2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

Seconding Ezra not getting the headliner gig. The whole one bloke with a guitar thing makes for a shit headliner, as Sheeran proved who is infinitely more popular. Not sure on Ezra’s live setup and I don’t particularly care to put myself through it despite it apparently going down well last year, but him topping the bill seems off to me.
Remember how everybody was touting Sam Smith to follow in Adele’s footsteps a couple of years back? Same situation here with Ezra following Sheeran.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Seconding Ezra not getting the headliner gig. The whole one bloke with a guitar thing makes for a shit headliner, as Sheeran proved who is infinitely more popular. Not sure on Ezra’s live setup and I don’t particularly care to put myself through it despite it apparently going down well last year, but him topping the bill seems off to me.
Remember how everybody was touting Sam Smith to follow in Adele’s footsteps a couple of years back? Same situation here with Ezra following Sheeran.

I think Ezra is well on the path to be honest. As long as his next album doesn’t tank he’s a shoo in I’d say.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

He's retiring from touring - but sounds like not live performances entirely.  I don't think he's ruled out one off gigs.

True, but I suspect that had he wanted to play he would have by now. Instead he seems to prefer spending June playing in provincial Scottish football stadia.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Elton's continued absence - at least in recent years - is a puzzler up there with the Marie Celeste and the Bermuda Triangle. Seems like an obvious win for all parties concerned.

Indeed, especially when you consider there have been a few years recently where the fest have been desperately scratching around for a headliner. This is why I fear it’s just not that high up his priority list.

54 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Even though the stars could seemingly align to see The 1975 / Billie Eilish / George Ezra topping the bill in 2021 I don't think Emily and Nick would want to commit quite so heavily to pissing off the Mojo readers.

Me rn not sure who to defend first

A44EF81A-4051-4684-8C79-072E28289C42.gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Even though the stars could seemingly align to see The 1975 / Billie Eilish / George Ezra topping the bill in 2021 I don't think Emily and Nick would want to commit quite so heavily to pissing off the Mojo readers.

Yeah don't see this all in the same year (not convinced Ezra ever will).

Especially as there's been a big legacy act as part of the trio in 2019 and 2020.

47 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Ezra isn't "one bloke with a guitar" though. He plays with a full band, including brass section. 

He had the crowd in the palm of his hand during the sub slot. He's got the stage presence, the hits and the fans to pull it off. Throw a new album and another 2/3 hits in to the mix and it's a slam dunk.

Love that we’re already acting like we’ve got the 2021 headliners sussed out 😂

I’m sure George Ezra will happen. He’s one of the best selling British artists of the last decade and managed to make his second release just as (if not more) successful than his huge debut. He’s got more hits than almost any other ‘new’ headliner they could book.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Ezra's show last year was with a big band - brass section and so on

Edit: In fact I think that might be the biggest singalong I've heard from last year. Maybe Liam might have topped it I dunno.

Screenshot 2020-01-17 at 11.03.44.png

I'd take the addicts everyday over that insipid shite.

Edited by zero000