2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I probably was the only person there over 35 when I saw them in the Rabbit Hole on the Sunday night.

In fairness the Rabbit Hole at 3am on the final night of a festival they have already played thrice over the weekend probably isn’t the time to be expecting much from any band.

40 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I pray that glastonbury always retains its eccentric aging hippy core. Fuck coachella and fuck anybody who wants to turn glastonbury into coachella.

Out of ups but +1 to this bit 

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

I pray that glastonbury always retains its eccentric aging hippy core. Fuck coachella and fuck anybody who wants to turn glastonbury into coachella.

100% with you on this, but ...

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

But when you go on about George Ezra or the 1975 being good, who are dogshit to anybody with ears, be they old or young, or when you suggest Bieber as headliner of glastonbury, then expect disagreement.

I’m 28, so there isnt such a huge difference in age between us. I agree that there is so much contemporary music that is great and most people on the forums do, its a forum of music lovers of all ages and I guess they’re mostly highly interested and curious about new music as most music lovers are. From what I’ve observed I’d say you are the one who seems narrow minded about new music, with a taste seemingly limited largely to chart music and whatever is popular right now.

Seriously mate - pot kettle black.  Your comment also sounds extremely narrow minded.  So let me get this - you clearly don't like George Ezra or The 1975, so you are therefore suggesting that anyone who likes them doesn't have ears?  I don't like George Ezra's music in the slightest, but would I suggest he is dogshit?  Nah, it's just happens to be that he is not to my taste.  I can however see why lots of people like him, and with another hit album he would easily tick the boxes as a future headliner.

Might it be that because the acts you have mentioned are not seen as cool, that you feel it is okay to call them "dogshit"? To me that is very narrow minded.  I'll bet you are not going to see Taylor either, as she's not cool enough 🙄

• Upvote 7

8 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Seriously mate - pot kettle black.  Your comment also sounds extremely narrow minded.  So let me get this - you clearly don't like George Ezra or The 1975, so you are therefore suggesting that anyone who likes them doesn't have ears?  I don't like George Ezra's music in the slightest, but would I suggest he is dogshit?  Nah, it's just happens to be that he is not to my taste.  I can however see why lots of people like him, and with another hit album he would easily tick the boxes as a future headliner.

Might it be that because the acts you have mentioned are not seen as cool, that you feel it is okay to call them "dogshit"? To me that is very narrow minded.  I'll bet you are not going to see Taylor either, as she's not cool enough 🙄

Thankfully i'm starting to see there's been a shift in a wide majority of peoples opinion's on The 1975, such as within my circle of friends i was the only one to listen to them up until late last year where my friends actually gave them a chance, they had written them off as a sappy band that was only listened to by young girls and would slag them off every time their name was mentioned and now their songs make up a good chunk of their playlists.. was obvious to me the only reason they were getting slagged off in the first place was because they weren't 'cool enough'

Edited by OnlyRevolutions

8 minutes ago, OnlyRevolutions said:

Thankfully i'm starting to see there's been a shift in a wide majority of peoples opinion's on The 1975, such as within my circle of friends i was the only one to listen to them up until late last year where my friends actually gave them a chance, they had written them off as a sappy band that was only listened to by young girls and would slag them off every time their name was mentioned and now their songs make up a good chunk of their playlists.. was obvious to me the only reason they were getting slagged off in the first place was because they weren't 'cool enough'

Right with you on this - if someone gives them a "proper" listen and they are not for you then fair enough, but I know a lot of people dismiss them for the reasons you have mentioned.  I am way, way outside their "perceived fanbase" and yet they have been one of my favourite bands for the last 3-4 years.  Most of my favourites are from a lot of their earlier EP's that I reckon most people will never have heard.  I also know a few people who have gone from avoiding them to loving them.

16 hours ago, circus92 said:

Each to their own. I’m not gonna argue the toss but I’ve given em a go and still didn’t like them. I even went to George Ezra last year with an open mind and it was one of the worst shows I’ve seen at glastonbury. If I had to review it i’d write ’a boring man with boring songs’ and give it no more column inches than that.

Just like, my opinion man. 

There are lots of acts I like who would probs slot into your definition of uncool so I dont think its that. I just think they suuuuuck.

Absolute lol at narrow mindedness being not liking George ezra and the 1975. There is so much great music out there that when I hear another underwhelming song by George Ezra i dont think ’ah well we get what we’re given and this is what we’re given these days’, i think ’i dont have to listen to this, i can listen to some absolutely boss zamrock or some cuban jazz at the click of a button’ and then you know what i do next? I click that button baby, i click that button good. I do this in private, i dont share playlists, i dont connect my social media to my Spotify, it aint about ’coolness’ or appearances, its about listening to good music that i like instead of aural blancmange.

Edited by mattiloy
Edit
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Nope I was 49 and rammed into the back of that tent at was it 3am Sunday night, I'd finished in the T&C dancing my socks off and legged it across to the Park with two 'younger lovely generation; who we'd never met before but they wanted to come along as 'apparently we were who they'd been looking for the entire festival :-)' , and I ended up squeezing my way into the back of the tent with 3 lads in gold suits who sent an inflatable duck crowdsurfing. The back of that tent has a dip downwards so I could only see the backs of everyones heads, and it was ssooo hot and rammed and absolutely brilliant 🙂

This is a perfect pen portrait of one of those special moments at Glastonbury. Made me shiver!

P.S. I'm well over 50 and I love Fontaines.

2 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Absolute lol at narrow mindedness being not liking George ezra and the 1975.

You have completely missed my point on this and are now twisting my words - at no point whatsoever did I say not liking these 2 acts is narrow minded ( that would in fact be calling most people on here narrow minded lol)

What I did say was that your assertion that “they are dogshit to anybody with ears, be they old or young“ was narrow minded and I standby that.

My opinion on George Ezra is similar to yours, but that doesn’t mean his music is dogshit, it’s more that we both don’t dig his music.  Plenty of other people love his music.

As you are continually at pains to point out, you absolutely detest The 1975.  In fact you and a few notable others have become tiresome in your repeated jabs at them, safe in the knowledge that not many on here are fans, so you aren’t likely to get called out by anyone.  If I am not a fan of a certain artist I don’t go out of my way to continually bash them - I just accept they are not to my taste and that many others do enjoy them - the way it should be.

Anyway, let’s not have this rumbling on and get back to discussing potential 2021 headliners 😀

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

In fairness the Rabbit Hole at 3am on the final night of a festival they have already played thrice over the weekend probably isn’t the time to be expecting much from any band.

I was sat outside it eating pie, mash, peas and gravy.