The State Of The Ground.

Sawdusty surfer

Bad weather means theatre and circus fields aren't as much fun. Was brilliant in 2017 being able to sit on the grass and watch all the cool random stuff that happens there. 

Mud ruins everything. Especially glud! 

As someone who now suffers from various medical conditions which means my back is in tatters/I have to sit down regularly, im really nervous this year about the weather and mud.

2016 was absolutely nightmarish, felt my back pop in time with my welly sucking itself out the ground.

Yet here I am again with a ticket because it really is all worth it in the end isnt it?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This 100%. I wasn't there in 2007 or 2016 (so I'm kind of like a good-luck weather charm!) but I have no doubt that both of them were far from easy. 

Never forsake us again

I genuinely don't think 2016 levels of mud and chaos are possible at this stage. The rain is interspersed with dry spells. Temperatures are due to rise as well. It's looking a bit unsettled for sure so it's not likely to be as glorious as 2017 but I think it will just be an average year. There'll be some mud, It will dry out. You'll need to have waterproofs with you but hopefully not on all the time. 

11 minutes ago, incident said:

2011 was pretty muddy at times as well though.

It did dry out by the Sunday, but the Friday especially was grim.

2011 was a walk in the park compared to 2007. 

I agree Friday was grim, but we largely have Bono to blame for that. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

I'm nursing a broken collarbone and am in a sling, I could really do without a repeat of 2016 as there's a good chance I'll fall on my arse, what with only having one arm for stabilisation.

Is there not a high chance of that if it were dry anyway :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Bad weather means theatre and circus fields aren't as much fun. Was brilliant in 2017 being able to sit on the grass and watch all the cool random stuff that happens there. 

Mud ruins everything. Especially glud! 

Glud?? Sticky mud?? 

Just now, H.M.V said:

Glastonbury glue mud - glud

? nice term to describe the horrors of that unique type of mud, i'll start using that! 

I won't mention the boots vs wellies debate in that type of mud though :lol:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Glastonbury glue mud - glud

It was like walking through treacle!! Sunday walking through Silver Hayes on way to JP was particularly bad as was pretty much broken by then :( took over an hour to get there from top of Paines ground to JP!!

Edited by shoptildrop

Woots! 

13 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

? nice term to describe the horrors of that unique type of mud, i'll start using that! 

I won't mention the boots vs wellies debate in that type of mud though :lol:

Woots vs. Bellies 

We've had nowhere near the amount of rain we had in 2016, the water table is so low at the moment all the rain will be doing is starting to soften the rock solid concrete type ground at mo.  We had heavy rain this morning in central Bristol but now its dried off and the breeze is noticable. I think variable weather with rain/wind/sun over next 10 days will cancel each other out in some sense. 

1 hour ago, Doug85 said:

Anyone been on site or near by to see what the rain today has done to the ground? Doesn't seem to be as heavy rain there now but there is a threat of a thunderstorm this evening according to the MET. 

Rest of the week doesn't look too bad really other than Wednesday. 

Calm down everyone!!! The rain was consistent this morning, looked like it was set in and was breezy. But the sun has come out, it’s warm. It is currently NOT raining. Yes there are ominous clouds around but it has brightened up no end.

just back from a walk across the top of the site. The rain today has made no difference to the ground conditions. The grass is wet but it is still firm under foot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Calm down everyone!!! The rain was consistent this morning, looked like it was set in and was breezy. But the sun has come out, it’s warm. It is currently NOT raining. Yes there are ominous clouds around but it has brightened up no end.

just back from a walk across the top of the site. The rain today has made no difference to the ground conditions. The grass is wet but it is still firm under foot.

and there we have it... a logical explanation of current conditions. Thanks Dee. Hopefully will calm people down a bit! 

7 minutes ago, tumbles said:

We've had nowhere near the amount of rain we had in 2016, the water table is so low at the moment all the rain will be doing is starting to soften the rock solid concrete type ground at mo.  We had heavy rain this morning in central Bristol but now its dried off and the breeze is noticable. I think variable weather with rain/wind/sun over next 10 days will cancel each other out in some sense. 

That's what I'm reminding myself, plus the rain doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as what was forecast on accuweather (at least from looking at the webcam!) so I'm cautiously optimistic that it's not going to be a complete mud bath.

Either way, I've got my walking boots and seelskinz so my feet should remain dry whatever happens!

3 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Exactly this. I live in Manchester and we've had more rain than Pilton in recent weeks but it's not constant enough to cause any issues and dries out quickly. I've not even used my walking boots in weeks. 

40 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Never forsake us again

I will do my best :)

This thread is giving me the absolute fear guys. Seriously. Stop it.

I started going in 2008 and have always, always had immense respect for those who made it through 2007. That has to be the worst of all worlds. But I know mud like 2016 will be exhausting and put my other half in a right strop and all. 

The worst I've ever had it was that Friday in 2011 (cold, wet and muddy all day) and a couple of intense downpours in 2009 and 2014 (the latter leading to fair bit of difficult mud). I know I've been lucky. But my eight years of generally good weather suggests to me that it's more likely to be okay than not okay.

What year was it when we massively dodged a bullet? 2012? The fallow year that was horrific for weather.

Aside from the tiredness and effort, I hate how the site looks when it's really muddy. It's so much prettier with the sunshine and green fields.