2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

26 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

In my day we used to line up four or five of their sort, make them bend over, and use them as a toast rack.

I quite like the album, mind.

You know, you bat a pretty damn good average (thanks for the Sinkane recommnedation the other day - I'd not heard Telephone and it's an absolute cracker) and normally a Calgon thumbs-up is a sure thing, but that's a swing and a miss for me, I'm afraid.

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

In my day we used to line up four or five of their sort, make them bend over, and use them as a toast rack.

I quite like the album, mind.

Ah. The Lemon Twigs. Bent over in a cold basement studio. Hot crumpets burning their cheeks with shame. 

4 hours ago, Mardy said:

You know, you bat a pretty damn good average (thanks for the Sinkane recommnedation the other day - I'd not heard Telephone and it's an absolute cracker) and normally a Calgon thumbs-up is a sure thing, but that's a swing and a miss for me, I'm afraid.

Quality baseball analogies there, Mards. Spring training starts in ten days!

:)

Ben

On 2/11/2017 at 8:32 PM, fat_man_joe said:

Got the new Lowly and Austra albums this week and have had them both alternately on repeat. Would really recommend for anyone that likes a bit of spaced out alternative synth pop. Anyone else given them a go?

Banking on at least one being at the fest, too...

Just to back up @Scruffylovemonster's opinion of my musical stance, quite like the Austra album at first pass.  Don't know if it's one that'll get repeated plays, but pretty good.

6 hours ago, MattDavies__ said:

A downbeat new one from LC!

(Album is finally out next week!) 

Really liking the lo-fi production doing on this one, it invokes thoughts of HONY. John Goodmanson working his inimitable magic there. It's a pretty big swerve from the synth driven dreampop sounds Tom was putting in on No Blues, and this is a much more guitar heavy LC! than we've ever seen before which is pretty cool. I do hope they go back to that No Blues sound at some point though, now that's no longer "the new album" it's easier to stack it up to the others, and it's definitely one of their strongest. Pre-orders are being posted out this week. When my fat bundle arrives I will report here.

Listened to Sampha and Sinkane this week. Sampha's is really gorgeous stuff, I can see myself listening to this a lot. It's made me go back and listen to SBTRKT's first album as well, which is properly joyful stuff. Sinkane's I wasn't really that interested in, to be honest. There were some lovely tunes on there, but it just didn't hold my attention the whole time, and it isn't even that long.

On 06/02/2017 at 11:47 PM, dentalplan said:

I know your tastes well enough now Quark that I feel you should check these guys' album out. It's a little bit too long but seeing as you like White Lies and Sundara Karma you should get a kick out of it.

Just bought me a ticket to go see these lads in Brighton in a couple of weeks. Cheers again for the pointer Dental

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Really liking the lo-fi production doing on this one, it invokes thoughts of HONY. John Goodmanson working his inimitable magic there. It's a pretty big swerve from the synth driven dreampop sounds Tom was putting in on No Blues, and this is a much more guitar heavy LC! than we've ever seen before which is pretty cool. I do hope they go back to that No Blues sound at some point though, now that's no longer "the new album" it's easier to stack it up to the others, and it's definitely one of their strongest. Pre-orders are being posted out this week. When my fat bundle arrives I will report here.

I've loved all three singles so far, and I keep going back to them which I really shouldn't do as sometimes that ruins an album for me. Gonna put myself on a LC! ban for a week or so. Yeah I'm a big fan of No Blues but I'm definitely more of a guitar-heavy person so that's probably why it's working so well for me. I'm also really enjoying the lyrics - Gareth is a fantastic writer anyway but I think they're particularly astute this time round. What do you get in the bundle? This is the first Los Camp album out since I've had my turntable so gonna be straight down Piccadilly to pick it up. 

Have you listened to Sleater -Kinney's live album yet? 

4 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

I've loved all three singles so far, and I keep going back to them which I really shouldn't do as sometimes that ruins an album for me. Gonna put myself on a LC! ban for a week or so. Yeah I'm a big fan of No Blues but I'm definitely more of a guitar-heavy person so that's probably why it's working so well for me. I'm also really enjoying the lyrics - Gareth is a fantastic writer anyway but I think they're particularly astute this time round. What do you get in the bundle? This is the first Los Camp album out since I've had my turntable so gonna be straight down Piccadilly to pick it up. 

Have you listened to Sleater -Kinney's live album yet? 

I get paid on Thursday so I'll try to pick up Sleater-Kinney then, definitely want to listen to it on the LP first before getting a download.

The LC! bundle has the LP and CD, with all the inserts and stuff that usually comes with those, and a t-shirt (another fucking Los Camp! t-shirt!), and a 12" album artwork screen print.

13 hours ago, Quark said:

Just bought me a ticket to go see these lads in Brighton in a couple of weeks. Cheers again for the pointer Dental

Great. No probs. :D

On 09/01/2017 at 6:58 PM, tevaburger said:

The Orwells - from near Chicago. I haven't been into their previous stuff, but I've myself humming this one more than usual in the new year. new album out next month, US tour ends June 7, you never know what they might be doing later on in the month...

Okay I've done a u-turn on not being hyped for this album. This song's the best one they've ever done.

13 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I get paid on Thursday so I'll try to pick up Sleater-Kinney then, definitely want to listen to it on the LP first before getting a download.

The LC! bundle has the LP and CD, with all the inserts and stuff that usually comes with those, and a t-shirt (another fucking Los Camp! t-shirt!), and a 12" album artwork screen print.

Hardly buy/wear band tshirts anymore but I had to keep the tradition of a LC! tshirt for every album

13 hours ago, SPTFRE said:

Cabbage were mentioned a couple of pages ago. If anyone wants them I've got 2 spare tickets for their sold out show at the Thekla in Bristol this Saturday night. I'll have to post them tomorrowthough, so be quick. First person gets them for nothing

Last chance today if anybody wants these tickets