Flares banned.

Sawdusty surfer

I remember the Chinese Lanterns in 2009 (or later perhaps), fekking hundreds of them, very nice they looked too and then the Eavii requested that people not use them. They very quickly died out. Don't think I've seen a single one for years now. Flares seem to have grown in use, particularly on the Pyramid. Last year however, there were definitely fewer. They're a bit naff in my humble. And they stink. I've been in football crowds where they've been let off and if you can't move away from them they can be very unpleasant (which admittedly you can at G). I'm there to listen to the music and have a good time, I'd like to be able to see the stage (or the big telly) and breathe comfortably whilst doing so.

22 minutes ago, Wilfko said:

The type of people who bother buying flares and are comfortable with the attention of everyone surrounding them being on them are not the type of people to give a fuck.

They may "give a fuck" if they get chucked out of the festival and/or arrested I'd suggest?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, Wilfko said:

I wonder how many flare related injuries there have been at music events per year? Would I even need to use two hands?

Yes you'd probably need to use your two hands and those of a fair few other people too -  info on that here;

An increase in unsafe use of flares, fireworks, and smoke bombs by audience members in recent years has caused serious injury for fans. While such articles have been banned at football grounds since 1985 (under the Control of Dangerous Articles Act), music fans have not previously been afforded the same protection – meaning that while there were 255 incidents involving these articles at music events in 2014, there were only 3 at football grounds in the same time period. - See more at: http://www.selbyandainsty.com/nigel-adams-mp-amends-the-police-and-crime-act-to-protect-music-fans-from-dangerous-flares-at-festivals-and-concerts/#sthash.jR2Kih9A.dpuf

44 minutes ago, Wilfko said:

The type of people who bother buying flares and are comfortable with the attention of everyone surrounding them being on them are not the type of people to give a fuck.. and long may they continue to not give a fuck, I love the flares.

I wonder how many flare related injuries there have been at music events per year? Would I even need to use two hands?

Does it really matter how many people have been injured, is there some sort of acceptable level of injury? - they burn at 1600C, they're dangerous and have killed people.  

Invariably it's not the moron with the flare who gets injured and I'm not volunteering to be the innocent bystander. I don't fancy breathing in the fumes, being burnt by the ash or having one chucked in my direction.

30 minutes ago, PretentiousThinkpiece said:

i got a sick phone wallpaper taking photos of people letting off flairs at the chemical brothers in 2015 so i'm dead against this

One came down and clipped my head during that gig and it fucking hurt. But I do agree they looked ace. That whole gig did.

1 hour ago, Wilfko said:

The type of people who bother buying flares and are comfortable with the attention of everyone surrounding them being on them are not the type of people to give a fuck.. and long may they continue to not give a fuck, I love the flares.

I'd suggest that four would be too many.

9 minutes ago, defrio29 said:

I think with the acts they have this year, there's going to be so many moments that will be perfect with some extra flares from the crowd 

I'm already coordinating my friends with green, white and orange flares for when the Sheeranator cracks out Galway Girl.

#moment.

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Yes you'd probably need to use your two hands and those of a fair few other people too -  info on that here;

An increase in unsafe use of flares, fireworks, and smoke bombs by audience members in recent years has caused serious injury for fans. While such articles have been banned at football grounds since 1985 (under the Control of Dangerous Articles Act), music fans have not previously been afforded the same protection – meaning that while there were 255 incidents involving these articles at music events in 2014, there were only 3 at football grounds in the same time period. - See more at: http://www.selbyandainsty.com/nigel-adams-mp-amends-the-police-and-crime-act-to-protect-music-fans-from-dangerous-flares-at-festivals-and-concerts/#sthash.jR2Kih9A.dpuf

Fair enough, never really been aware of how much of an issue this is. Back to medieval style torches I say.. certainly made the place more intimidating.

When I first read this I thought this was going to be about the giant wax candle flares that you used to see everywhere... I've not been since 2011 so maybe they don't allow them any more either?  

51 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

When I first read this I thought this was going to be about the giant wax candle flares that you used to see everywhere... I've not been since 2011 so maybe they don't allow them any more either?  

And those things are a bloody menace. The amount of times some twonker has nearly had my face off 'cause they're not looking where they're going whilst carrying fire on a stick at eye level. Fire and stupid are a bad combination.

3 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

And those things are a bloody menace. The amount of times some twonker has nearly had my face off 'cause they're not looking where they're going whilst carrying fire on a stick at eye level. Fire and stupid are a bad combination.

But how do we eliminate stupid from the festival?  The F5 madness on ticket day hasn't worked.

5 hours ago, Homer said:

Not sure I'd like to have a flare dropped on me/thrown at me in a big crowd. Are they not dangerous?

Couple of years ago when Metallica headlined, I was right next to a guy who decided to climb on his mates shoulders and let off a flare.....ill say this for him it created some instant space once we around him felt the red hot ashes falling on us.....could see how it could easily cause a bad accident though...what if one of those embers falling had caught someones clothes and gone up? in an enclosed crowd situation like that? not just the poor dude being burned but imagine the stampede to get out of the way-it wouldnt be pretty! so yes cool as they look this is probably the right move!

Edited by thatcrazypenguin

5 hours ago, Jamie D said:

I think sniffer dogs are usually trained to detect only one particular substance. If all the sniffer dogs at Glastonbury are only able to sniff out flares then that's absolutely fine with me

I could really get behind this notion... Dare I suggest a petition?
Strictly for fire safety, of course. 

I can never understand the hysteria over flares. 

But as people have already noted, just because they're illegal won't stop people using them.

Drugs are illegal after all ;)