2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

2 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Aiming high there...

I was tempted to chuck Coldplay in as well, this year looks like the most interesting in years so I think next year is going to look very safe in comparison.

I'm trying to avoid saying good and bad as I know loads of people would enjoy Kasabian.

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

Kasabian

Arctic Monkeys

Florence + the Machine

Can't see them going with 3 that have all done it before. Also can't see Kasabian getting the call up again now, as good as it was in 2014. About time Arctic Monkeys did though, if they have an album out next year (or end of this). Florence maybe, but not just yet.

For me - 1975 plus 2 from Arctic Monkeys, Fleetwood Mac and Elton John. The last 3 would be the dream though. 

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

Kasabian

Arctic Monkeys

Florence + the Machine

Thats dire, even for a Readling and Leeds festival in the early 2010s. I can't see Kasabian or Florence doing it again.

Also I can't remember the last time Glastonbury didn't have a new headliner or sometimes even 2. Gotta be thinking its somewhere in the early 2000s

Edited by chazwwe

57 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Rage Against the Machine won’t do it.

I want and hope you are wrong.

My hope is that Emily Eavis has paid attention to how much of a hot ticket they are and started the ball rolling for 2021. I want a tender between Glasto and Download (if they are playing R&L this year)

5 hours ago, The Martini Police said:

Can't see them going with 3 that have all done it before. Also can't see Kasabian getting the call up again now, as good as it was in 2014. About time Arctic Monkeys did though, if they have an album out next year (or end of this). Florence maybe, but not just yet.

For me - 1975 plus 2 from Arctic Monkeys, Fleetwood Mac and Elton John. The last 3 would be the dream though. 

Here's your reminder that the last Kasabian album shifted more copies in its first week than the last 1975 album did.

They can and will headline again.

17 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Here's your reminder that the last Kasabian album shifted more copies in its first week than the last 1975 album did.

They can and will headline again.

They *could* but I personally don’t think they will. Not surprised they shifted more copies and they’re a better band, I can just see them being the kind to get overlooked in the future, especially with my/the expectation of generally fewer rock headliners each year. 

If you want to do a direct comparison though, would you not agree that despite that stat (and many others I’m sure), the 1975 are much more likely to headline next year? 

1 minute ago, The Martini Police said:

They *could* but I personally don’t think they will. Not surprised they shifted more copies and they’re a better band, I can just see them being the kind to get overlooked in the future, especially with my/the expectation of generally fewer rock headliners each year. 

If you want to do a direct comparison though, would you not agree that despite that stat (and many others I’m sure), the 1975 are much more likely to headline next year? 

I didn't really want to directly compare the two in their chances of headlining Glastonbury - either can next year, both can next year. It's just when people are talking up The 1975 as a given and repeating this nonsense that Kasabian are down and out on their chances, it seemed pretty relevant.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Only 8 million more than a band who are persona non grata outside of the UK?

Yep 1975 aren't that big outside the UK either, just currently bigger in the UK than Kasabian are. 

I really can't see them getting the call up again unless a new album does wonders for them or GFL are in need. 

10 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Yep 1975 aren't that big outside the UK either, just currently bigger in the UK than Kasabian are. 

I really can't see them getting the call up again unless a new album does wonders for them or GFL are in need. 

The 1975 sold out Madison Square Garden and then had high main stage slots at Coachella, Governors Ball and Hangout last year in the US. Kasabian are nowhere near that over there, but sell out bigger venues over here and also that last stat I just posted. Their new album won't be a smash but it doesn't need to be.

I have no reason to blow the trumpet for Kasabian but it's just hella stupid when this place decides that a band is over despite what ticket and album sales might suggest. Elbow are a big victim of it here too.

Kasabian are definitely in the bracket of The Killers - not the most inspiring act to headline a 2nd time but a great live act with plenty of well known hits to rely on. Not everyone's cup of tea, especially given some of the snobbery on here, but they're still huge in the UK and renowned for putting on a good show.