2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

2 hours ago, st dan said:

Just listened to the new Ed album .. it's actually a pretty bloody good pop record. #SueMe

I love Eraser, Galway Girl and the bonus tracks, but the second half of the standard edition mostly bored me senseless :( Just drippy ballad after drippy ballad, apart from New Man and What Do I Know.

There's a very decent pop record hidden in there, it just needs to swap Happier, Hearts Don't Break Around Here and How Would You Feel out for Barcelona, Bibia Be Ye Ye and Nancy Mulligan. Not that an overdose of snoozy ballads will stop it selling by the bucketload, but it probably isn't a good enough record to take him from the Taylor Swift league to the Adele league.

Edited by Zac Quinn

I was a fan of Lorde before today but the new single is something else. Such a step up. Saw her live at Brixton academy a few years back and it was decent. Wouldn't have given much thought to her but now this track has dropped I'd be all over a Glasto appearance. Get her and Lana Del Rey on the line up and start to form for a strong female undercard. Lana's new track is a massive return to form. Where would we want to see Lorde? Obviously her popularity in the UK is smaller than in comparison to the US but I think she could easily command a high slot on Pyramid / Other. Very excited for the new record.

Edited by jyoung

Agree with that Lorde song being a belter. Always had a little bit of a soft spot for her. But was still a little surprised by her seemingly very high placements on festival bills. Maybe bookers have had early access to her new tracks and have seen where her trajectory is heading. 

1 minute ago, big__phil said:

The like of Sleaford Mods, Ibibio Sound Machine, Grandaddy, Blanck Mass and Temples have albums out today. Anyone of these worth checking out? I quite enjoyed the last Temples and Ibibio records so might give those a go.

Based on the BHS track off the new album I'll probably give the Sleaford Mods one a go.  Not really my musical style of choice, but they just seem to have so much to rant about that I find it intriguing!

Just now, big__phil said:

The like of Sleaford Mods, Ibibio Sound Machine, Grandaddy, Blanck Mass and Temples have albums out today. Anyone of these worth checking out? I quite enjoyed the last Temples and Ibibio records so might give those a go.

Only listened to the Temples one once but I never got into it too much, not bad by any means but seemed to lack some big hitters that the first album had in Mesmerise, Colours to Life and the title track. Will definitely give it more listens though as I think it'll grow on me. I quite like the Grandaddy album too, seems to be getting great reviews as well.

9 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Only listened to the Temples one once but I never got into it too much, not bad by any means but seemed to lack some big hitters that the first album had in Mesmerise, Colours to Life and the title track. Will definitely give it more listens though as I think it'll grow on me. I quite like the Grandaddy album too, seems to be getting great reviews as well.

Yeah I've seen it's pretty lukewarm reviews. Shame, because I really liked the first one. I'll give it a go before I pass judgement though.

Yeah Grandaddy has got some good reviews, so I might have to get involved. It's so hard to keep up with all these new releases!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, big__phil said:

I've been through the Sleaford Mods one twice this morning and really like it, I was already a fan (and it actually leaked a couple of months ago so I knew I liked it but was good hearing it better quality). They're not a band I heavily defend because I get how their sound can be quite jarring but I love them and rate them highly. This albums up there with their best.