guest vocals from Chris Martin. The entire field crying tears of pure ecstasy before melting into one big puddle.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

Probably fair to say it was mixed. I thought it was quite bad but I had the comparison point of seeing some incredible Kanye shows prior. The first 20 minutes went down really well, but it nosedived after that unfortunately. Some here loved it though.

Totally Agree. watched it from home and that stronger to power start was amazing and was so invested then after that it was very up and down for me. The whole disappearing act onto the crane took too long that I just lost interest that It just became background noise from there.   

I wish I remembered more of the Kanye show but I was rather far gone by that point, although I do remember people from my group going to the toilets and me willingly going along around about the time he played I Wonder so something must not have been clicking as I don't think I've ever vacated my spot at a Glastonbury headline slot before or since.

Looking at the setlist though and it's so good - all the hits, plus some stuff he wouldn't usually do. Don't think I've watched it back since so gonna have to search for it.

25 minutes ago, Zacko said:

We don’t know for certain that they were going to sub but given that there was an empty space before Taylor it seems an obvious call.

So following Emily’s comments she said “maybe ONE” of the headliners lined up for 2021 had headlined before. I don’t think this means that the other two have never played the festival before. Just means that we were due one returning headliner. I guess for now we will say she could have meant Arctic Monkeys.

Taking that users post as good info - the 1975 were the other headliner they had in the pipeline. This makes sense as their omission from the 2020 lineup is pretty noticeable.

So who do you think was the third on the table? Probably one headliner that hasn’t done it before and likely to be someone quite different from the other two. I don’t think AM and 1975 would be weird to have in one year if the third headliner was something totally different. I don’t think it’s Fleetwood Mac as Crowded House we’re quick to reschedule their 2020 dates. If a Fleetwood Mac tour was in the pipeline they’d definitely be holding out.

So I think the third headliner in mind for 2021 has to fit this criteria

- Not a band

- Not headlined before (could have played the festival before but not headlined).

- something that would balance out AM and 1975 well.

What do you think? I have a name in mind but I’m going to let some people have a shot first.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

So following Emily’s comments she said “maybe ONE” of the headliners lined up for 2021 had headlined before. I don’t think this means that the other two have never played the festival before. Just means that we were due one returning headliner. I guess for now we will say she could have meant Arctic Monkeys.

Taking that users post as good info - the 1975 were the other headliner they had in the pipeline. This makes sense as their omission from the 2020 lineup is pretty noticeable.

So who do you think was the third on the table? Probably one headliner that hasn’t done it before and likely to be someone quite different from the other two. I don’t think AM and 1975 would be weird to have in one year if the third headliner was something totally different. I don’t think it’s Fleetwood Mac as Crowded House we’re quick to reschedule their 2020 dates. If a Fleetwood Mac tour was in the pipeline they’d definitely be holding out.

So I think the third headliner in mind for 2021 has to fit this criteria

- Not a band

- Not headlined before (could have played the festival before but not headlined).

- something that would balance out AM and 1975 well.

What do you think? I have a name in mind but I’m going to let some people have a shot first.

Gaga is the one that comes to mind immediately.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Gaga is the one that comes to mind immediately.

Yup.

I’m going to take a punt that the three headliners Emily hinted at are 

Arctic Monkeys, Lady Gaga, and The 1975.

Something about that trio looks ‘right’ too. Looks like a Glastonbury lineup.

• Upvote 1