Next Announcement 2017 Thread

Gnomicide

3 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

At the time Mumford & Sons were selling more albums than The Arctic Monkeys, i even saw one or two local bands trying to emulate them by wearing waistcoats.

Yep you couldn't turn the radio on without hearing somebody trying to emulate them that year. Even fucking Gary Barlow was at it:

(Posted for reference - don't listen, it's shite).

Edited by FloorFiller

Ed's massive but I think he's boring - I think him having the monopoly on the charts down to people streaming his whole album is boring and I think he'll be a boring headliner who I'm bored of hearing about.

Let's get his announcement out of the way so we can see who else is going to play...

26 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

They're really not. Even if they hadn't done it before they wouldn't be in contention.

What is the definition of a Glastonbury headliner though then? Sell out arena tour? Florence couldn't manage that last year post her headline slot. Nor could The Who. Headliner status is surely built upon live pull and/or sales - and Mumford's last outing saw them sell more of both than Florence.

Florence is a weird one though, as a lot of people felt she could justify a headline slot rather than a sub position - and then ultimately, her chance came.

Mumford are probably bigger than Florence - just about - right now still, eighteen to twenty months on. Would we consider Florence a potential headliner again? Yes, most certainly I'd say. Perhaps we give Mumford a lesser chance because it was one of the weaker headline spots of recent years - indeed, were in not for Coldplay last year, all the Sunday headliners since the last fallow have generally been a bit of a dud.

Just now, DownboundTrain52 said:

What is the definition of a Glastonbury headliner though then? Sell out arena tour? Florence couldn't manage that last year post her headline slot. Nor could The Who. Headliner status is surely built upon live pull and/or sales - and Mumford's last outing saw them sell more of both than Florence.

Florence is a weird one though, as a lot of people felt she could justify a headline slot rather than a sub position - and then ultimately, her chance came.

Mumford are probably bigger than Florence - just about - right now still, eighteen to twenty months on. Would we consider Florence a potential headliner again? Yes, most certainly I'd say. Perhaps we give Mumford a lesser chance because it was one of the weaker headline spots of recent years - indeed, were in not for Coldplay last year, all the Sunday headliners since the last fallow have generally been a bit of a dud.

It's because the 3rd album sank without a trace, not because of their headline slot.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's because the 3rd album sank without a trace, not because of their headline slot.

Aye, they tried to change up their sound, ended up sounding like one of a million Coldplay rip-offs, the people didn't buy it, and now they'll inevitably return with a new album that goes back to their original sound but people will've moved on from that. Destined for a similar fate as Kings of Leon in releasing albums that get to number one and managing to sell out their own shows without actually releasing much memorable new music (and, of course, not being asked to headline Glastonbury again).

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

The third album, Wilder Mind, that sold more copies than Florence's HBHBHB and Muse's Drones, right?

I'm merely sounding out logic here, not disagreeing. I think Mumford are still big enough - but I wouldn't give 'em the slot in a month of Sundays.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Aye, they tried to change up their sound, ended up sounding like one of a million Coldplay rip-offs, the people didn't buy it, and now they'll inevitably return with a new album that goes back to their original sound but people will've moved on from that. Destined for a similar fate as Kings of Leon in releasing albums that get to number one and managing to sell out their own shows without actually releasing much memorable new music (and, of course, not being asked to headline Glastonbury again).

Actually, yeah. I think this is the point I guess I'm getting at. They're still going to be a commercial power - but not necessarily one for the Pyramid again.

1 hour ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

I didn't even think Mumford and Sons were THAT big circa '13 - though I definitely would have said they were big enough to top the bill, in the general convention of major festival headliners. What I do remember is that in '12 and '13, they were bloody HUGE in America. I mean, Babel finished in the top ten on year-end bestsellers for both '12 and '13 over there. Had they been banged up to headline Coachella in '13 - instead of The Stone Roses/Blur - that would have made a ton of sense.

As it is now, I'd say they're still big enough to headline Glastonbury - but as they've done it before, I'd say they shouldn't be that high up the list. Likewise for everyone else booked since 2007. 

Thank god they werent, Roses and Blur in 13 was great. 

You are not big enough to headline Glastonbury if you are headlining Latitude. 

I remember talking about Mumford at the festival in 2013 when i was sat down at the EE stand explaining how it was a risky booking but something Glastonbury could get away with and my cousin who went with me asked why I would say that and who I would consider another headliner Glastonbury could get away with and I said Metallica and she told me it would never happen. In my eyes if they took the risk on Mumford why not on other bands? It's exactly what they did with Metallica and Florence (granted she was not originally booked) but let's just hope they really keep us on our toes with the last headliner rather than someone who's currently dominating everywhere you look

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I'm still uncertain if them headlining Latitude is just one last stop off on this tour and so taking whatever offer they can get or if they've actually dropped off so much as to be a regular sized/slightly bigger than usual Latitude headliner now. Either way, the only way they'll possibly be at Glastonbury again is some time in the future lower down the bill, and I don't think we'll even have to worry about that for a while.

Edited by FloorFiller

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

I'm still uncertain if them headlining Latitude is just one last stop off on this tour and so taking whatever offer they can get or if they've actually dropped off so much as to be a regular sized/slightly bigger than usual Latitude headliner now. Either way, the only way they'll possibly be at Glastonbury again is some time in the future lower down the bill, and I don't think we'll even have to worry about that for a while.

Nope, they know they aren't an act for the long haul and got to ride of the momentum of 5/6 years. Fair play to them really as they've set themselves up for life now.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Or are Latitude just punching above their weight? They've nailed some big-name bookings in the same year other festivals have had them. And as Glastonbury always sells out up front, they could afford to take the risk.

Put it this way, Latitude have The 1975 headlining this year - and had they not played at all last year, then The 1975 headlining this year at Glastonbury wouldn't have surprised me to be brutally honest.

14 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Or are Latitude just punching above their weight? They've nailed some big-name bookings in the same year other festivals have had them. And as Glastonbury always sells out up front, they could afford to take the risk.

Put it this way, Latitude have The 1975 headlining this year - and had they not played at all last year, then The 1975 headlining this year at Glastonbury wouldn't have surprised me to be brutally honest.

They wouldn't have headlined this year at all if Biffy weren't considered big enough at all and they have two big arena tours under their belts.

10 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

Can someone explain what was said about there being an announcement tomorrow? I saw something earlier (admittedly when I was half asleep on the way to work) but I now can't find it... 

someone claiming to know told me Ed will be announced tomorrow.

I've no idea if it's correct or not. I've merely passed it on.

8 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

I think someone mentioned that Ed was announcing tomorrow. Hopefully the floodgates will open and more will follow.

He didn't randomly announce his O2 show for no reason, could have easily announced for a Friday on sale.....unless there is a different announcement before that.

I stand by that this time in 2 weeks we'll almost be getting the poster too.

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

He didn't randomly announce his O2 show for no reason, could have easily announced for a Friday on sale.....unless there is a different announcement before that.

I stand by that this time in 2 weeks we'll almost be getting the poster too.

I think most people are expecting the poster in about two weeks.