The State Of The Ground.

Sawdusty surfer

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

Because rain has started appearing on weather forecasts leading up to the festival. The pattern is similar to 2016, lovely and warm up until a few weeks before hand and then rain. 

But 2016 had rain all year .. this year we haven’t ?

1 minute ago, TiZuff said:

Why has this thread sky rocketed ?!? What have I missed ?? Why are we talking about 07/16 I thought the water table was low and the ground could take the rain ???

I think it is raining and cold across a swathe of the country and it is hard to project past that. Hence the gloom. It's pissing it down here but my garden, despite getting run off from the school playground at the end, is still rock hard below about 5mm. It's not going to be a 2016 - there may be mud due to churn but it isn't going to be the terminal diarrhoea of 2016.

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

Because rain has started appearing on weather forecasts leading up to the festival. The pattern is similar to 2016, lovely and warm up until a few weeks before hand and then rain. 

The only part i disagree with is it's not similar to 2016 as they haven't had as much rain leading up to it. That could change if they have heavy amounts of rain over the next 2 weeks but the temperatures are higher than 2016

1 minute ago, Fork_UK said:

I didn’t realise that’s where the chaos of this thread had started.

I’m no meteorologist but that doesn’t look THAT bad? A few days of heavy rain but also some dry days and even some sunshine? Plus that is still only taking us up to about 10 days before the festival?

You'd get the old mudblindness - that sense of dislocation and dizziness as you trudge ever onwards towards The Glade for what feels like three hours only to realise you aren't halfway across The Other Stage yet. 

War is hell.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

The only part i disagree with is it's not similar to 2016 as they haven't had as much rain leading up to it. That could change if they have heavy amounts of rain over the next 2 weeks but the temperatures are higher than 2016

That's true, but if it doesn't let up between now and the festival (which we can't be sure of, of course), then it'll be another Battle of the Somme.  Even if the water table doesn't rise as much as 2016, even half the mud of 2016 would make it a tough 5 days.  

32 minutes ago, watsonjm said:

2007 was grim, my first year and i nearly didn't come back (thank god i did).  Preferred 2016, i can deal with mud, the depressing virtually none stop rain of 2007 was harder for me.

Am i right in thinking 2005 was the worst of the worst?

I actually enjoyed the weather of 2005- it was hot blazing sunshine on Wednesday and Thursday and then again on Sunday by which point the ground had completely dried. The storm and its aftermath was kind of exciting and after the deluge it was pretty much rain free the rest of the way

I’d be in serious bother with 2016 mud. It’s the way you stick in the ground and have to pull your leg out. My knee ligaments are shot as it is they won’t be able to cope . 

Plus after seeing someone break their ankle in that mud on the SE entrance im never want to see that mud again. 

14 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

The mud in 2016 was horrible, there’s no doubt. I remember trying to get into SE Corner and it was taking ages as people were losing boots and wellies all over the place. It was like glue.

I took a spare poncho in order to be able to sit down on the floor though so that part wasn’t too bad.

Realistically any forecasts for the week of the festival aren’t going to be that accurate yet. But if rain for 5-7 days now followed by dry weather will be perfect. KEEP THE FAITH!

I found my mate outside our tent at about 5am like this after a visit to the SE corner.

I'd like to think those wellies are still beneath the ground somewhere, waiting for a future civilisation to ponder over their significance

IMG_20160626_042101.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, caballosblancos said:

I was at 2007 and 16. I preferred 07, but nine years younger and fitter might be a factor... The mud of 16, combined with the palaver of getting in was horrendous.

Behave. 2016 was shit but no where near as bad as the mind numbing, bone freezing, constant deluge and mud of 2007.

2 minutes ago, ceetee said:

I found my mate outside our tent at about 5am like this after a visit to the SE corner.

I'd like to think those wellies are still beneath the ground somewhere, waiting for a future civilisation to ponder over their significance

IMG_20160626_042101.jpg

Nice to see socks accommodating for extra large toes. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

I’d be in serious bother with 2016 mud. It’s the way you stick in the ground and have to pull your leg out. My knee ligaments are shot as it is they won’t be able to cope . 

Plus after seeing someone break their ankle in that mud on the SE entrance im never want to see that mud again. 

The entrance to the SE corner was like a war zone!

20 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Not at all, unless your tent was flooded on the Friday morning. For the majority of the festival, it wasn't that bad at all. Sunday was lovely and you could pretty much sit down by Monday.

2007 was much, much worse. 2016 too.

I concur! To add insult to injury in 2007, it tipped it down Sunday night and then went really cold Monday morning - it flooded where you queue for buses so you couldn't put your backpack down or sit down, and it was so cold and wet people were shivering - they had to hand blankets out. 

Edited by Mr.Tease

10 minutes ago, rubick said:

You'd get the old mudblindness - that sense of dislocation and dizziness as you trudge ever onwards towards The Glade for what feels like three hours only to realise you aren't halfway across The Other Stage yet. 

War is hell.

Yeah, I remember by the Sunday in 2016, the constant trudging through deep mud was getting to me- I remember trudging through a field for the zillionth time, and just looking up and seeing thick glue mud in all directions, as far as the eye could see- it was like what people must experience when lost out in the middle of a desert and close to death

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buffy394 said:

This is the most thoroughly depressing 4 pages of a thread I have ever encountered on this website

2016 when the video from the site was posted of a guy stepping on a mud hill for liters of water to pour out. The following 12 hours on here was hell. 

Mud and rain aren’t ideal, but there’s not an inverse relationship between conditions and the fun you can have.

2007 was my first year, but I had an amazing time. I preferred it to 2011 which was my worst Glasto. 

Obviously there’s a myriad of factors that will dictate whether or not you enjoy yourself, but if it shits down we can still have a blast. 

Keep the faith people. 

Just now, nikkic said:

Mud and rain aren’t ideal, but there’s not an inverse relationship between conditions and the fun you can have.

2007 was my first year, but I had an amazing time. I preferred it to 2011 which was my worst Glasto. 

Obviously there’s a myriad of factors that will dictate whether or not you enjoy yourself, but if it shits down we can still have a blast. 

Keep the faith people. 

2011 was pretty muddy at times as well though.

It did dry out by the Sunday, but the Friday especially was grim.

17 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I didn’t realise that’s where the chaos of this thread had started.

I’m no meteorologist but that doesn’t look THAT bad? A few days of heavy rain but also some dry days and even some sunshine? Plus that is still only taking us up to about 10 days before the festival?

I think they've changed it since it was first posted- it's now looking drier and sunnier the last few days of that forecast range. If it stays that way from the 16th onwards, we should hopefully be okay!