Emily interview

dccool

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Have Gammon just become more confident and have always been going to the festival or is it people that have never been before critiquing the lineup?

why is it surprising to them that Janelle Monáe might be booked for Glastonbury? Also I find it mad how many users on twitter have no idea who she is...

Response seems as positive as they are negative to me. Of the negative comments half of them are ‘who?’ as you say (which I would expect for most acts away from the two biggest stages) but they aren’t necessarily older people just people not as obsessed with music and festivals as we are.

Of the true negative comments the ‘downward spiral’ of Glastonbury following Kanye (on Facebook) stuck out to me as particularly gammon (and ridiculous).

She’s a good booking imo. Excitement building...

27 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Genuine question : Does 'gammon' mean someone who criticises manufactured pop?

It originates from angry white men whose face turns bright pink when they are spouting their bigoted nonsense... 

It has come to mean most right wingers or fascist or bigot etc.. Mostly Brexiteers. 

Just heard the 'interview' - blimey, it's not long, is it? Definitely smacks of EE giving a bit of support to LL on her first show.

She was definitely billed as having a 'couple' of names as well, but only gave one.

Don't get the impression that the way they're announcing names has changed at all.

Does sound like the tipis have moved though, perhaps the private ones closest to the Park.

I have serious concerns with the term gammon, i know it is media short hand for a type of person in much the same way as snowflake or millenial. However it will quickly create a stereotype for a group of people, in this caee white males over a certain age. It is no different from a “gammon” having stereotypical views on certain groups of society.

In the end it wil lead to people making assumptions about an individuals values, ethos and opinions  based on their race, sex and age. Creating a group title to criticise people for having certain blinkered views is somewhat ironic.

The term gammon will quickly undermine the sub structure of the moral high ground that people preach from.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 11

1 minute ago, shuttlep said:

Thank god for that

I know I am  an old fart and all that, not really up to date with the music of today 

I had heard of her but only caught up with her in the last month or so as her album was in Uncut list of albums of 2018.

On reflection, I do find it surprising that people who have Glastonbury tickets wouldn't have at least HEARD of her given that she's on all the end of year lists and had loads of press attention.   

In the event that you're going to the biggest music festival in the world and don't really keep up with music, it's hard to comprehend that Moonlight and Hidden Figures have passed so many people by.

Edited by RyanS

3 minutes ago, RyanS said:

On reflection, I do find it surprising that people who have Glastonbury tickets wouldn't have at least HEARD of her given that she's on all the end of year lists and had loads of press attention.   

In the event that you're going to the biggest music festival in the world and don't really keep up with music, it's hard to comprehend that Moonlight and Hidden Figures have passed so many people by.

I've heard of her and have seen Moonlight, but I didn't realise she was in it.  I'm pretty surprised regulars on here wouldn't have heard of her, she went down a storm last time she played, although that was admittedly a while ago in 2011.

21 minutes ago, GMF said:

I have serious concerns with the term gammon, i know it is media short hand for a type of person in much the same way as snowflake or millenial. However it will quickly create a stereotype for a group of people, in this caee white males over a certain age. It is no different from a “gammon” having stereotypical views on certain groups of society.

In the end it wil lead to people making assumptions about an individuals values, ethos and opinions  based on their race, sex and age. Creating a group title to criticise people for having certain blinkered views is somewhat ironic.

The term gammon will quickly undermine the sub structure of the moral high ground that people preach from.

That’s exactly what I worry about. I can’t stand the likes of Trump or Farage and hate the (mis)use of be words snowflake or millennial as a derogatory term too. 

• Upvote 1

she was one of the award presenters on the Golden Globes last night and as I was watching  it occurred to me to do a quick check of her UK summer dates in guessing (pre-today's announcement) what day she could be and I assumed it was the sunday before her tues wembley arena gig. 

If Stormzy was on E-Festivals I'm sure he'd love the fact that any act that is hopefully wished for by fans on here for a non-Pyramid headline set (Orbital, Chems, Janelle, Doves, etc...) is usually included with a  "any chance they could do the friday, ?" plea

27 minutes ago, GMF said:

I had heard of her but only caught up with her in the last month or so as her album was in Uncut list of albums of 2018.

Got to say I had no clue who she was until I saw her support Nile Rogers & Chic at iTunes festival few years back, she has some decent tunes that work a lot better live then on record, as long as she doesn’t clash with Stormzy or the streets I’ll be getting along to see her for sure!

Edited by Razza_bezza