Next Announcement 2017 Thread

Gnomicide

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Who would you rather played?

Dunno, actually.

Tactically maybe La Ross, on the assumption that Bazza may deploy a wider UK tour at some stage.  

Though she also seems to be indestructible, whereas the Gibb bloodline doesn't appear to be holding its own so maybe strike whilst the Bazza is hot.

To me DiRo is a Motown legend and bona fide solo star, whereas, whilst Baz was obviously the main man in the Bee Gees, and irrespective of how many bangers they have, he's yet to prove himself solo. His album has seemingly sunk and his solo tour of Australia pulled, allegedly due to poor sales. It would be like having Mick Jagger in the slot singing Stones songs and one or two from his solo albums, i.e. he is a legend, but not for being a solo artist.

As noted above, though, he's not really doing it as a solo performer - he's doing it as all we have left of the Bee Gees - and I think that's quite an important distinction. 

I think it's also a fairly unusual case in the way that - often terrible - cover versions have kept his music living and breathing in the ether a way that didn't happen for, say, Jeff Lynne.  Or even Jagger, come to that.

As an aside, in a world where there were no other Stones alive to play, having Jagger in the slot would be a cracking booking. 

42 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Absolute banter if the Sunday Teatime Legend turns out to be someone completely left-field and underwhelming.

There's a horrible feeling creeping around my mind that it could end up being Simply Red, if only because the gods feel it fitting to reward Brexiteers with a double-bill of Hucknallism on Sunday.

about time they returned, tbh.

I'm sure it would be a great booking, and he's got more than enough hits to keep everyone entertained for 75 minutes, but to me he's just not the huge 'star' that DiRo is. Maybe I'm slightly biased as I've never been much of a fan of the Bee Gees. I'd happily watch either (or even better, both) though.

Just now, henry bear said:

I'm sure it would be a great booking, and he's got more than enough hits to keep everyone entertained for 75 minutes, but to me he's just not the huge 'star' that DiRo is. Maybe I'm slightly biased as I've never been much of a fan of the Bee Gees. I'd happily watch either (or even better, both) though.

I usually get tempted to go and see the legend act even if im not a huge fan. Barry Gibb however just wouldnt tempt me to the Pyramid Stage, but thats because ive never liked the Bee Gees so it's a rather biased opinion. With Diana Ross however id be all over hearing some Supremes and hopefully some Motown classics.

Regarding Ed's suitability to headline, it amuses me. I remember when Glastonbury just couldn't pull anything like big names to play. The festival was always about contemporary arts, and now they've got the current biggest male solo artist in the world, and some are questioning it!

5 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Honestly, I dunno if either of them can draw on quite the same  wellspring of public affection that Dolly and Lionel could.  Ross is probably as famous for being unpleasant as she is for her music, while to a lot of folk the Bee Gees are just teeth and medallions.  

Though I think the fact that so many of Bazza's songs were big hits for other artists (Steps, Take That, Boyzone, etc) would pull him through, and the same with Diana's Motown songs.

4 minutes ago, Familiar2billions said:

I usually get tempted to go and see the legend act even if im not a huge fan. Barry Gibb however just wouldnt tempt me to the Pyramid Stage, but thats because ive never liked the Bee Gees so it's a rather biased opinion. With Diana Ross however id be all over hearing some Supremes and hopefully some Motown classics.

What if she played Chain Reaction?

8 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Regarding Ed's suitability to headline, it amuses me. I remember when Glastonbury just couldn't pull anything like big names to play. The festival was always about contemporary arts, and now they've got the current biggest male solo artist in the world, and some are questioning it!

Beautifully said

23 minutes ago, henry bear said:

people questioned Mumford and son saying they could't headline they only had two albums, The same could be said about Edd only two albums. he does pack 19 songs I think on to the new album.. about 8 songs too many if you ask me. I hoe he does headline,  I really don't care for him. but each to their own. I did read though that his management company is owned by Elton John. Maybe this could open up Elton to do a Legends slot one year. and do you think he will bring out loads of cronies on stage. Taylor swift and so on.  would be an interesting show I suppose... the kids will love him 

I have a new found respect for him after I saw an interview and he said his music is for girls to cry to and eat ice cream./ he knows his audience and is creaming in the big bucks. Good lad

34 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Just my opinion but I just feel like he's too current - yeah he's undoubtedly huge at the moment but how long will it last? 

7 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

people questioned Mumford and son saying they could't headline they only had two albums, The same could be said about Edd only two albums. he does pack 19 songs I think on to the new album.. about 8 songs too many if you ask me. I hoe he does headline,  I really don't care for him. but each to their own. I did read though that his management company is owned by Elton John. Maybe this could open up Elton to do a Legends slot one year. and do you think he will bring out loads of cronies on stage. Taylor swift and so on.  would be an interesting show I suppose... the kids will love him 

I have a new found respect for him after I saw an interview and he said his music is for girls to cry to and eat ice cream./ he knows his audience and is creaming in the big bucks. Good lad

he has 3 albums. as many or more than plenty of previous headliners.

5 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

he has 3 albums. as many or more than plenty of previous headliners.

2 or 3 is enough If he headlines he will please a lot of people the youth being one and a lot of women. He will pull a big crown my 8 year old son loves his songs, there are worse people for him to like.

I still won't be there

4 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Just my opinion but I just feel like he's too current - yeah he's undoubtedly huge at the moment but how long will it last? 

Does that matter? We don't expect the festival to predict the future, but to showcase good music that a broad audience can enjoy. I won't be watching Sheeran but I don't question his credentials as a headliner.

My gripe is the festival doesn't take enough risks. I always think one of the headliner slots should be taken up by an act that is ready to prove themselves and take them up to that next level.

29 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

For somebody to be too current they would also have to be up and coming with possibly not even an album under their belt, they might be popular now but also a flash in the pan.

Ed Sheeran is not too current, he's the opposite. Yes he's massive now, but he's built up to it over a number of years and a number of albums.

35 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Does it matter? The festival is about contemporary arts. He's acknowledged himself that this will be his biggest year. There are loads of festivals that would love to have him play. Next year he'll be playing multiple nights at stadiums worldwide.

With the resources available to them, I don't believe that GFL have got any of the headliners wrong in the last decade. They've all met the criteria for what it takes to headline that stage, apart from arguably Basement Jax and Gorillaz, who in fairness were late replacements. Even Florence's set was generally considered a success in 2015.

You have to take personal taste/opinions out of the equation. I very much doubt that the person or people responsible making the final decision for Pyramid headliner actually enjoy the music of every single one of the acts they've booked? But they know what it takes and they pretty much nail it every time. Like Adele last year, Ed Sheeran will be a triumph.

3 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

2nd year in a row Glastonbury have got the biggest star on the planet as an exclusive. 

Yet people still question both acts , Sure Adele got similar reactions

On here yes but out there in the media world a shit load of people want Ed to headline whereas obviously masses wanted Adele top but the reaction to it wasn't as cheery. It was more so than Kanye but then the other thing I'm the last decade to have a worse reaction was Trump being president!

I'm very anti Ed as a performer - I think he is fucking shite, but he is massive and for the festival to get him is a coup.

Not many people think adele is fucking shite. Even if she isn't to their tastes, she isn't seriously disliked by the people who are not fans. Some people (like me) really dislike the bilge Ed performs.

I have a mate who really wanted to see him in 2014 and she said he was "pretty shit" and a big disappointment.

As massive as Red Ed Is (and he is unfathomably massive), he won't be universally loved like Adele.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

1 hour ago, gmb1992 said:

well, he was pretty damned huge 2 years ago when he sold out loads of nights at wembley, but he's got bigger since.

It'd be a huge statement for Glasto to have had Adele last year and Ed this year. While you wouldn't catch me within a mile of them, there's no denying how much bigger they are than the likes of Kings of Leon.