2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

28 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

On the subject of funky, Thundercat's new album is sounding wonderfully frantic on first listen. Very excited to see him live next month.

Dirty Projectors new album is also very very good. Probably gonna turn off a lot of their old fans but I can see it being one of my AOTY.

Need to listen to both of these. Saw Thundercat is playing 6Music Fest, so fingers crossed he plays Glastonbury. With FlyLo and Washington playing '15 and '16 surely it makes sense to a hat-trick of Brainfeeder acts.

Just now, big__phil said:

Need to listen to both of these. Saw Thundercat is playing 6Music Fest, so fingers crossed he plays Glastonbury. With FlyLo and Washington playing '15 and '16 surely it makes sense to a hat-trick of Brainfeeder acts.

Yeah I'm expecting him to show up. Assume he'd be WH but not sure what kind of position he'd get. Be party central either way (although hopefully not on the Sunday like the previous two - really struggled to muster up the energy for Kamasi last year).

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I'm expecting him to show up. Assume he'd be WH but not sure what kind of position he'd get. Be party central either way (although hopefully not on the Sunday like the previous two - really struggled to muster up the energy for Kamasi last year).

I wasn't at Kamasi last year (brutal clashes), but was at FlyLo the year before, and Thundercat did briefly pop out. Was a bit surprised he didn't play that year (with him already being on site), but maybe they didn't want too many similar acts on.

Do I remember you saying you're seeing Thundercat soon?

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah you may remember me saying it two posts ago :P playing Liverpool and nobody good ever plays here so obviously jumped at the opportunity.

F'sake. Well enjoy, always great to see a gifted musicians in the flesh. I really hope he finds an audience with this record.

7 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Why are you asking where other people will begin?

Because if thats where people that know the band begin then its probably a good starting point.

(and because i wrote shalt instead of should)

Edit: Just tell me about Spoon ffs, or don't whatever.

Edited by mjsell

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Kill the Moonlight, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga and Girls Can Tell are Spoon's best albums imo. Start with any of them.

Also, Father John Misty's new album has seemingly leaked a month and a half early. Sweet.

Downloading this just now, not a huge fan but I've liked the stuff I've heard from this album so far, the title track particularly.

44 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Back to Los Campesinos! new one, how much of a fucking banger is For Whom the Belly Tolls!? (Great/terrible title also). 5 Flucloxacillin and Got Stendhal's are two other huge highlights. Great album.

Sad Suppers, 5 Flucloxacillin and Got Stendhal's for me.

Really think it's their best album, which would make it all 6 progressively better albums. Is there any other band ever that a case could be made for that??

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

Sad Suppers, 5 Flucloxacillin and Got Stendhal's for me.

Really think it's their best album, which would make it all 6 progressively better albums. Is there any other band ever that a case could be made for that??

Early days but think I agree with you. This one is their most consistently great from beginning to end for me. Stoked to be going to see them in April.