Sawdusty surfer

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Precisely. Pointless laws created by dickheads in the real world have no place at glastonbury, and certainly shouldnt be applauded. Glastonbury is our world, not theirs.

Right - but Glastonbury has asked people not to bring them and they've been ignored. If everyone were following the Glastonbury rules this would be a none-issue. Fireworks were actually a huge licensing issue in the early 2000s, and they're making a similar comeback through flares now.

1 minute ago, shuttlep said:

I can barely remember to get myself where I need to be at anyone time during the festival. Let alone remember to take flare . Then light flare , 

It sounds like you may have been repeatedly forgetting to go and see The Courteeners all these years.

6 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Right - but Glastonbury has asked people not to bring them and they've been ignored. If everyone were following the Glastonbury rules this would be a none-issue. Fireworks were actually a huge licensing issue in the early 2000s, and they're making a similar comeback through flares now.

Chinese lanterns were (rightfully) banned, and have never been seen since. I suppose people just see the flares ban for what it is: a completely over the top reaction to a non-issue, and so ignore it accordingly.

Shit laws should never be obeyed. Which is why we all still take drugs.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

That was 94 mate, my first Glast. It was f@cking rammed alright. And some drug dealer got shot by the entrance to the Other from the market just before. Great times!

For all of my nostalgia about things aren't what they were   - tepees and woodsmoke blah -  I do appreciate the fact that I can now go down the front without worrying about it.

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

Chinese lanterns were (rightfully) banned, and have never been seen since. I suppose people just see the flares ban for what it is: a completely over the top reaction to a non-issue, and so ignore it accordingly.

And yet it clearly is an issue for some people. So what you're actually saying isn't that people should follow Glastonbury's rules and not the real world rules, you're saying people should follow Russy's rules and not the real world rules. The hippy "glastonbury is self policing and shouldn't be messed with" is nonsense. It's about what you think, not what the festival thinks.

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

And yet it clearly is an issue for some people. So what you're actually saying isn't that people should follow Glastonbury's rules and not the real world rules, you're saying people should follow Russy's rules and not the real world rules. The hippy "glastonbury is self policing and shouldn't be messed with" is nonsense. It's about what you think, not what the festival thinks.

Seems your reading comprehension isn't particularly strong, so let's just leave it.

2 hours ago, The Placid Casual said:

Be careful for the moshpit we're bringing to Barry Gibb when Tragedy's played :lol:

I will be more worried about going blind from the sun reflecting off his teeth and medallions. Not to mention the creases in those flares - easily have someone's eye out.

27 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

For all of my nostalgia about things aren't what they were   - tepees and woodsmoke blah -  I do appreciate the fact that I can now go down the front without worrying about it.

And people aren't getting shot any more.

10 minutes ago, Homer said:

I don't remember being as shocked at the time as I am now though about it. I also stood in the recycling field in the SE corner and watched as someone's home and livelihood (a massive live-in van)  went up in flames - no-one inside it but a complete lack of health and safety and no help came.

Couldnt agree more with the below Russy, but you do contradict yourself a little

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

Precisely. Pointless laws created by dickheads in the real world have no place at glastonbury, and certainly shouldnt be applauded. Glastonbury is our world, not theirs. If someone started chucking flares around then does anyone really think the police would be required to deal with the situation? I guarantee that the crowd would deal with the individual (not in a violent manner) and the situation wouldnt be repeated. The mass disapproval of thousands of people would see to that. The simple fact it never happens at glastonbury says it all.

I have no particular views on flares, and I suspect they are largely used by look-at-me-dickheads. But I will support those look-at me-dickheads right to behave like dickheads at glastonbury without fear of arrest until my dying day.

We dont need the old bill thank you. The introduction of new laws, rules and regulations at glastonubury are NEVER EVER a good thing.

I'd be saying exactly the same thing if mosh pits were criminalised.

42 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Shit laws should never be obeyed. Which is why we all still take drugs.

I completely get where you are coming from, but I'd say some things do need regulations on them for general wellbeing and atmosphere. I didnt go last year so didn't know if it was an issue again but the nos canisters at the Stone circle were a problem they were trying to eradicate in 2015, and I couldnt have been more with them on it.

25 minutes ago, Homer said:

Christ. I've never read about this before. Never even heard it off my parents who went in the mid-90's, although they never seem to recall any of it.

Were there similar incidents like this?

19 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Couldnt agree more with the below Russy, but you do contradict yourself a little

I completely get where you are coming from, but I'd say some things do need regulations on them for general wellbeing and atmosphere. I didnt go last year so didn't know if it was an issue again but the nos canisters at the Stone circle were a problem they were trying to eradicate in 2015, and I couldnt have been more with them on it.

Yes, sorry I wasnt clear. I meant externally imposed laws, rules and regulations. 

The festival banned chinese lanterns, and the festival goers recognised it was an important rule and they have never been seen since. We absolutely definitely dont need an additional law from some c**t in a daft wig in london sending people to prison for 3 months for setting them off.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Christ. I've never read about this before. Never even heard it off my parents who went in the mid-90's, although they never seem to recall any of it.

Were there similar incidents like this?

This is the only one I recall. We were walking into the Other field from the left of the stage corner from the market and we just walked past loads of police tape. Glasto was properly lawless back then and absolutely rammed due to fence jumpers, that Bjork gig being a perfect example. We were stood so far away (as was the drummer from Ride, I recall, who was by us).

Next year (95), my mate went to the toilet at about 4am and got hit with a bat. There was a whole of trail of people who had all been batted down the path apparently. My mate was up on speed (and booze and weed) and it took two hits to knock him over! The festival was properly 'exciting' then as you really felt it could go off at any moment (I was only 18 then) - but it's def changed for the best despite everything!

4 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Except it's well known that Eavis has avoided booking particularly heavy bands because of worries over crowd injuries. Metallica was the first step away from that and it's changing a little, but moshing was essentially "banned" for years by just not booking bands you could mosh to...

The problem at festivals is crowds of people that actually don't know how to do a reasonable (and safe) pit.  They see a bunch of people pushing each other around or whatever and run in swinging elbows and generally being a dick because that is what they think they see.  Over excited and over lubricated (in the booze department, not KY'd).  I tend to avoid pits at festivals now days, but will happily be down in the thick of it at suitable bands headline gigs.

Reading used to (like in the 90's) have reliably good and well managed pits.  However the influx of indie kids and GSCE celebrants really messed them up.  Can't think of a time I've seen a pit at Glastonbury worthy of the name :)

Anyway, lets not have flares, or flairs in pits, that sounds like a recipe for disaster.

3 hours ago, russycarps said:

Seems your reading comprehension isn't particularly strong, so let's just leave it.

If you want to "leave it" then the best approach is just to leave, rather than just throw out a personal attack because you don't have a decent argument. 

Thing is I suppose is that if the organisers want you to stop using 'em then really we have to respect what they want and it probably has a bearing on their licensing renewal. I'd love it to be like it used to be with fireworks going off everywhere and the place buzzing with expectation somehow. But then again I wouldn't want it to me that gets his tent burned down by a stray firework or burned in the crowd cos it would fuck up my festival totally. Perhaps there's an alternative there somehow - exploding streamer fuses for example...?