Next Announcement 2017 Thread

Gnomicide

4 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

They said right at the end they'd booked the first headliner for it (although we all know that's probably just a verbal agreement). In talks was for Vaz Baz in 2021. 

Oh I didn't watch the video. I was going by this quote in the article:

Before that, Glastonbury will celebrate its  50th anniversary in 2020 – and they’re already thinking about the line-up. “We’re talking to our first headliner for the 50th anniversary,” Emily told NME.

1 minute ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Fleetwood Mac maybe? If they're still going in three years.

Yeah that thought crossed my mind as well. But at this point they'll just be talking to whoever it is, and talking to others too. Nobody is going to firmly commit this far out.

6 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Idk, I think I was just fatigued from the crap-fest that was the awards to that point, but to me it sounded like he was trying to encourage other artists to engage with politics on an artistic level, which would be a fine point coming from someone like M.I.A. or Kendrick, but I feel it's a bit hypocritical coming from someone who doesn't write political music.

If he was talking about just bringing up issues in interviews/ in between songs then fair enough.

Yeah that's fair enough - I'd given up watching by then so I couldn't comment on the context. But he is willing to bring up issues surrounding society and the media quite frequently and it's a shame that he gets slapped down for being 'edgy' or 'a gobshite' because he's a pop singer. But yeah if he was on about writing political songs then of the songs of his I've heard, if there is any politcial edge then it must be quite subtle.

2 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Matt Healy convincing bands to get political, just like the biting satire of The 1975's songs of doing a bit too much cocaine and wondering if the girl at the pop bar you went to ironically is looking at you.

I mean, fair enough if you don't like them but let's not pretend there isn't a bit more to it. Couple of verses off their last album...

921cf32ca6db544d4f2c40334bd64e06.pngcdaba361f337724eab9ffc692afd8366.png

It's not amazing but it's certainly a step up from what you'll get with, say, Catfish and the Lads.

Edited by Mash011

14 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

I mean, fair enough if you don't like them but let's not pretend there isn't a bit more to it. Couple of verses off their last album...

921cf32ca6db544d4f2c40334bd64e06.pngcdaba361f337724eab9ffc692afd8366.png

It's not amazing but it's certainly a step up from what you'll get with, say, Catfish and the Lads.

Yeah, also Love Me has elements of a social commentary, albeit wrapped up so tightly in a big fat juicy box of bubblegum pop you'd struggle to notice. As you say they're not Kendrick Lamar but they're not McFly either.

7 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

So with VB pushed back to 2021 I can't help but feel the fallow year might be pushed back too...

Either that or they've decided to run VB in years when the main fest is on after all ... even with the strength of Glastonbury's brand, cancelling the main fest twice in four years would be risky

44 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

I agree with you there, it's just the "if your music isn’t purposefully informative, then there’s no point to it" is a bit silly when they're not a particularly political band.

7 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

i assume this 2020 headliner must be ginormous/not usually do festivals if they're in talks this early, although fuck knows who that could be (Zeppelin spring to mind, but surely not).

Maybe they will pick iconic acts from the history of the festival? Pulp or Blur for example would be very special for the anniversary. 

8 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

i assume this 2020 headliner must be ginormous/not usually do festivals if they're in talks this early, although fuck knows who that could be (Zeppelin spring to mind, but surely not).

Perhaps it's finally the holy grail...Floyd :o

1 hour ago, reflekting said:

Maybe they will pick iconic acts from the history of the festival? Pulp or Blur for example would be very special for the anniversary. 

Its all well and good saying that, but we all know we'd end up with coldplay again if they went with that logic...