The State Of The Ground.

Sawdusty surfer

30 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

@clarkete  ^ that was me except I was wearing a pair of pink/purple cowboy boots with Cuban heels. Both heels dropped off soon after getting there so I abandoned them. Was a Cinema Tent casualty. Best/worst hitch of my life getting home afterwards. Fantastic.

We were selling cheese rolls made by Liberal Party (as was) volunteers from a trestle table in a gazebo in the market which I believe they used to have up the hill from the pyramid in the direction of the farm.

With the mud there wasn't that much passing trade so I was sent off with a partner flogging them from a bread basket at 3 for a quid.

I recall a particularly warm welcome from a stoned chap in the the cinema hand delivering grub to him. 

Sometimes I have a vague memory that I may have been there the year before and had seen it as everyone had dressed for in 85, but I'm buggered if I can ever pin it down - I only know I was defo there the muddy year for that and some of the line up I saw 

5 hours ago, dingbat2 said:

Interesting, that Jagwar Ma sets in 2014 was one of the finest, most enjoyable sets I have seen at Glasto,  I thought there was a cracking atmosphere, and everybody (well most people) though fuck it, its pissing it down, but I am going to have a fantastic time...  I still watch this video now, love it...

Was a tremendous set despite the rain. I remember being stood at the sound desk before they come on, sticking sun cream on and thinking there was potential for losing the wellies if it carried on. 

Then this dark cloud crept over the park and the heavens opened.

they come on to voodoo ray and everyone went mad despite the weather.

An excellent live band, shame I don’t think we’ll be seeing them for while if again at all. 

13 minutes ago, Divein said:

Was a tremendous set despite the rain. I remember being stood at the sound desk before they come on, sticking sun cream on and thinking there was potential for losing the wellies if it carried on. 

Then this dark cloud crept over the park and the heavens opened.

they come on to voodoo ray and everyone went mad despite the weather.

An excellent live band, shame I don’t think we’ll be seeing them for while if again at all. 

Why not? They've been at 2014, 2016 and 2017. Surely you'd expect them to be back next year?

5 hours ago, Titters said:

One for the 2014 collection... 

Watching the storm roll in. My poncho failed to do its job... 

PANO_20140627_164233.jpg

8 hours ago, drunk pumpkin said:

the image is from 2014 as the storm approached. It was glorious to see!

IMG_2413.thumb.jpeg.c010dd2136585d6bf6450c4429c8dded.jpeg

I hope you both don't mind me 'borrowing' these pics, but they make utterly fucking amazing dual screen wallpapers! Thank you both so very much! x

9 hours ago, incident said:

Can I just remind everyone - prior to 2016 nobody paid nearly as much attention to the weather of the build up, and especially not anything prior to festival week. There was no reason to do so - it had never caused a significant issue.

Ah folk who've not been through 2005. I envy them. It's been like a religion ever since

2014's storm I remember for the raindrops - the first volley had me convinced someone had thrown a handful of marbles. Largest rain I've seen.

If it looks like being muddy, I recommend some lateral gluteal exercises in the next couple of weeks. Especially for the over 40s.

2016 had my hips screaming by the end of each day

Those muscles tend to start to atrophy a bit and they are found out by walking on mud and maintaining  lateral balance.

Not too late to tone them up a bit

7 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's such nonsense. We had Azores fingers and footballer memes in 2010. This forum has been obsessed with the weather since 2007 at least.

Gawd, I'm in full on "get off my lawn you kids" mode today. I'm just as annoying as all the middle ages men were to me in 1997, shaking their heads and invoking "1985!"

6 hours ago, clarkete said:

Ah 85, now that was a hell of a year ?

The thing then was many people simply didn't take what you need for 5 days like they do now. They didn't prepare for weather, just for a party. There were loads you saw simply dressed like going to the pub - jeans, jacket and some DMs or trainers. Some with no tent or anything, so when it got messy in an unprecedented way people wrapped their muddy shoes in carrier bags, slipped on a bin bag and got wrecked.

There were lots of sleeping casualties during the day in the cinema tent and the like. 

I survived 85

its the only year I have seen people dragged out by tractor

and before people jump in and mention ' they have seen cars towed out loads of times by tractor '

I do mean People and not Cars.

there was one spot on the right hand side walking down from drug alley towards the Pyramid that caught out loads of people - as each person fell - a friend or stranger would attempt to pull them out # and down they would go as well # - by the time we reached them there was a line of 7 to 9 people all stuck in the bloody mud - someone ran to the farm house and a tractor arrived and by that time there was a line of 11 to 13 people - it was the most bizarre thing I have ever seen - the driver tossed a rope and who ever could reach it # they were towed out # and the driver tossed the rope in again - they were covered in Mud - sadly no photos as I only had a SLR { a Nikon F2 } that cost a fortune and there is no bloody way I was going to risk that being lost.

it was so bad that most of my friends who started going in 1979 # just never came back after 1985 #

I do fully agree that out of the 40,000 Punters there was a large amount who showed up without a bloody tent - I doubt many came back after that year.

On the Monday these tractor drivers were earning a bomb towing out cars but amazingly my little mini made it out without help.{ shot of 4 of us going to it }

38917_o.thumb.jpg.f344562910ee082463014ff835217487.jpg

• Upvote 10

6 hours ago, BlackZeppelin said:

If it looks like being muddy, I recommend some lateral gluteal exercises in the next couple of weeks. Especially for the over 40s.

2016 had my hips screaming by the end of each day

Those muscles tend to start to atrophy a bit and they are found out by walking on mud and maintaining  lateral balance.

Not too late to tone them up a bit

Any recommendations? Just in case as obviously it will be mainly dry. 

6 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I survived 85

and before people jump in and mention ' they have seen cars towed out loads of times by tractor '

there was one spot on the right hand side walking down from drug alley towards the Pyramid that caught out loads of people - as each person fell - a friend or stranger would attempt to pull them out # and down they would go as well # - by the time we reached them there was a line of 7 to 9 people all stuck in the bloody mud - someone ran to the farm house and a tractor arrived and by that time there was a line of 11 to 13 people - it was the most bizarre thing I have ever seen - the driver tossed a rope and who ever could reach it # they were towed out # and the driver tossed the rope in again - they were covered in Mud - sadly no photos as I only had a SLR { a Nikon F2 } that cost a fortune and there is no bloody way I was going to risk that being lost.

it was so bad that most of my friends who started going in 1979 # just never came back after 1985 #

I do fully agree that out of the 40,000 Punters there was a large amount who showed up without a bloody tent - I doubt many came back after that year.

On the Monday these tractor drivers were earning a bomb towing out cars but amazingly my little mini made it out without help.{ shot of 4 of us going to it }

Quality story ?

7 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I survived 85

Fantastic.

1 hour ago, bigbilly said:

Quality story ?

27 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Fantastic.

as other people walked down ' we were warning them not to attempt to pull people out '

did they listen ? - did they fuck 

Funny enough none of us had a handy rope 

We don't have a clue what the ground looked like at that point because as you can imagine by the time we came across it was like a quicksand swamp - the ground say 30 feet away was fine but that spot was lethal

later on when everyone was rescued someone had put out warning tape but of course some idiots
just ignored the warnings and then got trapped.

even to this day I avoid that area when it has been wet.

-------------

could not believe that so many showed up with no camping gear - many ended up in the Hare Krishna tent all huddling together - I have some old B/W shots of tons of people all dressed in bin bags - a very weird year that was .

9047_o.thumb.jpg.7084bcd35c3d6b5237c0031f8e9ea9e2.jpg44110_o.thumb.jpg.8edba462907b97b7277b809db5829419.jpg

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

as other people walked down ' we were warning them not to attempt to pull people out '

did they listen ? - did they fuck 

Funny enough none of us had a handy rope 

We don't have a clue what the ground looked like at that point because as you can imagine by the time we came across it was like a quicksand swamp - the ground say 30 feet away was fine but that spot was lethal

later on when everyone was rescued someone had put out warning tape but of course some idiots
just ignored the warnings and then got trapped.

even to this day I avoid that area when it has been wet.

-------------

could not believe that so many showed up with no camping gear - many ended up in the Hare Krishna tent all huddling together - I have some old B/W shots of tons of people all dressed in bin bags - a very weird year that was .

9047_o.thumb.jpg.7084bcd35c3d6b5237c0031f8e9ea9e2.jpg44110_o.thumb.jpg.8edba462907b97b7277b809db5829419.jpg

Where would this area be on the map? 

10 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Why not? They've been at 2014, 2016 and 2017. Surely you'd expect them to be back next year?

I don’t think they’re even a band at the minute and can’t see them getting in the studio anytime soon.

Gab is touring on his own and Jono isn’t djing as much. It all seems to have gone very quiet on the JM front.