2021 Headliners

On 1/4/2020 at 3:45 PM, circus92 said:

Anyway, let’s not have this rumbling on and get back to discussing potential 2021 headliners 😀

Look the thing is Ezra and those 1975 clowns ran over my dog. Hit and run.

I didnt wanna say but the fact is they’re cold blooded dog murderers.

So now thats cleared up and we can all agree that they’re a shower of bastards, then yes! on with the show

• Downvote 2

36 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

My line of thinking is just accepting the fact George Ezra will probably be headlining. 

For those who weren’t around we once did this before with Ed Sheeran. Let’s just get it over and done with.

Mumford & Sons.

38 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

My line of thinking is just accepting the fact George Ezra will probably be headlining. 

For those who weren’t around we once did this before with Ed Sheeran. Let’s just get it over and done with.

Eza will either headline on the back off his next next album or leading up to the one after that. Still got a few years but he'll headline, unless he tanks out of the industry. 

20 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Eza will either headline on the back off his next next album or leading up to the one after that. Still got a few years but he'll headline, unless he tanks out of the industry. 

I honestly think it’s 2021. He’l do it on the cycle of his third album. Strike the fire while it’s hot.

1 hour ago, Madyaker said:

Is anyone else completely bewildered by Ezra's recent resurgance? I see absolutely no reason for it. He's still peddling the same shite he's been peddling for years yet now for some reason he's a potential headliner?

Doesn’t surprise me at all. On music forums, Reddit threads, most music press all we are arsed about is the stuff that pushes boundaries etc. It’s easy to think that the entire public consumes music just as we do.

George Ezra appeals to probably the biggest music market out there. Those who will put the radio one for a little bit in the car or in the background while getting ready for work. They all buy music too but they don’t necessarily sign up to a music forum to speak about it. He’s appeals to a massive market looking for inoffensive music.

3 hours ago, mcshed said:

Apologies for the pointless nit-picking but what is going on in this metaphor? Why are you striking a fire? Why is better to strike it when it's hot? I don't think you'd make a great blacksmith.

It's exactly about being a great blacksmith!

If you strike the iron while it's hot it's much more easier to make it what you want it to be.

Edit: just realised that the original post mentioned striking the fire instead of the iron :-) as you were.

Edited by stuie

1 hour ago, Madyaker said:

Is anyone else completely bewildered by Ezra's recent resurgance? I see absolutely no reason for it. He's still peddling the same shite he's been peddling for years yet now for some reason he's a potential headliner?

I mean its only his second album so its hard to say he's been peddliing the same shite for years and it had like four massive songs on it - the first only really had Budapest which carried it significantly. If he can release a third album thats as good as the second one then there is no reason for him not to headline I think.

Ezra's popularity is nothing new. There has always been a market for that MOR earnest male singer/songwriter that so many of them do. Just have a look at some of the names in the top 100 selling UK albums - Ezra, Sheeran, Blunt, David Gray… we've even got the next one already off the production line in Lewis Capaldi. That's before you get into the indie betwetter likes of Snow Patrol, Keane and Travis.

Most of us may not like it, but that stuff sells by the bucketload.

Maybe Ezra sells a lot of records, but the glastonbury crowd is also not representative of the wider public (although perhaps less and less true each year). There was loads of space at his show last year on the pyramid and as I’ve mentioned it was a snooze fest. If he does get it, i’d put money on it being the smallest crowd and the worst reviews for a headliner for a long long time.

45 minutes ago, gfa said:

I mean its only his second album so its hard to say he's been peddliing the same shite for years and it had like four massive songs on it - the first only really had Budapest which carried it significantly. If he can release a third album thats as good as the second one then there is no reason for him not to headline I think.

Well this kind of explains it then, I thought he'd released a few albums over the last couple of years since he had that hit with Budapest.

51 minutes ago, stuie said:

It's exactly about being a great blacksmith!

If you strike the iron while it's hot it's much more easier to make it what you want it to be.

Edit: just realised that the original post mentioned striking the fire instead of the iron 🙂 as you were.

Yeah I'm all about striking hot iron, I was puzzled by the image of someone hammering away at the furnace when it was at its hottest.

15 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Maybe Ezra sells a lot of records, but the glastonbury crowd is also not representative of the wider public (although perhaps less and less true each year). There was loads of space at his show last year on the pyramid and as I’ve mentioned it was a snooze fest. If he does get it, i’d put money on it being the smallest crowd and the worst reviews for a headliner for a long long time.

I was elsewhere so can’t comment on his crowd size this year (although it looked big on the telly) but I find it hard to believe he wouldn’t get a huge crowd when he does inevitably headline. 

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

I was elsewhere so can’t comment on his crowd size this year (although it looked big on the telly) but I find it hard to believe he wouldn’t get a huge crowd when he does inevitably headline. 

It looled huge and - more importantly - hugely enthusiastic. They were loving to see it.

20 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

To be fair to the guy he was stuck on a stool for the whole performance - many acts would have pulled out in the same circumstances. I saw him at Isle of Wight and seemed adequate enough to me and most people were absolutely lapping it up

Shotgun is my 4 year old's favourite song and we certainly didn't introduce her to it she just came back from nursery singing it and asking for the "Hot Sun" song and she hasn't reacted to any other music as instantly as that. So I certainly think he has something about him even if I'm not a fan.

35 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Mate watch this vid. Look at how the crowd are reacting. Look how much the BBC lap this shit up.

This is not my type of music at all but this has a massive market at glasto and it’s what some people buy tickets to the festival expecting to see.

Come into the reality boat chum. Let’s just let glasto book him to headline and get it over with.

#GetEzraBookingDone and let’s move on.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Mate watch this vid. Look at how the crowd are reacting. Look how much the BBC lap this shit up.

This is not my type of music at all but this has a massive market at glasto and it’s what some people buy tickets to the festival expecting to see.

Come into the reality boat chum. Let’s just let glasto book him to headline and get it over with.

#GetEzraBookingDone and let’s move on.

I’m sure I’ve seen this before :) ... it’s not got any better ... I don’t usually have strong opinions on music but just can’t seem to stomach him ... although I can see his appeal to the masses though