2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

Fuck me - here we go again 🙄

I have only been on here a few months and in general I absolutely love the camaraderie, banter, opinions, information etc, but this isn't the first time this ageist nonsense has cropped up – in particular I’m thinking back to the “Taylor Swift is for teenage girls” crap from a few weeks ago.

I’m pushing 50 so I presume I am in the “Old” category?  I may well be “Old” in some people’s eyes, but I have always subscribed to the “age is only a number” mindset to pretty much everything I do in life, and particularly about my music choices.

If Taylor is up against Noel, I will definitely be at Taylor.  If The 1975 are up against Macca, I will be at The 1975 without hesitation.  As a 46 year old Male, those may seem strange choices to some, but they are MY choices.  Unfortunately there always seems to be plenty of people who make you feel that your choices are not appropriate for your age or gender which gets really tiresome.

I strongly believe your age should not define your taste in music, but sadly too many people feel the need for everyone to conform to age and gender stereotypes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Matt sees himself as the “voice of the yoof” and has a history of inventing young v old poster arguments for him to address despite nobody ever actually saying anything of the sort.

It’s idiocy of the highest order.

Wait... Matt42 isn't 42?

Just to conform to the stereotypes here, I'm 39 and I found her incredibly boring and wouldn't want to go and see her should she headline the big one.

55 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I like Bad Guy, gave the album a listen and while I enjoyed the sound and the minimalist production it all sounded a little samey after a while.

Totally agree with this. I expected big things from the Other Stage performance on the back of the hype last year but it just didn't catch fire for me. The majority of people were loving it though, and rightly so. It's nice to see an artist take pop music in a different direction every once in a while.

Like I said in another thread, certain acts or events make you realise that you're not the target audience and I'm comfortable with that. Just because you may not like something doesn't mean you can't appreciate that it's tapping into the zeitgeist and deserves the recognition it's enjoying. 

Age is irrelevant. Respect is key. 

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

You’re old as soon as you think Billie Eilish might be a touch overrated.

In my opinion she is definitely overrated, and that opinion is nothing to do with being old.

I saw her at Reading last year and thought it was just okay.  Impressively large crowd, but still just average musically.

Wait - what was I thinking of being at Reading, watching Billie Eilish - surely i am too old for that 😉

5 minutes ago, circus92 said:

In my opinion she is definitely overrated, and that opinion is nothing to do with being old.

I saw her at Reading last year and thought it was just okay.  Impressively large crowd, but still just average musically.

Wait - what was I thinking of being at Reading, watching Billie Eilish - surely i am too old for that 😉

That's putting it politely.

On 1/2/2020 at 12:24 AM, Hugh Jass said:

Of course the grim spectre of Coldplay touring in 2021 with two albums’ worth of new material should never be ignored.

I can't believe it took until the 3rd page for them to get mentioned!

God this whole age thing is a load of crap, anyone of any age can like whatever music they wan't and have their own opinions on acts they may not think are big enough. I'm 22 and Macca is the most likely headliner I will be at this year, but because I am young am I mean't to like Taylor? No...A lot of people my age are into hip hop and into Kendrick, but I'm not and both are fine. But then I get a load of people say I am living in the past and only like the music my Dad likes, once again what a load of rubbish, yes I'm a big Paul Weller fan...because of my Dad, but there are popular modern acts that I love like The 1975 which he would never go see.

With regards to Billie, I saw her at Reading last year, and I could see the appeal, but it wasn't for me, I agree with Hugh it was all very samey after a while, so I left to go elsewhere. (I also wasn't happy that I got there late and missed Bad Guy), but I do think she will headline in the future, but at the same time believe she is overrated...none of these opinions are determined by my age...

So I can happily say Matt's views do not reflect my own

20 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Wasn't a wind up though was it. Just admit the 'old people don't want young exciting artists' trope was ill-thought out, apologise and move on

17 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

I'm afraid to inform you that this attempt to fool everyone by going over the top with your jokes to make it seem like everything else you said was a joke is pretty transparent.

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

And you are too easy to see through.

Christ alive hahah

I still stand with my point that there is sometimes unfair belittling of younger artists who are doing better than artists who have been around for a long time. I just think that sometimes this forum can be a huge echo chamber and detached from what the mass attendees of glasto (and most festivals for that matter) actually want and find exciting.

Tbh I just like Lizzo/Billie because they ooze personality and frankly thats something thats been missing from pop music for a little while imo.

Dunno if they will ever headline Glasto though. I get the impression that they (Billie in particular) could go down the road of Post Malone and just headline stuff like RnL on repeat for the big bucks rather than G

Just now, Matt42 said:

Christ alive hahah

I still stand with my point that there is sometimes unfair belittling of younger artists who are doing better than artists who have been around for a long time. I just think that sometimes this forum can be a huge echo chamber and detached from what the mass attendees of glasto (and most festivals for that matter) actually want and find exciting.

Mate there is belitting of all artists here, its part of the fun. Dont see you complaining that people dismiss Courteeners on here but dont anyone dare come for Billie

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

Tbh I just like Lizzo/Billie because they ooze personality and frankly thats something thats been missing from pop music for a little while imo.

Dunno if they will ever headline Glasto though. I get the impression that they (Billie in particular) could go down the road of Post Malone and just headline stuff like RnL on repeat for the big bucks rather than G

I'm not so sure. Lizzo in particular won't be writing off her show at G18 as 'just another gig'.

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

Mate there is belitting of all artists here, its part of the fun. Dont see you complaining that people dismiss Courteeners on here but dont anyone dare come for Billie

Because Courteeners aren’t in any way comparable to Billie. Newer artists such as Billie, Ezra, Lizzo etc can achieve great things but they get labelled as ‘flash in the pan’. I just don’t like it. People are just weirdly critical of popular artists and I don’t get it.